News   Apr 19, 2024
 608     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Most Dangerous Neighbourhood(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think by doing that they keep away the "locals"

Oh that's easily understood. Unfortunately, York, despite its vast size, is completely isolated - it isn't integrated into the urban fabric and doesn't interact with its surrounding neighbourhoods at all. Most of its campus is safely tucked away from the big, bad city right in the centre of the huge land it sits on bordered by Jane, Keele, Steeles, and Finch. It's ridiculous that its closest buildings of any consequence are a good 10 minute walk from the "outside", no matter which direction you're coming from. It's great that they keep expanding but they really need to start putting buildings along the main streets.
All the space along sentinal road is filled in with town houses so the "moat" on the south side is pretty much gone. I guess that infill will happen from the other directions as the university sells off land to build more "student space" so that our undergrads can protest without upsetting one another...

Actually, just 2 weeks ago I randomly decided to walk up George street ...

Did this before too...once.

The rest of South Cabbagetown / Allan Gardens / Moss Park is sketchy and colorful, but completely liveable. George street however is from another planet! I think this stretch inflates crime stats for the area in general, the adjecent streets are much better.

Crime in Toronto is concentrated around pockets of poverty often in clusters of certain apartment buildings, surrounded by middle class or wealthy housing which making most of these places seem completely normal. ...

Agreed.

I grew up around Morningside and Lawrence, Markham and Eglinton, and later Dean Park (Meadowvale and Sheppard). Despite the fact that my grandmother had her purse stolen three times (once from church!), I have never felt unsafe in Scarborough. For the most part, if you mind your own business and aren't involved with shady people, you'll be fine, IMO.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Regent Park yet. I've heard most of Toronto's drug dealers live in that area. Probably one of the poorest neighbourhoods too.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Regent Park yet. I've heard most of Toronto's drug dealers live in that area. Probably one of the poorest neighbourhoods too.

Regent Park is mostly a construction site at the moment.

I don't really think anywhere in Toronto is particularly dangerous, but Clubland has got to rank up there in terms of a place where people frequently do stupid and dangerous things.

Regent Park is mostly low income families who are newcomers to Canada.

The neighbourhoods surrounding Regent Park to the North/West/South are Cabbagetown/South Cabbagetown/Corktown (which are chock full of lawyers, architects, CBC employees , Ryerson students and bankers). Rough crowd indeed!

Actually, just 2 weeks ago I randomly decided to walk up George street ...

Ha ha ha. I lived on George Street, right across from the Seaton House for four months a few years back. What an experience. As with anywhere else, you don't really have anything to worry about if you're not personally involved.

Seriously... who do you keep "hearing" these things from? I suggest that you stop listening to whomever it is because they clearly don't know what they're talking about.

I don't have any real reason to be in "bad" neighbourhoods in the city. However, I did once find myself at the 7/11 in Flemingdon Park one April evening at 11:00. Probably the most dangerous I've ever felt within city boundaries.

But from what I've been told most of North Scarborough is pretty crime-ridden. And Northern Etobicoke is pretty consistent with low income housing (from what I can tell).

The anecdotes you're hearing about various neighbourhoods are dated. North Scarborough actually has some of the lower crime rates in the city (anti-gang squads and the like have been effective). There's a fairly high number of grow-ops but that has basically nothing to do with how 'dangerous' the area is or isn't. North Scarborough has over a quarter of a million people but has had a staggering 1 murder so far this year, and only 6 shootings. Yes, that includes Malvern.

My dealer lives in Cityplace... guess it's going down the tubes after all!

Seriously though, there is a very timely article in The Star about this subject.
As suspected, the George Street area really is number one in the city.

Dundas-Sherbourne ranks No. 1 in violence

Who would have thought the area around "The Love Cafe" could be a violent wasteland?

Last edited:
Regent Park is mostly a construction site at the moment.
Well the piece bounded by Parliament, Oak, Sackville and Dundas ... but that's only 1/6 of the area north of Dundas maybe 1/10 of the entire area.

It's got the reputation ... but I've stood along Gerrard Street their enough times waiting for a westbound streetcar ... beyond looking shabby, I've never seen or felt anything. Though living in Flemingdon Park, I never noticed anything unusual, other than all the interesting aromas coming out of various kitchens ... oh, and the roaches.

Danger is all relative until you've driven through North Philly (where Temple university is) LOL...

Regent Park back in the late 80's/early 90's was rough, but it's been in the process of cleaning up.

When you guys say north scarborough? do you not mean central scarborough?

I.e. South of 401 and north of Eglinton?

I was just looking at north of sheppered homes between Vic park and Brimpley, some where hitting close to a million!

I don't think dangerous would be the appropriate word to use for any Toronto neighbourhood, Sketchy is probably more appropriate ... lol.

Seriously... who do you keep "hearing" these things from? I suggest that you stop listening to whomever it is because they clearly don't know what they're talking about.
I don't see why I would be more inclined to take your word over the people I've been hearing it from. It's all pretty relative as demonstrated below. But even internet sources say Regent Park is or has been know to experience a high rate of violent crime. So don't get snappy just because you think it's wrong.

Anywho, another area that I have heard from a waitress downtown that was rather dangerous was Parkdale. Which surprises me since it is sandwhiched between High park and Liberty Village.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back