News   Apr 23, 2024
 155     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 376     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 

New look for the Victoria Park subway station (Brown and Storey)

Nice video's Drum 188. Those remaining bus bays are gone now though, the only remaining thing standing yesterday was one wall at the north end before the Subway structure. I never noticed that parking lot near the east entrance-will it be there when the new station is complete?

Nice video's Drum 188. Those remaining bus bays are gone now though, the only remaining thing standing yesterday was one wall at the north end before the Subway structure. I never noticed that parking lot near the east entrance-will it be there when the new station is complete?

When I shot the video's, I knew they would be gone within a a day or two.

Never knew about that parking lot at the top and expect it to be there after all the construction is finish. It was a small lot before the expansion of it.

They have gotten rid of well over 50% of the base of the old bus station now. I had a bit of time yesterday and had an umbrella with me so I got to watch the demolition team tearing apart the remaining structure in the rain. They have a really effective and interesting machine that is quite capable of this type of work. This machine looks like a backhoe but it has a jack hammer type of machine where the digger is on other backhoes. This jack hammer makes short work of tearing down walls. I watched it demolish one of the remaining walls of the base. I imagine they are going to have to dig out the old bus ramp once the old bus terminal is gone. Because I don't see it every day the work seems to be progressing quickly.

Nice video's! I am really impressed with this investment the TTC is doing for us local riders. Victoria Park is mostly used by and for 416 though some of the 24 and 224 buses serve the 905. With all the talk and money being spent on extending the YUS line to Vaughn Corporate Centre and the idea of extending the Yonge leg of that subway up to Richmond Hill it is good to see the TTC invest in the Victoria Park Subway station. The efficiency of transferring at this station will be improve 100%.

My wife and I just moved so I won't be using Vic Park station as much but am still grateful this station is being modernized. The buses on a single level shared platform and closer to the subway stairs and soon elevators makes transferring that much easier. We now live near Warden Station, one short bus ride to that heavily used station. I hope they have similar plans to construct a one level-shared platform for all the different routes for that station as well. It makes tranferring from bus to bus a lot more user friendly-all transfers for that matter.

Here are video's as of April 9-09. 90% of the structural section of the bus terminal is gone.

Only one stair remains to platform one and you can see it in this video.

A view looking from the south end.

A view looking from the north end as the dump truck was block a good view.

A view from the top Centre.

A view from an eastbound train.

Once the north end is finish, the remaining earth deck and ramp will be remove as well the remaining cover walkway.

It looks like it could be finish by the end of April or early May depending on the rest of the work schedule.

I think your estimate of 90% complete is pretty accurate I think. They still have to get rid of the old rising bus ramp on the east end of this station. The new bus lane won't ramp up because the planned new bus platfom is all going to be at the level where the present day main concourse lies. They are doing this whole demolition at a faster rate then I imagined.

I know this isn't part of McGuinty's just recently announced transit funding announcement, but this investment in Station Modernization by the TTC is much appreciated by myself. I am glad they are making the transfer between modes of transit for us riders that much easier and comfortable.

The ramp at the top and the slop is earth and will be excavated with the shovels. I'm not sure if part or all of it is coming out as TTC will need access the the Station power area.

Since TTC has rebuilt the top area for parking, they are putting a road into the station area. Since TTC is doing this, I assuming all that ramp area will be remove.

Only the north end and the walkway tunnel is.

By end of April most or all this work should be finish allowing for the main construction to start for the new bus bays.

Hey Drum118, do you know when re-construction of Kipling will begin?

Work is to start on the east end shortly.

With the decline of parking at Kipling, we may not see the new parking lots on Auckland at all. Over 300 empty spots on the south side that is normally full.

Since TTC has now lost the Westwood land that will now become a court house, it hard to say what TTC is going to do now as this was where the buses were to be place for MT until it's new terminal was built.

The New terminal was to start in 2010.

I think there is to be another open house for Kipling terminal.

What I want to see is how GO going to put in elevators to the platform as it cannot be done as is. With the talk of more tracks for the Milton line, some redesigning going on.

Yesterday afternoon I saw them truck in those large concrete tube like castings. I think they might be new sewer pipes? Most of the land except for the old rising bus ramp has been leveled now and most of the old structure has been hauled away.

It is Monday, April 20/09 today and I walked north on VP and saw a backhoe starting to dig away at the old bus ramp on the east side of the station. The backhoe was starting near the highest point at the north end close to the subway platform and I am guessing it will work back toward Denton Rd. It is good to see them work on the last parts of the old structure and soon they will be able to start grading and then the new station construction can begin.

The work seems to be progressing much faster now that my wife and I moved and I now use Warden Station. I used to see VP station everyday and the work seemed to go so slowly I never thought it would get down. Now I see VP once or twice a week and the work seems to be progressing much faster.

I imagine the remaining bus part of the old station that is still standing, right next to the existing subway station, will be part of the new station? The little bit of the remaining strucure is at the level of where the Mezzanine is presently and I think the buses will pull right up along there in the near future. It will be all on one level. The buses will have to go down a small ramp to make it to the level of Victoria Park because the present level of the Mezzanine is a few stairs up from street level. I just wonder about these levels and ramps because the future VP station is supposed to be fully assessible.

Back