News   Apr 23, 2024
 198     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 320     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 555     0 

More Lost Toronto in colour

Mustapha: Shown in your earlier picture of the Coghlan Building at 7 King West, I believe that The Sword Tavern later became the Nag's Head, and then home to Friedberg money exchange - who did a nice reno to the ground floor in the mid-90s - until they moved to BCE Place. Then Stinson got involved, and an early plan for redevelopment of the site called for the Coghlan front to be incorporated in the new building. It wasn't, obviously, and I wonder if it's in storage somewhere or was ever reused as a facade?

Mustapha: Shown in your earlier picture of the Coghlan Building at 7 King West, I believe that The Sword Tavern later became the Nag's Head, and then home to Friedberg money exchange - who did a nice reno to the ground floor in the mid-90s - until they moved to BCE Place. Then Stinson got involved, and an early plan for redevelopment of the site called for the Coghlan front to be incorporated in the new building. It wasn't, obviously, and I wonder if it's in storage somewhere or was ever reused as a facade?

Urban Shocker, thedeepend posted the wonderful pics in this thread.:)

I wonder too if the Coughlan or any of the old facades found an unrecognized and unknown dumping place but are still there; hidden by grass.:(

Wow. This is worth investigating.

Stand at the entrance to the spit at the corner of Leslie & Unwin. Walk west along Unwin for about 30 metres and climb over the fence. Walk southwest through the trees and grass until you run into a stream. Strewn about you should find many large pieces of a very old building. The pieces are very large, pink in colour and have a lot of carved detail on them. I also like walking along the waters edge where you can find all kinds of stuff from different decades.

And what has happened to the facades and other architectural pieces scattered around the Guild Inn?

Are they still there, now after the Inn has gone rudder-up?

Courtesy of moi:

1970s.jpg

i love this old toronto... it's so gloomy and heavy -- all those stained maroons and rotten creams.

I'm never sure how much of that is real and how much of that is just implied by the film used. Certainly the world didn't have a heavy yellowish cast up until the late 80s.

yes who can forget those fab plaid suit jackets of the early 70's! a real "what were they thinking??" moment...

yestallions.jpg

i miss that moderne Kresge's store--along with the moderne Woolworths on the corner of College and Yonge...

Woolco: not so much...

Woolco_Grand_Opening.jpg

WoolcoAd01.gif

Last edited:

Back