News   Mar 28, 2024
 217     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 276     0 

New Traffic Calming Measure - Impossibly Narrow Streets

hawc

Member Bio
Reaction score
Are the new streets in the Canary District missing No Parking signs, or is this a new traffic calming measure?

IMG_1566.JPG
IMG_1570.JPG

Although you can clearly see that although this a two lane road, it is absolutely impossible for two cars to pass each other in either direction.

Better still if two cars meet each other half way down this road, it is impossible for either car to pull over to let the other one pass because there are a wall of parked cars on either side.

Is this intentional or an oversight? This section of the Canary District is fully open and has been for a while.

I hate cars as much as everyone else on this forum, but this is actually kind of insane.

Attachments

• IMG_1566.JPG
    IMG_1566.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,269
  • IMG_1570.JPG
    IMG_1570.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,339
I experienced something like this living on a newly created street in Toronto, Joe Schuster Way, in a new development between Queen and King east of Dufferin. For a couple years those streets had no parking restrictions. Apparently they wouldn't implement restrictions until after the street had been there for a while and someone has put in a request.

Emergency services would have a thing or two to say about this. I'd tweet those photos at @311Toronto and ask what's up.

Has the developer handed over the road to the city yet? If not, the city is not responsible for parking rules (yet). Happens all the time in new subdivisions in the other GTA...they also don't get city snow plowing.

Tweet the Police about that Cadillac, too - wheels are wider than the body, that's a no-no. :D

My guess is what muller877 said - especially since it's cobblestone. No way that's a city-built street.

There is a parking problem here.

Narrow residential streets can be a highly effective traffic calming measure that saves enough lives to compensate for its minuses in ambulance speeds- as long as there are nearby arteries. But must have provisions to allow cars to pass each other. Like sections of no parking.

We are used to doing this in the winter with windrows on residential streets. Except it is year round.

There can be a problem if there are no parking restrictions on narrow streets, or where there are no nearby parallel arteries for emergency access.

Arteries must not be narrow, but this is a side street. Need parking tweaks.

I am not opposed to narrow streets under very specific conditions like all the above.

Last edited:
There is a parking problem here.

Narrow residential streets can be a highly effective traffic calming measure that saves enough lives to compensate for its minuses in ambulance speeds- as long as there are nearby arteries. But must have provisions to allow cars to pass each other. Like sections of no parking.

We are used to doing this in the winter with windrows on residential streets. Except it is year round.

There can be a problem if there are no parking restrictions on narrow streets, or where there are no nearby parallel arteries for emergency access.

Arteries must not be narrow, but this is a side street. Need parking tweaks.

I am not opposed to narrow streets under very specific conditions like all the above.

I'm not sure there is regulated on-street parking here - I think the idea for Lawren Harris Sq is that traffic should flow around it and not park.

Are the new streets in the Canary District missing No Parking signs, or is this a new traffic calming measure?

I hate cars as much as everyone else on this forum, but this is actually kind of insane.

I didn't know we all hated cars.

Hate is a particularly useless emotion, especially for an inanimate object. I'd save my energy and focus for the politicians who need to become more focussed on transit results than transit debate.

In spite of it all, we are judged to be the fourth most livable city in the world. We are lucky to be residents of Toronto and citizens of Canada.

Back