News   May 01, 2024
 484     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 232     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 308     0 

"Most NYC drivers oppose mayor's new $8 fee: survey"

So lets summarize the already 'congestion' deterants already in place.

Parking taxes: 10.375% for manhattan residents, 18.375% non-residents
Existing tolls: 4-6 bucks approx, depending on entry/direction/time
Higher gas taxes vs NJ: approx 5-10% higher

And has that stopped congestion?

Thats great. So let me rephase, how has the items already implemented "slow the growth of congestion and better fund alternatives to single-occupancy-vehicle driving." It seems during peak periods that the roads are currently at capacity and NYC's subway funding crunch still hasn't been addressed as its quite apparent these fees do not trick into MTA coffers.

I am not inferring you are wrong. Nor, do I think I am 100% correct. Just that from what I have seen from my point of view, there are already a lot of barriers imposed in congestion fighting. There is a lot of money being made off of people travelling with cars in/and into Manhattan, yet its not stopping people from jumping into their cars. The monthly costs of somebody travelling to manhattan by car via say the midtown tunnel, assuming 20 working days is already $165 (in tolls and parking tax alone) a month, assuming a 20 day workweek and they pay a modest $400 monthly parking rate (which for the most part could be a lot higher), and excluding higher gas tax rates. To me, if they can already afford it, another $8 a day, or $160 a month (vs monthly parking fees, gas, and current tolls) isn't going to stop people from driving during peak times (although it might stop more of the non-peak drivers). Unless somebody has a different point of view .... which is why I phrased my past posts in a way for someone to take the other point of view which I cannot see (as I see it as being just another tax grab by a city that is already overtaxing everything).

Also, the last couple times I have driven out to Long Island, the major congestion maker has been construction, and lack of enforcement of no parking/standing laws by the police on 59-61 streets (close to the queensborough bridge). Based upon these faustrations, it doesn't seem the city really cares one way or the other.

There is a lot of money being made off of people travelling with cars in/and into Manhattan, yet its not stopping people from jumping into their cars.
Maybe not, but at least people are being penalized for choosing to commute via polluting and space-taking tonnes of metal.

Ha, its true, but I wish they coined it that way instead of a BS cover. Saying that, sometimes I commute (drive) from 90s on the west side to the 50s in midtown (which is where I work and where my parking is). Its a sweet commute as I start at 7:30, almost clear sailing (except for the seemly never ending construction just north of columbus circle). Its quite easy as well to find parking near my apartment.

Another beef I find in creating a lot of congestion especially on non-one way avenues (like Central Park West) are either idling double parked cars (who the hell do they think they are, just because you are in the vehicle while you are illiegally double parked doesn't make it legal) and double parked taxis picking people up. Double parking on streets though are usually fine as its usually only 1 driving lane anyways, which is wide enough for people to unload whilst double parked).

Sort of related. BTW, I agree with what he says about the NDP on this issue....

Let gas prices drive you in the right direction
JEFF GRAY

May 14, 2007

Gas now costs more (in some cases much more) than $1 a litre, as you may have heard. But the ritual complaints about gas prices - played out in television news and on talk radio - feel strangely out of step with the times, given the current preoccupation with climate change.

On the one hand, most people seem to accept that we need to tackle greenhouse-gas emissions. On the other, a jump in gas prices prompts hysteria and conspiracy theories about oil companies, just as it has for years.

If gas prices really were outrageously high, it is hard to believe there would be so many SUVs and big sedans, almost all with one occupant, still clogging the streets at rush hour.

Yes, spiking gas prices cause real economic hardship for some and, in the extreme, could scupper the economy for everyone else. But most gas-price whining is really just chitchat around the barbecue, accompanied by the "what-can-you-do" shrug that goes with that other universal conversation starter, the weather.

What's really strange is the political whining, especially from alleged environmentalists on the left. Take the complaints last week from Jack Layton's NDP about "gouging" by gas companies.

Citing a four-page brief released by economist Hugh Mackenzie of the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, a left-wing think tank, the NDP claims Canadians are mysteriously being forced to pay more than the "real" market price of gas.

Multiple investigations of the industry have found no evidence to suggest any collusion between oil companies on prices. Perhaps they missed something. But whatever the reason behind the price hikes, shouldn't real environmentalists actually be pushing for higher gas prices?

Making gas more costly is supposed to discourage people from buying gas-guzzling trucks and SUVs when all they need is a subcompact, or from driving to the video store when they could walk. TTC ridership grows when gas prices are high. Car pooling might start to look worth the bother for some.

Perhaps, over time, more of us might consider buying (smaller) homes in denser neighbourhoods easier to serve with public transit, a shift that appears to be already under way.

That's the argument behind a carbon tax: Create a disincentive for bad behaviour, make the good behaviour look more attractive, and nudge the market toward an environmental goal.

One interesting problem with gas-price hikes, which Mr. Mackenzie's report points out, is that governments actually don't get that much out of them, because gas taxes (except for GST) are charged at fixed rates per litre.

As the price rises, governments get a relatively smaller piece of the windfall to put back into public transit and other environmental initiatives.

Even with the current taxes, and the alleged gouging by oil companies, gas is a bargain here compared with Europe. That won't stop the populist gas-price rants, of course, what with summer's long weekends on the way. But the sheer weight of public concern about climate change may soon make all of that griping sound very dated.

If gas prices are getting you down, instead of complaining, how about just trying harder to use less of the stuff?

jgray@globeandmail.com

Back