1.1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 708     1 

Mount Dennis Planning Study

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
We don't seem to have a set spot for planning studies so I'm plunking this here.

The City has been undertaking a new Planning Study for the Mt. Dennis area which will see it transition to including a lot more residential and density.

As part of the study work is being led by Perkins and Will, that work is essentially done, though more consultation is planned.
A report on the above, and of the work to date are heading to the January 5th meeting of EYCC.

Particularly relevant to UT'ers is that the City is already using the not yet officially adopted changes as guiding documents in relation to several major applications, including 25 Photography Drive.

First, the links:

Report: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/ey/bgrd/backgroundfile-174349.pdf

Study Part 1: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/ey/bgrd/backgroundfile-174401.pdf

Study Part 2:http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/ey/bgrd/backgroundfile-174402.pdf

From the report:

1639756413316.png

1639756444426.png

1639756469484.png

From the Perkins and Will work:

1639756669212.png

1639756700213.png

1639756770626.png

1639756823494.png

1639756869606.png

1639756962711.png

1639757021941.png

1639757158444.png

1639757237524.png

1639757345332.png

1639757377238.png

1639757393285.png

Need one more post ................to be con't.

Article in today's Star about this planning study and how broadly, residents, businesses and rate-payer groups are prepared to be pro-transit and pro-development, so long as the spoils (enhanced streetscapes, parks, more jobs etc. are well shared
throughout the community).

Article is paywalled at time of posting.

Most of the article doesn't share anything new.......but a couple of things did catch my eye:

Councillor Nunziata:

She says she “rolls her eyes” when she sees the boarded businesses along that road. She notes the area is not zoned commercial, but residential, which means businesses can’t legally operate there.

Confirmation from City Planning, that the intent is remove lands from the Yellow Belt here:

Vanessa Covello, a city planner who worked on the framework document, says the study calls for the redesignation in the city’s Official Plan of land along Weston Road from “neighbourhoods” to mixed use, which would allow both commercial and residential uses.

Article in today's Star about this planning study and how broadly, residents, businesses and rate-payer groups are prepared to be pro-transit and pro-development, so long as the spoils (enhanced streetscapes, parks, more jobs etc. are well shared

Most of the article doesn't share anything new.......but a couple of things did catch my eye:

Councillor Nunziata:

She says she “rolls her eyes” when she sees the boarded businesses along that road. She notes the area is not zoned commercial, but residential, which means businesses can’t legally operate there.

Confirmation from City Planning, that the intent is remove lands from the Yellow Belt here:

Vanessa Covello, a city planner who worked on the framework document, says the study calls for the redesignation in the city’s Official Plan of land along Weston Road from “neighbourhoods” to mixed use, which would allow both commercial and residential uses.
The corporations would rather not see mom-n-pop stores located in low rent buildings or buildings owned by individuals, but chain & franchise stores locate in high lease ($$$) plazas zoned for them, and them only.

Councillor Nunziata:

Wouldn't those older businesses have existed in some form before zoning changes? I thought that was commonplace in Toronto. The neighborhood shop wouldn't be allowed today but if it had existed at the time of zoning to residential it was allowed to stay.

Wouldn't those older businesses have existed in some form before zoning changes? I thought that was commonplace in Toronto. The neighborhood shop wouldn't be allowed today but if it had existed at the time of zoning to residential it was allowed to stay.

I would imagine some properties qualifying as legal-non-conforming. I couldn't speak to the exact proportion.

Back