Toronto Auto BLDG | 54.86m | 10s | Castlepoint Numa | a—A

The additional floors could be handled well with good setbacks and proportions, and complimentary design elements like the windows; however, it's hard to tell how they'll look from that rendering. This remarkable heritage building currently has a contrast of white/beige and red brick sections which is quite attractive and appears to be the original design, but the rendering shows an all-white/beige building which is less striking than its current appearance. The change seems to be arbitrary. They should preserve that colour and contrast in the sections of red brick.

It appears that the new windows will take up the entire space that is currently filled in with red brick. While I understand that people want windows, especially on the lower levels that have none, I really hope they retain some of the red brick, as the contrast is an important part of the design. I have a feeling that the building will look significantly different once the new windows are punched out, and the addition is built...

Is there a confirmed master plan for the area. Are they demolishing all the old industrial buildings (including the industrial chimneys)?

I am really interested in this project as I have always driven by that building and thought it would be nice to turn into a loft. Also, I am dissapointed that they are getting rid of the red brick. They should keep some of it framed around the windows.

Is there a confirmed master plan for the area. Are they demolishing all the old industrial buildings (including the industrial chimneys)?

I am really interested in this project as I have always driven by that building and thought it would be nice to turn into a loft. Also, I am dissapointed that they are getting rid of the red brick. They should keep some of it framed around the windows.

I don't think there's a finalized master plan for the area, but they've been working on one for a couple of years, batting ideas around between themselves, city, and community. Long story short: New road alignments, mixed-use towers / midrise and townhouses.

As for the buildings and chimney: Everything on the site has been demo'd, except for the heritage tower. Chimney and nice brick facades along Perth/Sterling are gone (summer/autumn 2010).

Tower Automotive: Chimney Demolition by Vic Gedris, on Flickr

Last edited:
Why would they do that?!? :( This could have been the next Liberty Village/Distellery District

I don't think there's a finalized master plan for the area, but they've been working on one for a couple of years, batting ideas around between themselves, city, and community. Long story short: New road alignments, mixed-use towers / midrise and townhouses.

As for the buildings and chimney: Everything on the site has been demo'd, except for the heritage tower. Chimney and nice brick facades along Perth/Sterling are gone (summer/autumn 20120).

Tower Automotive: Chimney Demolition by Vic Gedris, on Flickr

Why would they do that?!? :( This could have been the next Liberty Village/Distellery District

In earlier meetings a few years ago, they said they hopes to keep the chimney and the Perth/Sterling facades.... but then ended up having to demo those features because of the required soil remediation underneath then.

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed too....

So is all of this gone?

Google Streetview

The facades on the left side of the street in that view are gone. They helped give the street its sense of place, curving nicely with the road and providing a heritage industrial vista. To those in the community: reconstruction to the original specs would be positive, and you agree, then speak up at the meetings. I live in The Junction with a different councillor, but I suppose I would go and speak if I weren't outside the city for the next few months.

^^I believe you mean right side of the street as that link is facing. You also might say that the "heritage industrial vista" creates an unappealing streetfront with grossly inadequate sidewalk space whose only redeeming characteristic is the use of actual brick, and if the goal is to have storefronts or other animating characteristics, the existing facade would need to be changed in any event.

^^I believe you mean right side of the street as that link is facing. You also might say that the "heritage industrial vista" creates an unappealing streetfront with grossly inadequate sidewalk space whose only redeeming characteristic is the use of actual brick, and if the goal is to have storefronts or other animating characteristics, the existing facade would need to be changed in any event.

No, the building on the right in that scene is still standing and in use; the buildings on the left were demolished. Both sides of the street have room for nearly avenue-scaled sidewalks, but this is a side street. Here's a better view of the facades in question. I find early 20th century industrial architecture to be appealing for its modern simplicity and often unexpected and subtle but perceptible details in the windows, brickwork, and forms. Many people like the restored and converted warehouses of Liberty Village both for office and residential space.

In this case, I love the massive industrial sash windows which are derelict in the street view, but potentially beautiful if rebuilt. The additional band of sloped industrial skylights above them are great, too. I could see a chic store behind that facade, and with windows like that, the streetscape would be interesting. They could also be lofts. Subtle modifications are possible.

But there's more to the vista than just the left side. Amidst all the straight lines of this proto-modern industrial streetscape, one sees another building with a pitched roof, almost aligned with the centre of the street, with a bold circular smokestack towering above. That's the heritage vista, and if we can keep it, and carefully adapt it to new uses, then this neighbourhood and our city will be more interesting for it. It could be a beautiful streetscape with the rebuilt facade, (slightly) widened sidewalks, buried overhead wires, ornamental streetlights, and quality landscaping around the facade.

Last edited:
^^You are right, I was turned around looking at streetview.

I don't disagree that if left standing there may have been some ability to make something workable out of it, but if it is to have any entrances along this stretch it will need to be substantially modified. But since they had to tear it down for environmental reasons, it just doesn't strike me as the sort of thing worth rebuilding to spec. I would hope that Castlefield would use brick and preserve the industrial feel of the area and be able to build something better.

There's been talk about using brick as a nod to what was there before.

Another thing about that east-west section of Sterling Rd.: Castlepoint has talked about putting in a separated bikeway along there, which would link to the (future) park and West Toronto Railpath on the west side, and to an at-grade rail crossing (Newmarket/Barrie tracks) on the east side. This, of course, would be highly dependent on whether they get that crossing.... I hope to hear more about that next week.

The facades on the left side of the street in that view are gone. They helped give the street its sense of place, curving nicely with the road and providing a heritage industrial vista. To those in the community: reconstruction to the original specs would be positive, and you agree, then speak up at the meetings. I live in The Junction with a different councillor, but I suppose I would go and speak if I weren't outside the city for the next few months.

Thanks for the response. It's disappointing to hear it's been torn down, but I suppose there was a valid reason, and there's hope it may be reconstructed. I love early 20th c. architecture as well, and despite appearing simple or disposable to many, I love the texture and fabric they provide. The narrow winding street and old sprawling warehouses give this part of the city so much character. Here's hoping for a thoughtful rebuilding and handling of the buildings along Sterling and Perth.

Back