Toronto Ontario Court of Justice Toronto | 95.7m | 17s | Infrastructure ON | Renzo Piano

Thank-You Towered!
For curiosity sake, How much taller is it than Hilton behind this site? I figure Hilton is about 90m?

I can't wait to see a rendering for this project. This site is important to me because I despised seeing it from my 16th floor window across the street at UofTs chestnut residence. On the weekends they would do construction and various repairs on the parking lot and not allowing me to sleep in! :mad:

Durham built a courthouse in Oshawa recently. It's alright:

Durham-Courthouse.jpg

So if I'm understanding this correctly.. They've selected Aecom (an engineering firm) as the architects?

Oh boy.. Off to a fantastic start on this.

So if I'm understanding this correctly.. They've selected Aecom (an engineering firm) as the architects?

Oh boy.. Off to a fantastic start on this.

The contents of the announcement appear to be quite different from its title - the AECOM mandate appears to be that of the project management and governance, establishing the requiremenents, managing the process to ensure the design and construction meets the requirements, etc. Perhaps the actual design firm is already a member of the AECOM team - but that would be reading into the announcement something that is not currently in the words as written.

That seems correct. Bert Clark's quote fleshes this out a little more:
“IO is delighted that the new Toronto courthouse project has reached this important early milestone. With the selection of a PDC team, we are on our way towards choosing the successful building team to deliver the courthouse using IO’s proven AFP approach.”

Urban Strategies and WZMH are developing the Urban Design Guidelines for this. Who wants to bet that WZMH will be the architects (ugh)?

WZMH did a good job with the Parliament Data Centre if something along that line on a bigger scale was designed I wouldn't be too upset.

Several of the architects who led that project are no longer with the firm.

Within the 'Justice' section of their portfolio, though you do have some acceptable projects (eg. Durham Courthouse), you've also got a number of things that leave much to be desired (eg. William Davis Courthouse in Brampton - LINK).

Looking at their portfolio, they've also done The forensic centre, CSA, Canadian embassy in Poland, etc

There's a recognizable style to their design for these institutional buildings, while still individually unique. It's quite appropriate; I enjoy the uniformity.

Back