Source: Twitter @77C15

Attachments

• Image-2.jpg
    Image-2.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 604
  • Image-3.jpg
    Image-3.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 593
This is the Mississauga equivalent of closing the DVP for Ride For Heart.

@Tuscani01, which distance did you ride?
I thought the ride was on a sunday...and I also thought that the transitway is not open on sundays anyway....if I am right on my two "I thoughts", it is a long way from being the equivalent to closing the DVP for RFH.

I thought the ride was on a sunday...and I also thought that the transitway is not open on sundays anyway....if I am right on my two "I thoughts", it is a long way from being the equivalent to closing the DVP for RFH.

You are correct. The Transitway was already closed during the ride, as there is no service on Sundays.

You are correct. The Transitway was already closed during the ride, as there is no service on Sundays.
it is acutally a very good use of the space if it is already closed and I wonder if, regionally, it could be used as a compromise solution for all the walks/rides/runs that raise good money for good causes but face some opposition when they "snarl the city"?

it is acutally a very good use of the space if it is already closed and I wonder if, regionally, it could be used as a compromise solution for all the walks/rides/runs that raise good money for good causes but face some opposition when they "snarl the city"?

I'm sure it could, though I can't see each municipality being so willing to give up their events to Mississauga.

I'm sure it could, though I can't see each municipality being so willing to give up their events to Mississauga.
They tend not to events arranged by the municipalities...they are events arranged by groups who then apply to have the roads closed.....Tory has clearly said he wants better co-ordination and will not allow more than one of them to take place at the same time (even suggesting that if co-ordination is not possible he will draw lots to see who gets the go-ahead)...so, perhaps, this valuable piece of infrastructure could be used to take the overflow when date conflict arises.

They tend not to events arranged by the municipalities...they are events arranged by groups who then apply to have the roads closed.....Tory has clearly said he wants better co-ordination and will not allow more than one of them to take place at the same time (even suggesting that if co-ordination is not possible he will draw lots to see who gets the go-ahead)...so, perhaps, this valuable piece of infrastructure could be used to take the overflow when date conflict arises.

Yes, but these events bring large masses of people into a city, and are a good way to show off a city, not to mention good for businesses near cheering stations, the starting line, and finish line. (And good for area hotels) They are usually held Sunday morning's anyway, when traffic is lightest. Hardly much of an inconvenience.

The Transitway should definitely consider selling itself to the overflow of events though. Bringing people in for these is a good way for Mississauga to show off the Transitway, and the Tour de Mississauga was literally a tour of the city, showcasing parts of it that many don't regularly visit. That's exposure that every municipality would fight for, save for maybe Caledon :p

Back