Toronto Motion On Bay Street | ?m | 29s | Concert | IBI Group

At least we know this one will be going through sooner then later seeing that it's rental only.

I imagine the rental market is seeing as much pain as the condo market. (not to mention
Concert's money, OMERS, has taken some serious hits on paper.)

People need to live somewhere :)

I thought I recall seeing some stats lately indicating lowering vacancy rates in rental buildings.

I imagine the rental market is seeing as much pain as the condo market. (not to mention
Concert's money, OMERS, has taken some serious hits on paper.)

I'm sure they did the calculations for the ROI.

Building a rental is more in line with a Pension Funds long-term strategy of growth and returns, which almost guarantees monthly income from a brand new construction in prime downtown TO.

Should the tread title be changed too?
Does anyone have specs for the building design etc?

I really didn't see how they would possibly manage to pull off a 40+ story building on this site.

Its too bad the city did not have that same vision back then, when they build those ugly slabs on Queen Street.

But eek ... the builders behind Jazz ? At least we know this one will be going through sooner then later seeing that it's rental only.

I just worry that the city is probably approving a shorter mediocre cheap looking building on this site, over height and design of the original proposed 50 storey tower.

Well, the 50 storey has been kicking around for five years, with no action on it, so I hardly think it was likely to happen at any rate.

I just worry that the city is probably approving a shorter mediocre cheap looking building on this site, over height and design of the original proposed 50 storey tower.

No need to worry about it. I think it's pretty obvious what gets built will be shorter. There's also no need to disrespect design as we all know height is the only thing you seem to care about.

Right, but something else that I'm afraid we might start seeing is projects being pushed though just to get some work going aka an economic stimulus of sorts.

The only thing they might not be willing to budge on is height ... unfortunately the same attitude might not carry through toward the design of the building.

Hey there is nothing wrong with a well designed 26 storey building/podium for that site.

Absolutely. I was referring to Diamante's 50'ish storey proposal. I should have been clearer.

Hey there is nothing wrong with a well designed 26 storey building/podium for that site.

So bad taste has won the day.

I like height and would love to see more of it in Toronto -- but not at the southwest corner of Bay & Dundas! The fact that the City planning department actually shopped this site for anything tall shows -- proves -- that there is no one minding the fort. Imagine yourself walking onto Nathan Philips Square from the Queen-Bay entrance. The vista that Revell created still exists, and that 'internal skyline' will largely be shot to pieces with anything exceeding about six storeys at Bay/Dundas.

So, Miller's planning department has sold the farm, it turns out. Surprise, surprise!!! There was still the hope that Nathan Philips Square would be a sensation, but Mayor Miller and his planning dunces have thrown those chances away with this latest development.

I like the Mayor's stances on social issues, but Miller has little or no concern for the physical city, and that is truly disappointing. Give me a pro-beauty mayor next time around, before other opportunities get squandered. We can afford it.

So bad taste has won the day.

So, Miller's planning department has sold the farm, it turns out. Surprise, surprise!!! There was still the hope that Nathan Philips Square would be a sensation, but Mayor Miller and his planning dunces have thrown those chances away with this latest development.

I like the Mayor's stances on social issues, but Miller has little or no concern for the physical city, and that is truly disappointing. Give me a pro-beauty mayor next time around, before other opportunities get squandered. We can afford it.

Miller is not involved with this project and he does NOT run the planning department.

Back