News   Mar 28, 2024
 442     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 382     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 731     0 

Most and least "transient" parts of Toronto?

wild goose chase

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't know if there is any way to measure or figure this out but do people have a general idea of where in Toronto people tend to be more transient and where the neighbourhoods/areas would have lots of churn (eg. many live for a few years and then move out, with others coming in) as opposed to parts of the city where people stay put or have stayed put longer (for example, lived in the same house for say closer to 20 or 30 years rather than say 5 or 10, or have grown up one or two generations in the same neighbourhood)?

Last edited:
I've often asked myself this question in the context of condos/apartments. That is, are there are large numbers of people who live/settle in the same condo for many years?

Does condo size and layout factor into it? Eg. A couple with no kids have less reason to move from a ~900sqft unit that they're already comfortable in as opposed to a young family who desires more space for their kid. If the family started out in a 700sqft unit before the child arrived, then there will likely be a desire to move to something more suitable.

I don't think that our contemporary philosophy of building many crappy small layouts is conducive for long-term residents. Rather these smaller units are seen as just a stepping stone for bigger and better things. However, this stem my out-dated thinking with the old expectation that a person typically progresses upwards in their career and eventually are able to afford larger/better units. Not so much any more in today's market where salary increases do not track real estate inflation. Perhaps market conditions will "force" people to stay in the same place longer?

How about the St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood? It's just a superficial observation on my part, but for some reason I get a sense that people stay here for a long time once they get a foothold here. Same goes for the Harbour Square cluster of condos. Across the street at Waterclub 1-3, I have the opposite impression.

Personally speaking, my SO and I moved into our 750sqft unit 8 years ago telling ourselves that we'd "upgrade" at most 5 years later. Fast forward and it's going to be 10 years by the time we move. Over this time, I've noticed familiar faces of only a handful of long time residents.

I should mention that my comments come from the point of view of a buyer/owner. Not sure what the renter's point of view would be on this topic.

Back