News   Apr 16, 2024
 128     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 529     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 

New Transit Funding Sources

This unfettered dependence on the province for everything is so pathetic. They won't even allow us to toll a highway that we own and pay to maintain. Thanks Wynne.

So, to summarise.... we had a proposal to raise money for the Gardiner that impacted people in the 905....but only if they actually used it.
Now we have a proposal for Ms Wynne to provide the finding....which impacts every person in the 905, regardless of whether they use the Gardiner or not.
And the 905 likea this better ????
- Paul

So, to summarise.... we had a proposal to raise money for the Gardiner that impacted people in the 905....but only if they actually used it.
Now we have a proposal for Ms Wynne to provide the finding....which impacts every person in the 905, regardless of whether they use the Gardiner or not.
And the 905 likea this better ????
- Paul
I actually like gas taxes better than road tolls.

If the behaviour you/we are trying to tax is driving....then tax all driving....not just those that drive on specific roads.

Why should driving into Toronto on the Gardiner be taxed but driving into Toronto on the Queensway be free?

Road tolls are like cigarette taxes....but only charged if you smoke at one corner but not at another.

I actually like gas taxes better than road tolls.

If the behaviour you/we are trying to tax is driving....then tax all driving....not just those that drive on specific roads.

Why should driving into Toronto on the Gardiner be taxed but driving into Toronto on the Queensway be free?

Road tolls are like cigarette taxes....but only charged if you smoke at one corner but not at another.

Except that as cars get more efficient motors, they'll use less petroleum. As more hybrid cars get on the road, they'll use less petroleum. As more electric cars get on the road, they'll use almost zero petroleum. That gas tax can only go so far.

Except that as cars get more efficient motors, they'll use less petroleum. As more hybrid cars get on the road, they'll use less petroleum. As more electric cars get on the road, they'll use almost zero petroleum. That gas tax can only go so far.
By the time they become significantly large portions of the car population you will have raised enough money to build enough transit that you can then look to other measures.

Maybe we'll get a new Hydro tax from all the cars being charged.

Campbell said the city needs to start talking to the province about taking ownership of the Gardiner and DVP and their huge costs, along with social housing, child care and other Toronto costs more suited to a provincial government.

This

And I'm starting to think Horvath plan to give the TTC back its annual subsidy is a better plan. Medias are saying that the Liberals compensation through the Gas tax won't come close to what the tolls would have brought to the city.

Also with NDP being pro-transit, might be a better option

I long for the day where we no longer have to deal with the Ontario Liberals and the Province of Ontario. I'm sick of Ontario standing in the way of Toronto's progress.

I think it was Mel Lastman, (correct me if I'm wrong) that mused about Toronto becoming it's own Province. There was much ridicule of the idea, but I always though it was a very legitimate proposal. Toronto's issues are not Windsor or Winisk's issues. Cornwall and Kenora have different problems than the problems at Yonge and Bloor.

Back