Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

I loved having the Pan am games , I was at Panamania almost every night. I managed to record the fireworks.I recorded this video at the closing ceremony of the parapan am games

check out this video i filmed :

I took some cool photos as well. The pan am games was fun, unfortunately it cost the city a lot of money, however in the end I think it was worth it, it will be the best event to happen in toronto, for a long time.
Here is one photo that I took at the jazz festival and three I took of Panamania
torontosign.jpg
DSC03468.JPG
DSC03468.JPG
DSC03429.JPG
DSC01113.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01113.JPG
    DSC01113.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 960
  • DSC03429.JPG
    DSC03429.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,035
  • DSC03468.JPG
    DSC03468.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,023
  • torontosign.jpg
    torontosign.jpg
    741.1 KB · Views: 1,063
I honestly don't think the "it cost the city" a lot of money holds any legitimacy, without the games many projects simply wouldn't have been for years (yes even though the city was typically paying 1/3rd the cost). A better argument would be it cost the country as a whole money, but again it depends how you value the infrastructure.

I'm concerned about the quality of work done at Nathan Phillips Square. It appears that many of the new things are already looking worn down. Have a look at the roof of the new skate pavilion. The wood is cracking, glass is chipped, the floor tiles are broken and misaligned. The new Queen Street forecourt which was finished just before the PanAm Games is already looking grimy and misaligned. I tripped on one floor tile today. The stage is full of improvised additions and is already showing signs of rust. The new disappearing fountains have already had their grates replaced with bright yellow blocks.
And after a decade of construction, some major elements have been dropped from the revitalization. There are currently no plans for the walkways and for replacing the railing on the garage entrance stairs around the square. There are also no plans for Bay Street, most notably the ugly chess table parkette on the corner of Queen and Bay.
All that is planned are the arrivals of "15 concrete benches" (like we needed more concrete in the square) and finishing of the flame in the Peace Garden.
Toronto's Parks, Forrestry and Recreation needs fresh leadership. Strip down the department and start over with a team that takes pride in their work and the city.

r0xR41g.jpg

I'm concerned about the quality of work done at Nathan Phillips Square. It appears that many of the new things are already looking worn down. Have a look at the roof of the new skate pavilion. The wood is cracking, glass is chipped, the floor tiles are broken and misaligned. The new Queen Street forecourt which was finished just before the PanAm Games is already looking grimy and misaligned. I tripped on one floor tile today. The stage is full of improvised additions and is already showing signs of rust. The new disappearing fountains have already had their grates replaced with bright yellow blocks.
And after a decade of construction, some major elements have been dropped from the revitalization. There are currently no plans for the walkways and for replacing the railing on the garage entrance stairs around the square. There are also no plans for Bay Street, most notably the ugly chess table parkette on the corner of Queen and Bay.
All that is planned are the arrivals of "15 concrete benches" (like we needed more concrete in the square) and finishing of the flame in the Peace Garden.

You should document and tweet it - nothing gets attention like bad publicity.

AoD

Aren't these yellow grates the ones they install when they are doing work in the square, and during the winter (when they'll get driven over by snow removal equipment)? For some reason, it seems the regular grates are too delicate or something. Does anyone know for sure?

Seeing as they are yellow, and not simply the same concrete as the rest of the square, I'm going to guess it was done for accessibility purposes.

(Or they are simply a cover used during events to cover up the equipment, and just haven't been replaced by the proper grate yet)

If it's there 6 months of the year it should be considered part of the end product and designed accordingly. This just looks temporary.

The Nathan Phillips Square revitalization will be considered complete in December of this year. It will not resemble the selected design by PLANT Architect:

urbantoronto-2205-6347.jpg

There are far too many compromises. I'll be sure to document this shaming the city and its bureaucrats for selling us short and not having pride in their work.

Key elements like the walkways will remain untouched. Even the main idea of an open square surrounded by a forrest of trees will go unrealized.

That's sad to hear. We spend all these millions of dollars, only to get a compromised version of the original plans. What's the point of doing these design competitions, if the design that wins isn't built? I'm tired of seeing a second rate everything.

Back