Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

I'd like them to use the stage and the square as it was designed. The PanAm Games were an exception, much too large for the East-West orientation and smaller permanent stage. But the East-West orientation would work for medium to large gatherings. There's a lot of room from the stage to the ramp, that could fit thousands of people. The ramp itself and the roof could fit a large number of additional people.

The Peace Garden was designed as a secondary performance space in an amphitheatre setting, for much smaller performances. If you look carefully, there's a stage hidden in the benches across from the garden steps.

The City should hire a promo company to program the square every single weekend in the Summer and during the Holidays in the Winter. It's an excellent space and has engendered civic pride, long missing from this city.

I'm sorry to report that the Toronto sign will likely not last 15 months, let alone 15 years that the Mayor claimed it was meant to last.

It's already being held together by tape.

47pmhPW.jpg

It just looks like it's buckling in the middle, could they not place another screw there to hold the panels down?
There's nothing to put a screw into. There can't be any structure behind that part because it would show when lit up.

There has been a Twitter thread going on about the sign beginning to fall apart after just one month and it was reported that city officials said that the structure under the sign is meant to last 15 years though the panels — currently PanAm themed — can be changed and probably will after New Year's Eve.

The plastic panels look really thin - perhaps they could go for thicker ones that would hold up better structurally? Frosted glass and stainless steel might hold up even better.

AoD

There's nothing to put a screw into. There can't be any structure behind that part because it would show when lit up.

There has been a Twitter thread going on about the sign beginning to fall apart after just one month and it was reported that city officials said that the structure under the sign is meant to last 15 years though the panels — currently PanAm themed — can be changed and probably will after New Year's Eve.

What municipal department is responsible for this sign anyways?

I assumed the panels overlapped somewhat, so a screw and a nut would hold them in place. But yeah, that would only be a band-aid solution.

I have a bad feeling that the sign will be taken down for "repairs" and then quietly shipped off to a warehouse to gather dust for the next five years...

Back