News   Mar 28, 2024
 55     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 158     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 243     0 

Movies that feature Toronto

I can't remember the name...but the movie where Russel Crowe was the depression era boxer was filmed here.

The factory scenes were the Distillery District and they gussied up the mid-block Richmond Street entrance to the Bay to replicate Madison Square Gardens

Maple Leaf Gardens was also prominent as the interior of Madison Square Garden. A few pictures from the filming

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

There is a new TV series 'Lost Girl'.
Production on the series began in Toronto, Ontario, Canada in the spring of 2010, at sites across southern Ontario and at a small studio in western Toronto. You'll see a lot of Toronto's scenes watching it, back-lanes, streetcars, skyline, cafes, shops etc.
Oh, and there are many pretty actors and actress as well :D

I saw Piranha 3D today (don't laugh) and there was a trailer before the film for Saw 3D which shows Roy Thompson Hall and a few other brief landmarks. My friend said all the Saw films were shot in Toronto which I didn't know, I've never recognized anything Toronto in any of them unless I missed it.

I believe a lot of Asylum movies are filmed in Toronto and the GTA... not that I'd know by watching any of them or anything, of course.

And that's not quite something to be proud of either.

Toronto dubs for Chicago in 2002 film John Q.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Q

Take a look at this scene, top 2 images are from the film and the bottom image is from Google street view.

123nlc.png

[video=youtube;zGEx6bBUeco]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGEx6bBUeco&feature=related[/video]
It's at the 2:50 mark. ^

Whitney Block (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitney_Block) is obviously pictured here but.. were those art deco panels boxed in red ever there? There's a slight chance is could be because the filming of this particular scene took place a decade ago, and you can obviously tell by the trees.

---

"Red", starring Bruce Willis and Morgan Freeman will be out in theaters October 15, some obvious Toronto appearances:

Royal York @ 0:25
Fight scene on Front Street @ 1:19 (CN Tower in background)

[video=youtube;ayFfMfN5AvE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayFfMfN5AvE[/video]

Last edited:
Cinderella Man. It also had two beautiful Peter Witt cars from the museum done up in New Jersey colours.

Parts of Cinderella Man were also shot at Symes Transfer Station, an interesting building built as an incinerator at the north end of the Junction with great Art Deco architecture from the 1930s. The building is now sadly abandoned and deteriorating, though the city still owns it.

I just watched Kick-Ass. It was an amusing film, though not amazing. It did very little to hide the fact it was filmed in Toronto. There's also a few Hamilton scenes, including a parking lot off King William Street behind Capri Pizza. There was a lot of night driving scenes up and down Yonge Street in the vicinity of Dundas Square.

Even some of the establishing shots used Toronto scenes, like Commerce Court North area and the Logan Ave apartment tower.

The USA Network spy series “Covert Affairs†is also filmed in extensively in Toronto. Ironically, it’s not shown in Canada. Perhaps it will have the same luck as another USA Network show “Burn Notice†and get picked up by Showcase because it’s very interesting to see how Toronto is shot for the show. It’s usually passing for Washington, but they are starting to use Toronto in their storylines too. So far I’ve been able to recognize Front Street, the Royal York Hotel, Union Station, U of T, inside the pedestrian overpass that connects 77 and 99 Wellesley. They also shot an episode at Niagara Falls and at Bronte Harbour in Oakville.

I can't remember the name...but the movie where Russel Crowe was the depression era boxer was filmed here.

The factory scenes were the Distillery District and they gussied up the mid-block Richmond Street entrance to the Bay to replicate Madison Square Gardens

They also gussied up Queen by Degrassi for a scene. I don't know which one, I never saw the movie, but I did see the set.

Did someone already say :
The Incredible Hulk? (obvious one)... Yonge street looked really good in that move/Kick Ass.
The first Xmen was shot at Union Station/Roy Thompson hall.
Love guru
Heck! I should just wiki this!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_shot_in_Toronto

It's always fun to see toronto in the movies.... though in terms of epicness, NYC and Chicago have way more cinematic cityscapes/streetcanyons for expensive/action movies... toronto has too many open spaces/low lying buildings.. but these can be covered up by showing the ground or shooting at night. For example, i don't think there are enough buildings tall enough for spiderman to swing on in toronto.. the only areas i can think of are the CBD, Portions of bay street to the north, and Bloor.

Still waiting for the day when toronto gets a BIG ROLE/MOVIE like a superman/transformers/Cloverfield, etc.

Lights, camera . . . check-in

There have been a lot of shootings and people jumping out of 17th-floor windows at the Fairmont Royal York hotel.

But the hotel is dangerous only in the make-believe world of film.

The film RED, currently out in the theatres, starring Bruce Willis and Helen Mirren, made a mess of the chef’s office with bullet-ridden walls and shattered glass.

The hotel loves it. The movie company picks up the tab and pays the hotel handsomely for the privilege. The company even installed its own sound walls so as not to disturb hotel guests.

A few years ago, someone called 911 when a man plunged from a 17th floor window in a Jackie Chan flick, The Tuxedo. Only when fire trucks showed up did it become evident that this was also make believe.

Movie shoots have become a key revenue stream for the hotel, bringing in hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and filling in the gaps when there is a shortfall in occupancy.

The movie companies love the hotel for its grandeur and space with its four large ballrooms. The staff and guests love it because they can glimpse movies behind the scenes. And the hotel doesn’t mind the interruptions because it has someone to manage them now.

This growing enterprise was sparked by Kolene Elliott, 36, who grew up on a dairy farm in southwestern Ontario and to this day can’t tell a John Malkovich from a Colin Firth.

As a public relations intern from Humber College 10 years ago, she saw an opportunity for both the hotel and herself.

At first her boss laughed off the idea. But with vision and enthusiasm, Elliott wrote up a business plan that made economic sense. She projected a $200,000 annual revenue boost for the hotel — a figure that has since been eclipsed many times over.

“It’s a great revenue stream,†explained Kerry Ann Kotani, regional manager of sales and marketing for Fairmont. “And it’s great from a branding perspective, too.â€

Built in 1929, the hotel is especially coveted for period pieces such as Cinderella Man and to replicate the Waldorf Astoria in New York.

Elliott is the only hotel employee among the Fairmont properties in North America who specializes in the film business. And it’s safe to say, her manager says, that she’s probably the only one in any North American hotel with these specific duties.

Elliott’s title is film and entertainment sales manager, but she likes to call herself the “film concierge.†She handles contracts, fulfills crew requests and oversees movie and television shoots in the hotel.

Elliott, who has arranged to have about 25 productions shot at the hotel every year, has been so successful she has just been promoted.

Her new title is regional manager, and she is going to take the same business model to other Fairmont properties in Calgary, Winnipeg and Edmonton.

Toronto star

Back