Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

It wouldn't be about increasing attendance at OHL games (which I think is a worthy goal) but leveraging the arena to attract bigger concerts. There is big money there. In the future, the city might be interested in a venue that can compete with the old Copps Coliseum (ie attendance of 15-20k) for acts that can't book the ACC. To me, a venue of that kind doesn't make sense at the current location.

MiWay still provides no two-way service along Matheson, so it makes getting to any location along Matheson, such as Hershey Centre, a lot more complicated than it should be, especially coming from the east. The north-south route, 53 Kennedy, only goes as far as south as Burnhamthorpe, and 8 Cawthra doesn't go past Rathburn, which makes things even more difficult. But then again the 53 arguably should not be serving Hershey Centre in the first place.
I can go back as far as 2002 calling for a Thomas-Matheson line that not only service the sport complexes, but a faster way to Dixie Rd or the airport corp area without all the backtracking one has to do these day.

Then, Britannia route was to service the sport complexes as well the airport corp area and yet to happen.

It wouldn't be about increasing attendance at OHL games (which I think is a worthy goal) but leveraging the arena to attract bigger concerts. There is big money there. In the future, the city might be interested in a venue that can compete with the old Copps Coliseum (ie attendance of 15-20k) for acts that can't book the ACC. To me, a venue of that kind doesn't make sense at the current location.
No a rink of that size does not make sense at the current location....maybe I misunderstood thought people were talking about taking the current rink which is a combo spectator/community rink and replacing it with a similar size/utility rink at MCC

That said....not sure the MCC is the right place for a 15 - 20k rink either.

This discussion on the Hershey Centr is off topic, and probably should (will) be moved into its own thread.

The location is good for two, maybe three reasons:
1. Lots of cheap land for surface parking
2. Highway exposure
3. Central (to Mississauga) location'

But it fails for transit access, and for access by car even (hard to access from the highway it enjoys the exposure from). Brampton's arena is even worse, even with similar highway visibility, because it was in the middle of nowhere on the edge of the city - which didn't help its OHL team last before moving to North Bay.

Many OHL teams have downtown or urban locations. The Niagara (ex-Mississauga) IceDogs play in a new arena in Downtown St. Catharines now; Guelph, Sudbury, Ottawa, London, Sault Ste. Marie, Kingston, Oshawa all have downtown arenas as well; had Brampton and Mississauga been smarter, the arenas would have been in more central locations - in Brampton, somewhere on the Queen Street corridor would have been better; in Mississauga, somewhere on Hurontario would have provided better transit access.

Hershey Centre Highway exposure? It's a long drive to a highway interchange ... which is bizarre given how close it is to the 401, 403, and 410!

That's the problem. It's actually too close to it so there's no room for a convenient street interchange that's even closer.

Good afternoon,

I did a quick search to see if anyone has already brought up the issue on here. I couldn't find anything but I wasn't thorough.
Since connectivity is important, is it feasible to somehow link the Transitway to Erindale GO Station?
Thanks in advance.

Good afternoon,

I did a quick search to see if anyone has already brought up the issue on here. I couldn't find anything but I wasn't thorough.
Since connectivity is important, is it feasible to somehow link the Transitway to Erindale GO Station?
Thanks in advance.
Why should it be connected to the Transitway?

Off the beaten track and will see very few riders to out weight the cost of building a connection for it.

The Mississauga plan maps show a transitway between Erin Mills and Hurontario with a new station between Creditview and the GO corridor.

Ah, interesting! This seems to be a new development as there are no news of it on the MiWay website.

The eastern side of the Transitway seems station-rich, with 4 stations approximately 1 kilometre apart on average; the western side seems underserved in comparison, leaving a big 6 kilometre gap between Square One and Erin Mills. A Creditview Station can balance things a bit and provide access to the Culham Trail and the Riverwood Conservancy. Two large and popular plazas would be close by, to the north at Eglinton and to the south at Burnhamthorpe.

Why should it be connected to the Transitway?
Off the beaten track and will see very few riders to out weight the cost of building a connection for it.

Fair enough, but how about a "between-MCC-to-Erin Mills" station?
For someone wishing to travel from Port Credit to Streetsville, for example, the trip could use the Hurontario LRT followed by the Transitway to either Creditview or Mississauga Road, then finish the final leg on a bus northwards. The latter providing convenient access to UTM from MCC, by the way.

There was to be a station at Mississauga Rd, but the NIMBY shot it down. An UTM bus to run from that station as well the 44. The Old Folks home were the main killers.

The old express buses to UTM were using Mississauga Rd until the NIMBY folks put a stop to it to the point they ended up running along Burhamthorpe Rd and follow 110 route from South Common Mall.

The NIMBY folks stop buses going south of Dundas to The Lakeshore, yet will to accept the car traffic.

There was a vision to have a stop at Mavis & Creditview, but die due to lack of ridership.

Used the transitway last week for the first time.....needed to be in Sauga shortly after work and did not want to run risk of being stuck in traffic downtown....so gave me an excuse to use it.

Parked at Cawthra and rode the express bus to islington and took the subway to work....reversed it on way back. Roughly takes a half hour to get to Islington (same on way back) then about 1/2 hour from there to my office at King and Uni.....not horrible and, overall, a pretty good experience but I would think once the transitway is finished that should be down to, what, 15 minute bus ride to Islington? At that number it might see more users.....as it was I was one of two cars that parked and rode from that station (can't, obviously, vouch for what happened during the day but the guy that showed up and parked at same time as me still had his car there when I got back....and there were no others).

There was to be a station at Mississauga Rd, but the NIMBY shot it down. An UTM bus to run from that station as well the 44. The Old Folks home were the main killers...

There was a vision to have a stop at Mavis & Creditview, but die due to lack of ridership.

I'm sure these were useful excuses - it didn't hurt that Mississauga value-engineered a lot out of the Transitway, including a proper station at Square One, and sticking only to Centre View Drive bus bypass shoulders on the 403 between Square One and Erin Mills Parkway.

I'm sure these were useful excuses - it didn't hurt that Mississauga value-engineered a lot out of the Transitway, including a proper station at Square One, and sticking only to Centre View Drive bus bypass shoulders on the 403 between Square One and Erin Mills Parkway.

Useful excuses indeed.

Lets face it, the transit way could've been more useful to many more people in the city had the stops at Creditview and Mavis been built. There isn't much ridership to justify the cost today, but speeding up routes on Mavis and Creditview would go a long way towards increasing ridership on those two routes. Unfortunately, value engineering is preventing the transitway from becoming a true spine for MiWay. Every major street that crosses the Transitway should have a stop, and every route should be feeding into these stops.

Mavis is not a big problem since 61 Mavis goes to CCTT. There are probably engineering problems because the westbound ramp to 403 is huge and the station is not even shown in long-term plans. Maybe they decide it is not possible.

So if they build transitway Erin Mills to CCTT, it would be just be for Creditview. 6km of transitway just for one station.

This transitway should not be the focus in the first place. It should have been Hurontario-Main and Dundas East LRT all along. The transitway is nice opportunity as a component of GO's regional BRT plans (including 407 Transitway), but imo it is not important for MiWay.

Look at the busiest Express route: 110 University, and that's using the bus-bypass lanes, no transitway at all. Although 107 and 110 probably should be combined, you can see, the lack of transitway doesn't seem to be a major factor for 110.

The real problem of the lack of transitway along Rathburn. No City Centre and Hurontario Stations. How they will connect the LRT to transitway? If they are stupid enough to build LRT along Rathburn, they will get in the way of the buses and there are A LOT of buses along Rathburn, including BRT buses.

A full transitway would mean taking buses off Rathburn and also a Hurontario station, which means the LRT can be straight, no diversion onto Rathburn needed. A full transitway alogn Rathburn and LRT straight up Hurontario would also free up space at CCTT which is operating more than twice the capacity it was originally designed for.

Back