Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

As I have said before, a diversion of the Milton line to MCC is unrealistic and overlaps with both the Hurontario LRT and the Transitway so it makes no sense. It also a bad idea to relocate Cooksville station even farther north (it is located too far north as it is).

Mississauga Opens BRT Project Office

Higher Order Transit Moves Forward with Opening of City's BRT Project Office

Jan 23, 2007

The City of Mississauga is moving closer to a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system with the opening of the new BRT Project Office. This office, in conjunction with GO Transit, will oversee the design and construction of the Mississauga segment of the BRT, running parallel to Highway 403, Eastgate Parkway and Eglinton Avenue. The first phase of the BRT, expected to be completed by 2011, is from Mississauga City Centre easterly to Renforth Drive at the Mississauga/Toronto border.

The BRT is a provincially-planned rapid transit network, designed in conjunction with GO Transit as a roadway for use exclusively by buses. When fully completed, the GTA BRT will operate as a 100-kilometre stretch of grade-separated, two-lane, bus-only roads with stations from Oakville to Pickering.

"As Canada's sixth largest city and one of the major economic engines in the GTA, Mississauga needs to move ahead with our BRT plans," said Mayor Hazel McCallion. "We are serious about our plans to address the growing needs of residents, businesses and commuters to create an efficient, integrated and environmentally sustainable transportation system to serve and move people across the GTA. We're ready to go and we're going to begin. The opening of the BRT Project Office is a significant milestone in this process."

The estimated cost for the Mississauga portion of the BRT is $259 million, with cost sharing proposed by the City, GO Transit, the provincial government and federal government. The City is still awaiting $83 million in funding commitment from the federal government for the BRT project.

To lead the BRT Project Office, the City is pleased to announce the appointment of Geoff Wright as director. Mr. Wright, a professional engineer, was instrumental in designing and implementing MetroLink - Halifax's bus rapid transit project - where he served as Project Manager from 2003 to 2006. Wright is currently Manager of Transit Planning & Development of Metro Transit for Halifax Regional Municipality.

"I am thrilled to be leading the BRT Project Office as we move toward implementing a bus rapid transit system in Mississauga," said Geoff Wright. "A bus rapid transit system will play a key role in getting people out of their cars and onto transit. After we completed MetroLink, Halifax's BRT, there was a 27 per cent increase in new ridership - commuters who had previously used their cars and who had transferred to transit. A bus rapid transit system in Mississauga can make significant inroads in easing gridlock and encourage smarter commuting."

Mississauga City Council approved the establishment of a BRT Project Office in 2006 after receiving $63 million from the provincial government toward construction of the Mississauga portion of the GTA BRT. The City of Mississauga will lead the construction of BRT East, which will run through the City Centre toward Toronto along the Highway 403/Eglinton Avenue corridor, with service connections into the Bloor subway along Highway 427. GO Transit will lead the construction of BRT West from Winston Churchill Boulevard to Erin Mills Parkway connecting in with the existing bus by-pass shoulders through to City Centre along the Highway 403 corridor.

Mississauga is Canada's sixth largest city with a population of more than 700,000. With well-established infrastructure and state-of-the-art facilities, the City delivers quality municipal programs and services to its citizens. Mississauga is recognized as Canada's safest city.

Louroz

Re: Mississauga Opens BRT Project Office

Your so informative FutureMayor, thanks :)

4 years to build a BRT route? Ridiculous.

^ Actually only two years. Construction won't start until 2009, which is likely the more ridiculous part. The City Centre terminal building is also supposed to be expanded in 2009, which is good but it was built too small to begin with and bike rakes will be added to buses starting in 2010.

Does this include the underground city centre terminal, or will that just be bypassed by making busses exit and enter at Hurontario?

Mississauga expects the Federal Government to kick in it 1/3 share any day now. With the Conservatives officially having a member from Mississauga, this would be a huge photo opportunity in order to swing voters here for the next election. What is more powerful than standing beside Hazel and singing the praises of your government for delivering the money?

As for construction, the BRT will be extensive with dedicated a ROW running through mostly a dedicated hydro corridor, however that includes building tunnels, bridges under and over roads and stations.

As for the City Centre Transit Terminal expansion, it's only a $1 million upgrade, so don't expect that long proposed underground terminal beneath Rathburn Road. The long term plan for the terminal was to build a second ring road wrapping around the existing terminal.

Further strengthening the BRT project is RIM (Waterloo's Reasearch In Motion) decision to build a massive new R & D office complex with 2,000 new employees in Mississauga. A final location hasn't been selected but it will either be built in the City Centre or at Airport Corporate Centre.

Louroz

Well I hope that they choose MCC over the airport centre...for everyone's sake. Although slim chance of that happening. Having worked in both areas, I can say that MCC is far and away a better environment. The aiport centre has terrible road and transit infrastructure (just try leaving it during rush hour), and nearly zero retail, despite having thousands of workers in the area. But if they want to build a campus, then that's really the only option...too bad. It would be nice to see Economic Development bending over backwards with incentives to get them to locate in MCC.

Agreed. It would be such a boon to MCC if we managed to lure RIM there.

Well I hope that they choose MCC over the airport centre...for everyone's sake. Although slim chance of that happening. Having worked in both areas, I can say that MCC is far and away a better environment.
Indeed, I took a bit of a tour of that Airport Centre a few week's back and its as bad as people on here have been suggesting. Regardless, it'll be great to have a RIM presence in the GTA.

^ They already have a place in Mississauga in ACC.

I doubt they'll expand their current location because it seems from GoogleMaps that everything around it is built out. Hopefully it will be a new MCC office building (part of the Morguard plan?). But depending on its uses it likely will end up being something new in ACC.

The "campus" way of building offices is terrible for encouraging any type of local retail or even pedestrian/bicycle/transit access. This is one reason why I have little faith in the Mississauga Busway. It's just not going to be attractive to many, if not most ACC employees.

RIM's Waterloo complex at Columbia and Phillip is a bit more organic, but there's not much around there either. I can't see RIM "doing the right thing" in this case - I would be thrilled to see them at MCC - at least it would be more multi-use and convenient for amenities.

I worked in downtown Brampton one year, I worked at an office near a shopping mall for a few summers, and I am now working right downtown Toronto, a stone's throw from the MINT. While the job near the mall was not at all an urban environment, at least there was a mall right there, as well as a library, so I had things to do during lunch.

Downtown Brampton was great - I biked to work, a huge bonus, and with the others in my little office, we'd go to the independant cafes and restaurants that were surprisingly good, or get coffee and/or muffins from a great little place (who relocated after being kicked out of Brampton Station by GO for Gatecrap on the GO).

And now I'm right downtown. Eaton Centre, and so much is at my doorstep. I'm often in no rush to go home, for I can do some of my shopping or fun right here, and transit is superb.

MCC is fairly good for delivering the stuff I talk about - a nice library, a huge mall, good transit connections, to an extent walkability (at least it's doable), ACC offers nothing. BRT isn't going to help, especially when the biggest potential trip generators are in isolated campuses.

I hope they pick MCC over the ACC...

*prays*

I cry myself to sleep every night thinking about how much better all the office buildings in the ACC would have looked in MCC

Mississauga Transitway

I started a new thread on this since the funding announcement thread is primarily focused on the subway aspect of the announcement.

Now that there is money for a Mississauga Transitway I am wondering where the plans for the Transitway are. I didn't find anything on the Mississauga website similar to the TTC Spadina Extention material. I'm wondering what routes are expected to operate via the Transitway and where they will go beyond the Transitway.

I'm a bit surprised that Mississauga didn't steer Hurontario LRT as a higher priority than the 403 BRT really. The Transitway route plus its terminus where no Eglinton subway exists makes the idea second rate compared to a Hurontario LRT.

Back