Toronto Monde | 149.95m | 44s | Great Gulf | Moshe Safdie

According to the New Condo Guide magazine "Sales have been so successful that Great Gulf has announced the start of construction for spring of 2015"
vol 18 issue 19 pg 27

I am so glad to hear that. This is the one building I really want to see go up and I was worried because I kept hearing (on UT) that sales weren't going well. I really like the design of this tower and its size. It will make a strong statement on the waterfront skyline. I also love the fact that it will line the park with retail and bring some animation to this area. It's a huge win for the waterfront and Toronto. It's also nice to see a building by Moshe Safdie finally get built in Toronto. Those shovels can't come soon enough!

Last edited:
Agreed! Should be a great project. I recall it going on sale in November 2011, so once built it will be about 6 years from start to finish. Only because of location!

Yes, it should help the WT push for additional funding for the East Bayfront LRT. This note in the October CEO Report was interesting as it seems to imply (or I infer) that getting 45 Bay built should bring this closer.

Waterfront Toronto continues to work with the City of Toronto and the private sector to secure the East Bayfront LRT platform that was identified on 45 Bay St. (east of the Air Canada Centre). Ivanhoe Cambridge has submitted a site plan application for 45 Bay St. to develop a 54 storey, 1.3 million square foot office building which includes a new GO bus terminal. The developer has allotted space for the LRT platform in their submission. Waterfront Toronto will work with the City of Toronto to confirm station requirements and protect for the future platform physical space requirements which will be constructed once funding for the LRT has been secured.

If Great Gulf does this one right it should look real awesome. With its square balconies sticking outwards and plant life vegetation hanging from it, would look real ideal for the waterfront. Nice job no square box building look!

The practical significance of the tapered tower is that it maximizes the number of units with views of the lake. It also looks distinctive. I'm confident that Great Gulf will do a good job with this project. Though it's going to take another 5-10 years to complete the area, waterfront real estate will always be valuable.

Application: Partial Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 256851 SHO 00 PP Accepted Date: Nov 27, 2014

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res Partial Permit - Shoring

Description: Part Permit - Proposal to construct a 44 storey condo with 552 residential units, 9 storey podium, 5 levels of below grade parking, and commercial at ground floor. See also 11 294755 STE, 13 227411 ZPR, and the OMB decision.

The Monde ground breaking was yesterday, here's a few pics that weren't included in the article:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0240.JPG
    DSC_0240.JPG
    971.9 KB · Views: 917
  • DSC_0236.JPG
    DSC_0236.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 918
  • DSC_0235.JPG
    DSC_0235.JPG
    691.7 KB · Views: 936
  • DSC_0234.JPG
    DSC_0234.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 929
  • DSC_0233.JPG
    DSC_0233.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 921
  • DSC_0232.JPG
    DSC_0232.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 907
This is one of the few waterfront buildings that I like, so I too am happy this is finally being built. I like the fact that this will block out the Gardiner, as well as frame Sherbourne Common Park with retail. (lots of benefits here besides a cool, unique design)

My favourite new under construction project, displacing my old fave, Picasso--but it's close. Have to wait for completion of both before really deciding.

Back