News   Apr 23, 2024
 67     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 829     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 286     0 

MoveOntario 2020

To me, it is clearly showing an extension of the Yonge subway. The way they draw it is the same as the extension of the Spadina subway and Scarborough RT.

Plus, there are no BRTs shown on the Transit City map: no York University or Mississauga transitways, or any of GO's proposed transitways...

Even the legend suggests the map only shows LRT and subways.

I don't think it shows the Yonge subway north to #7...if it was a confirmed project it wouldn't show a dotted arrow north of Steeles, it would show a dashed line like the Spadina extension.

Here's an article from the Hamilton Spectator about their plans. This column advocates LRT, instead of the busway which seems to be what is meant by rapid transit. Also, the GTTA finally has a website.

Transit plan on the right track
Robert Howard
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jun 16, 2007)
There are few things that can literally transform a city. Hamilton's share of the $17.5-billion transit plan announced yesterday by the province has the potential -- particularly with a push for an "upgrade" -- to do that.

By the time children now in kindergarten are in university, they may be able to move through Hamilton -- at least through what we call the old city -- on fast, smooth, seamless and environmentally friendly rapid transit lines. One line would run east-west between Eastgate Square and McMaster University; the other would cross the Mountain face, connecting King and James to Rymal Road.

The province's MoveOntario 2020 plan comprises 52 transit-upgrade projects on almost 1,000 kilometres of new or improved transit lines. Hamilton gets a big part of that.

But what Hamilton really needs is the next step up -- the 21st century solution. The proposed rapid-transit lines for Hamilton would essentially be dedicated routes for better or larger buses. This is the time for Hamilton to push the province, and the Greater Toronto Transportation Authority charged with implementing the plan, to consider light rail transit (LRT) lines for Hamilton that would replace some buses with quiet, environmentally friendly electric trains.

It helps that Hamilton has a friend in high places. Former Burlington mayor (and freelance Spectator columnist) Rob MacIsaac is now head of the Transportation Authority and has the smarts, experience and perseverance to lead this multifaceted plan from concept to completion.

Within Hamilton and through the Golden Horseshoe, MoveOntario could make a real difference to the way people live. The average car commute between Toronto and Hamilton is now an hour and a half each way, projected to rise to three hours by 2021. That's three (rising to six) hours a day lost from home, family and other activities.

Investment and jobs are lost to southern Ontario because of inadequate transportation corridors and the resulting human and business costs.

At the same time, traffic congestion is a major contributor to smog and carbon dioxide emissions.

If the projections are right (and it's true that the best positive spin is being put on the plan), the combined projects will result in 800 million new transit trips a year, taking 300 million car trips off roads and reducing carbon dioxide emissions by 10 megatonnes. By any standard, and even if the full goals are not immediately realized, that's huge.

In Hamilton, the two rapid-transit lines could take cars and buses off the city's main roads and significantly reduce commuting time across the city -- making it much easier for Hamiltonians to live in one corner of the city and work in another. LRT lines would exponentially improve on that.

Hamilton has been between a rock and a hard place for many years -- trying to find a balance between relatively fast arterial routes such as Main and Cannon streets that carry large amounts of people and goods, and deliberately slowed main roads such as King Street through the core that provide for a more people- and business-friendly traffic flow. Rapid transit lines will help, but LRT lines could find the true middle ground -- quiet, emission-free and enabling riders non-stop runs across the city.

Connections to GO Transit's Lakeshore rail line -- also to be improved -- would enable faster commutes between Hamilton and the GTA. The Rymal Road terminus of the north-south line would be close to Hamilton airport, so a connecting link could be easily accomplished.

MoveOntario 2020 is the sort of megaproject that only government impetus and public money can make happen. It is the sort of revolutionary project we should expect from government -- and should have seen decades ago. The phrase "better late than never" does come to mind.

Yes, indeed, this is campaign season. Yes, there's a clear connection between this and Liberal hopes in the next election, particularly locally.

So be it. If it takes an election to flush out big ideas and grand plans, we can live with that. But transit should be free of partisan politics. Leaders of the opposition parties will have to be absolutely clear as to where they stands on supporting this project.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger and Hamilton council should make a case -- soon -- for upgraded LRT funding. Failing that, Hamilton council will still need to ensure the city's interests are not made subservient to Dalton McGuinty's aspirations for a second term.

At the same time, Hamiltonians should expect their council members to put aside any partisanship so that they can grab hold of the opportunity this seems to be with both hands. This cannot become another missed chance to further the city's fortunes.

By the time the next municipal election comes around in 2010, these projects should be well under way. If Hamilton politicians have not worked to their utmost to take advantage of this provincial initiative, they will, we hope, be held accountable.

The smart move in this provincial plan, furthered by a greater public demand for environmentally friendly public policy and spending, is to not use transit expansion and improvement as a carrot to encourage future growth that may or may not happen. This is modern transit where it is needed -- where people live, work and commute now.

The province is asking Ottawa for a total of $6 billion -- a significant but not unrealistic amount -- toward the plan, and says it will cover the remaining two-thirds. Queen's Park says it will cover continuing operating costs through the provincial gas-tax program. A sharp pencil and a calculator will be needed to check whether that will be adequate or whether Hamilton will be left holding the bag.

The GTTA is to report back early next year with a detailed implementation plan. A big part of MacIsaac's work will be to build and keep momentum on the projects.

Hamilton has been "on the cusp" or "seeing promising signs" for far too long. A lot of good work, good intentions and incremental projects and initiatives have pushed the city forward, but never to the point of breakthrough, of the reinvented city that Hamilton can be.

The Hamilton components of the provincial plan can be the driving force of that breakthrough. Two LRT lines (reminiscent of the radial-line railway and Mountain inclines of Hamilton's glory days) would really open up Hamilton to its residents, to businesses and to visitors.

From the GTTA website

"Once the GTTA has completed its start-up, it will become responsible for GO Transit. GO will be the strategic lever in getting the Greater Toronto Area and Hamilton moving towards transportation integration."

I saw a reference to this a week ago and was not sure if it was actually the case or not but I am very glad to see that is. One of GO's biggest faults was that they did not really have a regional mandate in the sense of thinking beyond just funneling people in and out downtown and all but ignored integration. These two changes are critical in changing the role of GO in the GTA. It is really encouraging to see the GTTA finally one its way and about to really jump in head first in developing a regional transit system.

I am still skeptical. Very little planning (other than the TTC plan).

Just a pot of money "promised". How many promises were broken the first day after the election last time? (too many to count). Now vote buying is not limited to the Ontario Liberals, it is a common past-time by politicians. The GO rail lines were probably just drawn into areas that they saw potential benefit electorally.

If it happens, great, but I want them to take a step back and design it from a point of view -- where do we want to be in 25 years -- as opposed to patchwork. My guess is that it will not be canceled completely -- but post election you will see time lines extended, and lines disappear without comment.

I'm also curious about the apparent redunancy between the funding for the Finch-Steeles LRT on Yonge and the subway extension.

This could just be a question of Miller's plan conflicting with a more regional way of thinking. I understand that, as it is, Viva was unclear how their buses would be operating between Finch and Steeles so it sounds like everything was proceeding piecemeal. Presumably once the GTTA looks at all this they will work it out.

As for speculation about the subway stops on the extension I figure that Steeles and Langstaff/Highway 7 are for sure. There will have to be another stop at Clark or Centre (probably the former) and then the only question is whether to do one at Cummer/McNicoll....

One of GO's biggest faults was that they did not really have a regional mandate in the sense of thinking beyond just funneling people in and out downtown and all but ignored integration.

There wasn't much beyond the 416 to integrate with when GO was created. The 905 population was very small and there were a lot less jobs outside of downtown. If the GTA at large had been responsible for GO over the years, I think it would have changed sooner...it seems like there's almost been an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality at GO to the point that even change for the better happens slower than it should.

I am still skeptical. Very little planning (other than the TTC plan)...The GO rail lines were probably just drawn into areas that they saw potential benefit electorally.

I wouldn't say that's true - pretty much every possible GO line in the city will see much better service. Out of curiosity, other than service to additional cities beyond Toronto, what more would you have expected from this plan as far as GO trains go?

As for speculation about the subway stops on the extension I figure that Steeles and Langstaff/Highway 7 are for sure. There will have to be another stop at Clark or Centre (probably the former) and then the only question is whether to do one at Cummer/McNicoll....

I don't think a Cummer/Drewry stop would be needed if the Steeles stop is placed south of Steeles (with an entrance at Abitibi or so)...since Finch station is north of Finch, the Cummer/Drewry stop would be unnecessarily close. And if Steeles is placed south of Steeles, that suggests stations in the Clark and Royal Orchard area or a single station at Centre. The former seems to serve more people and could trigger more development, but the latter might be better for buses from east and west.

Very little planning (other than the TTC plan).

Not really. Most of the local transit projects have been studied and planned as well. Even many of the GO projects have had extensive planning done, or are under construction.

This realy isn't about creating a definitive network. It is about clearing a backlog of projects and bringing the region up to a minimal standard required to develop a comprehensive regional system.

And I am sure many projects will change or disappear in the next few years. But that often happens since new expansion today could affect projects 5 years from now and many plans that seemed wise turn out not to be the case once more studies are done. You can pretty much guess which projects will be either last on the list or dropped even right now (new lines into Pickering being a good example), or projects that will probably be changed once more studies are completed (such as the GO crosstown line).

The fact that this is not a 25 or 30 year vision is one of its strengths in my opinion. It is lots of projects that are practical, realistic and can be achieved in a short amount of time and which will increase transit accessibilty a fair amount.

There wasn't much beyond the 416 to integrate with when GO was created. The 905 population was very small and there were a lot less jobs outside of downtown. If the GTA at large had been responsible for GO over the years, I think it would have changed sooner...it seems like there's almost been an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality at GO to the point that even change for the better happens slower than it should.

I understand that. And when GO was created that role made sense since that was how commuter flows were. It is just that GO seemed to ignore the rather important shift in commuting patterns which took place in the last 10 years, and a bit before that too.

That being said, it also is not the end of the world that they may not have been on top of things. 5 or 10 years of solid investment in GO, like may occur if this plan moves forward, could put it in the right direction. Luckily the problem is not that difficult to solve and the change in mandate is a healthy step towards correcting it.

Especially since what definitive network would make such a glaring omission as downtown?

True. Though I don't see it as much of a problem that downtown is not the focus at the moment. Downtown transit will have to be improved in what amounts to a short amount of time really. So whether they do that now or in 10 years, doesn't make much difference in the long term.

Out of curiosity, other than service to additional cities beyond Toronto, what more would you have expected from this plan as far as GO trains go?

The underlying is speed between any two points. Integration of the GO system and the TTC (and other transit systems) into a co-ordinated system. For the city of Toronto, that means:
- lighter stock of train (which requires level crossings to be eliminated).
- I believe one of the lines has track that is a tight S style (several S) which means the train cannot travel at the highest speed to the next location (not many though) [basically old freight track that was laid based on cost, rather than efficiency of travel] -- this track should be replaced and land expropriated to allow the most efficient travel between two points.
- electrification of GO trains (in relation to lighter stock)
- integration of TTC and GO (any point the GO and TTC lines cross - place a station near that point).
- much more frequent service in Toronto.
- hopefully this will mitigate the lack of an extensive subway system. It will also allow for GO to distribute people to locations other than the financial district in Toronto.

Outside of the city of Toronto, that means:
- more frequent service

Of course this will take political will, money and time.

Cacruden: Most of the points you made are being addressed. Transport Canada rules have to some extent changed allready and will be formalized to allow smaller regional and commuter class trains to operate on most GO lines. Electrification was announced for Lakeshore and a much more comprehensive plan regarding it will not be far away. Integration of systems is slowly starting, and given that the GTTA was essentially just created they will need a certain amount of time to fully develop integration plans.

So while not formally announced by GO much of what you say should be required is being tackled by various agencies and departments. It is fair enough to be skeptical when there have not been a great slew of details released but all the work to allow the kind of plan you described to be released in detail is taking place.

it is just that GO seemed to ignore the rather important shift in commuting patterns which took place in the last 10 years, and a bit before that too.
I'm not sure they ignored it so much as they didn't (and really still don't) have any funding to actually respond to it.

Getting a transit project in Toronto is difficult. Getting Mississauga to agree to beefing up service in York Region is pretty much impossible, but without provincial funding that's exactly what GO had to do.

I'm very interested in what comes out of the 2012 provincial election. Most of these projects should be well underway by then. Will there be a second round to get ahead of the curve and fill in the large gaps in the network?

I'm very interested in what comes out of the 2012 provincial election. Most of these projects should be well underway by then. Will there be a second round to get ahead of the curve and fill in the large gaps in the network?

I agree. This plan is good and I hope it moves forward. But what I find most interesting, and exciting, is what projects will start to be developed over the next few years based on this plan by and large being built. Those projects will be the ones that really pull the network together into something that will actually suit a city like Toronto (and the rest of the GTA too).

Back