News   Apr 25, 2024
 26     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

MoveOntario 2020

I think the actual implementation process will see individual projects reviewed, approved and coordinated by the GTTA. As it stands right now, the plan to spend is nice, but somewhat inefficient.

As to Toronto, I can see projects like the Eglinton LRT morphing back into a subway - considering the Transit City plan already see the 2.2B line being partially underground, with the potential for heavy rail conversion.

AoD

Very exciting. I'm disappointed about Sheppard subway to Scarborough Centre not happening. Maybe next election.

This additional press release is a big sign that GO service expansion means more than just longer trains. They're going to double-track the Bradford line and add more trains.

Agreed. And don't forget that all the announcements have focused on the infrastructure side of the system. Not only will you have changes being made to the design and capacity of the infrastructure which will be a huge boost, but when they also start to run smaller, more nimble train sets and begin that practice you will really start to see a different GO.

Edit: I also found it quite encouraging that the GTTA is going to be taking a proper role in implementing many of these projects and beginning to establish a regional network. It will be much easier for them to start develop inner-region connectivity on new projects where the ideal can be included from the start and give them a chance a chance to work through the learning process as well.

I don't understand why they have both 29 and 37? That's a busway and a subway to Steeles on Yonge.

And how will the air/rail link be? Will it be run from the Blue 22 people?

^
Blue 22 is dead. The link they are talking about will be run by GO. The Eglington line is also planned to go to the airport.

Why not an extension of the LRT from Union Station into the Toronto Port Area?

That project is already on the books under a different organization. This was a GTTA funding announcement. TWRC is paying for the Eastern Waterfront expansions.

Very exciting. I'm disappointed about Sheppard subway to Scarborough Centre not happening. Maybe next election.

Chances are probably no. After they build the sheppard east LRT, plus don mills lrt all interesecting at the sheppard line, i doubt it will ever get completed.

^Maybe they can retrofit the Sheppard subway so that it can be an underground LRT line like Edmonton. They could have special high-floor LRT vehicles that are built to a subway profile, but with an overhead catenary for power. It would probably bump up the price tag of building the LRT along Sheppard, though, and it would need a pretty hefty ROW. I'm no expert, though.

Note: Hey Mods, can we make separate threads out of this enormous MoveOntario 2020 announcement? Something like: MoveOntario GO transit improvements, MoveOntario TTC improvements, MoveOntario MT improvements, etc...

I could do it this evening, but just three - TTC (though most of it is Transit City, should I merge it there?), GO, 905 (MT, BT are integrated with Hurontario LRT, also include VIVA II, Durham, Hamilton)

But what about discussion about the announcement of being a network? Seriously, I'd like some comment before I start tinkering.

There's stunningly little discussion on this announcement to begin with, so I don't know if it would be a good idea to separate it further.

Overall, there's more good than bad in the plan, so I give it a thumbs up...even though the plan's one main outcome will be to hopelessly overcrowd transit downtown.

The YUS loop and most other downtown routes will be crippled due to potentially huge influxes of suburban riders and all the new SoB condo dwellers. Still, I'd rather worry about transit projects that are too successful than projects that don't get built at all. By 2020, surely, we will be forced to do something downtown (mmm...downtown relief line...it'll be useful for tons of new condo dwellers, too, remember).

I do wonder what will get built and what will be left on the side of the road...I honestly think some of the Transit City plans will thankfully be abandoned due to their extreme price tags (while a decent place for LRT, $900M for Finch West is absurd). Or, as I think someone earlier (I forget who) said, perhaps Eglinton will morph into a subway, which wouldn't cost much more, especially since they have substantial ROWs to work with out east and west.

OK, the GO train plans are spectacular - there isn't much to criticize.

The GO train revolution makes most of the Transit City plans even more ridiculous and obscenely expensive...but I'll bash streetcars another time.

There's so many little BRT plans that commenting on them isn't really worthwhile at this point - most will be quite cheap and will have local effects.

The Yonge subway extension is the best nugget in the whole plan...no other subway project would automatically thrive as much as it will. North York Centre's condos will march right up to Clark and the section north of Finch station should be 100,000+ riders right off the bat. The YUS line will become very crowded, but "too successful" is a really bad and only-in-Toronto-style backwards reason to not build it.

And, of course, the Sheppard subway gets no lovin'...no surprise there. I firmly believe Toronto could use a little Melgalomania...

A look at the map illustrates the strange obsession with NW Scarborough--it's practically solid red up there.

You mean NE Scarborough...I've mentioned many times how politicians and others with influence are completely obsessed with poor, underprivileged Malvern, especially the poor, underprivileged residents in sprawlly new $400,000 ravine-lot homes along the Rouge. It's not an accident that the 6 main Transit City streetcars intersect at Jane & Finch, Flemingdon Park, and Malvern, rather than where travel or development patterns suggest transit infrastructure should go.

Of course, for Malvern, the two streetcars will be in addition to the RT extension and the new Midtown GO service, all of which will fight for ridership from an area with 100,000 people. causing pitifully low ridership from Malvern on each route. Why spend $1 billion extending the subway to STC when you can spend over $2 billion on projects that help less people?

"The additional VIVA funding looks like it will be for VIVA II, which is the bus median. Note that a separate listing notes Finch Station to Steeles on Yonge as well (which will be built, then deemed redundant, like the York U transitway)."

I was wondering about that, too. I'm guessing that the Finch to Langstaff portion of the busway is to spark ridership in that corridor ahead of time, followed by replacement with the Yonge subway extension.

Here's a thought...under the MoveOntario plan, when the Yonge and Spadina subway extensions are built, perhaps the corresponding busways they're replacing are redefined as emergency vehicle-only lanes (i.e. police, fire, ambulance). Again, just a thought.

"The best thing for Blue22 would be if it ran as an electrified train, from Union to Pearson and maybe past that to Kitchener/Waterloo."

Blue22 was a stupid pet project of the previous feds, and nothing more than a glorified private limosine on train tracks. It's one of the reasons I'm glad the Little Retard from Shawinigan is gone for good.

Kitchener-Waterloo is a growing city region that deserves to be connected to the rest of the proposed GTA-Hamilton mass transit network, I totally agree. If MoveOntario is actually carried through, it wouldn't surprise me if the Georgetown line is the second line, after the Lakeshore line, to be electrified.

Considering funding is proposed for K-W's rapid transit project, who knows...Cambridge could be eventually be connected to the loop someday.

"The City of Toronto should be kicking itself for not including an east-west downtown LRT tunnel in Transit City, since it would no doubt have been funded."

In the King/Queen corridor, no doubt.

I just realised that the Yonge subway extension is shown on the Transit City map and always has been. So nobody should be surprised that it is part of this announcement.

No, that's just the Yonge busway, which is incidentally also funded in this Move Ontario plan. The subway idea is new, or at least hasn't been seriously proposed in a long time.

Back