News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 530     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

miWay Transit

So they're finally taking the 38 off of Bancroft, but not bothering to replace it with anything (the suggested alternatives 42, 142 and 57 don't travel along Bancroft). From the 2020 plan, route 54 does, but that means 2 years of no service on Bancroft or....?

Not that I take the bus anymore, but I do wonder...

There are a few rather odd things on the 2020 map.

142 route doesn't exist on the 2020 map.
100 goes to UTM and South Common, and not Winston Churchill in 2020.
102 just seems to run between Islington and the Sheridan Centre, and the Sheridan Centre itself isn't on the 2020 map.
Some routes have off-peak service to Go Stations that aren't directly on the route (4, 51 to Dixie, 28 to Cooksville)
A lot of simplification, elimination of redundant routes in several areas, around Hurontario/401, Malton/Rexdale and Meadowvale.

Which means a bit easier to navigate, but people may have transfer in the future to get to their destination, or a little bit extra walk to/from their final destination.

With the streamlining of route 42, and the extension of route 57, I'm surprised it's still showing as rush hours only. It should probably have midday and evening service once the changes take effect in a few months.

I'm also surprised that the new route 54 won't be introduced when Route 38 is streamlined. Also, with the introduction of Route 100, it's really evident how much a Creditview Transitway station would have been of use.

The presentation slides shown above include a outdated MiWay Five map, the most current version from September 2017 is here: https://www7.mississauga.ca/documents/miway/miwayfive/MiWay5-2020-Proposed-Routing.pdf

It appears at this point they have decided against the concept of a route 54 and have reverted back to the original 43/87 design, duplicating 39 service on Matheson. In fact, a lot of the changes originally proposed have been modified or reverted back to the current design since the original MiWay Five concept map was published 2 years ago. Routes originally proposed to be eliminated due to duplication/proximity/low ridership have been reinstated, such as 25, 32, 43/87, 64, 67, 76.

That said this MiWay Five plan seemingly changes all the time (see example in the October service changes below) and while it's nice to keep up to date with the plan it's hard to take anything on it at face value. Proposed implementation dates get shuffled around, proposed changes quietly get reverted, etc.

October 23 Service changes

Route 36
will be redesigned as a 2 way route operating between South Common and Winston Churchill Station. Despite the proposed routing shown in the MiWay Five map from this month, the new routing being implemented is actually different.

Route 36 frequency will be revised:

Weekday daytime: 24 minutes (from 20 minutes)
Weekday evening: 33 minutes. Service will end at 12am rather than the current 2am on weekdays.
Saturday: 30 minutes all day (from 20 minutes)
Sunday: 42 minutes all day (from 38 minutes)

Here's a quick google map of the routing since it is complicated. https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1tKmrma4WQnjwU0nBtbT9jlApwXY&ll=43.5377582997469,-79.69381786128997&z=14

Route 47 will be eliminated as part of these changes.

Route 29 will see schedule adjustments. During rush hour the schedule has been redone to allow for more runtime, an additional bus will be added for 23 minute frequency during rush hour.

It has been a year since I took a bus along the Transitway. If I was heading to Orbitor Station around 2 pm... What is my best option to get there? I assume the 109.

Sorry for the off topic response.

It has been a year since I took a bus along the Transitway. If I was heading to Orbitor Station around 2 pm... What is my best option to get there? I assume the 109.

Sorry for the off topic response.
From SQ1? Your options are either 107 or 109. The combined frequency of the 2 routes is pretty high so you probably don't have to consult a schedule.

Triplinx suggests the 109 that leaves Islington at 1:43 pm arrives at Orbitor station at 1:59 pm

Thank you everyone! I was able to get what I needed done earlier than expected.

Just out of curiosity but does anyone know why busses using the transitway currently keep going on and off the highway and transitway surrounding Skymark Hub? I noticed we got off the 427, onto Eglinton, back onto a ramp, then back off onto Matheson only to enter back onto the transitway near Skymark Hub.

It seems rather convoluted if you ask me. Not to mention that while the busses mention Renforth Station (which is still under construction from the looks of things) it does not mention Orbitor and I nearly missed my stop.

Thank you everyone! I was able to get what I needed done earlier than expected.

Just out of curiosity but does anyone know why busses using the transitway currently keep going on and off the highway and transitway surrounding Skymark Hub? I noticed we got off the 427, onto Eglinton, back onto a ramp, then back off onto Matheson only to enter back onto the transitway near Skymark Hub.

It seems rather convoluted if you ask me. Not to mention that while the busses mention Renforth Station (which is still under construction from the looks of things) it does not mention Orbitor and I nearly missed my stop.
The 109 going north on 427 get off at Eglinton and then head west. When Renforth opens, it will use a down ramp to the station east of the current turn off. Have to use Matheson to get to Commence Blvd to go south on it to service Skymark Hub that service TTC/GO routes, as well other MT routes. It then gets back onto the Transitway going west. There is no other way to do it.

Its the opposite going east.

Renforth was to open on Sept 3rd and not completed at this time. Still no official opening day that requires ribbon cutting event. There will be a public open house on the Sat before it opens with no real date at this time. Nov 4 was one date I was told or it can be Nov 18 was another date. Look at the Transitway thread to see current video and photos of the station shot this month.

You not hearing Orbitor Stop announcement is either the driver has it turn down or not working, otherwise you should heard it.

What you experience is only the 3rd access point to the Transitway since it open in 2014. First one was Dixie connection to Eastgate. The 2nd wast Etobicoke Creek connection to Eglinton and both were by different route off Eglinton to Commence Blvd

Reactions: jys
NOVA driver orientation starts next week with 1730 the only bus on site.

The Joint Health and Safety Committee has just completed the due diligence around bringing a new type of bus into service. Serial deliveries start this week. First artic expected in December. Do not expect revenue service much before the end of the year.

MT has joined the CUTRIC program which will give them access to the electric bus trials. They do not plan to copy any of this work. Our Hybrid’s are at half-life and MT are looking at battery replacement, electric motor bearings and engine work. The life cycle cost of ownership has not been favourable which is why they have not added to this small fleet. Very surprised when they bought them considering all the problem with the first batch off the line in 2000's.

I should note, there has been 2 dates that MT was to start service to Renforth to the point there will be no date set until the station is 100% complete and turn over to Metrolinx. Only then a new date will surface.

Based on what I have being saying most of the year for this station, look for a 2018 opening date on the safe side.

Given the track record for all the sections of the Transitway opening to date, add 3 months plus to that plan schedule since that been the norm so far.

12 Eldorado’s have been retired with the rest being retired as the new buses arrive. They will be follow by the 300's and some 500's. One of the new artic's will replace an 800's that just retired.

Have your say through MiVoice!
http://www.mivoice.ca/

MiWayBlog said:
October 25: We want to hear your thoughts on taking transit in Mississauga so we can continue to improve your experience on MiWay. Whether you are a daily or occasional rider, or have never taken MiWay before, your feedback will help inform how we shape and improve our service to you.

By joining our new online panel, MiVoice, you will have your voice heard as we continue to evolve and shape MiWay service offerings. Through MiVoice we will be hosting surveys on various topics and will invite registered users to participate.

so since they initially revealed the 5 year plan in 2015 they have slowly been making revisions to the great plan most of which are for the worse. the original plan was pretty good already but and but i assumed it pissed people off so they had to change it. One of the best parts of the inital plan was route 54 which was a full day bi-directional route made to replace the existing matheson argentia bus and provide service to bancroft drive as well. well thats gone now and if you look at the current plan it probably resembles the 2015 service map more than it resembles the original 5 year plan https://www7.mississauga.ca/Documents/miway/miwayfive/MiWay5-2020-Proposed-Routing.pdf. kinda sucks cause the grid system they proposed was a huge improvement even though it wasn't perfect, looks like many of those proposed changes wont be happening.

Reactions: jys
miWay budget is on line now and starts at page 276. https://www7.mississauga.ca/documen...Service_Presentations_(Items_6.1_and_6.2).pdf

Looks like 10 buses for 2018, 15 for 2019, 45 for 2020, 100 for 2021. This is on top of what we are getting now.

30 drivers to be hire.

Not impress with budget and no increase of service on Sat, let alone the whole week other than whats going to the 100's routes is not going to help the system as a whole. Route 23 getting better service than 3 is a joke considering where 23 is in the ranking of routes in the first place.

MiWay to Begin Servicing Renforth Station Tomorrow

Nov 21, 2017

As of November 22, MiWay customers will be able to travel along the full 18-kilometre Mississauga Transitway from Winston Churchill in the west to Renforth Station – the final station in the east.

MiWay will service 12 stations along the dedicated bus corridor from west-east: Winston Churchill, Erin Mills, City Centre Transit Terminal, Central Parkway, Cawthra, Tomken, Dixie, Tahoe, Etobicoke Creek, Spectrum, Orbitor and the new Renforth Station.

Route Service Improvement
7 Airport
39 Britannia Servicing the new Renforth Station
21 Explorer
24 Northwest
43 Matheson - Argentia
87 Meadowvale - Skymark Servicing new on-street bus bays on Commerce Boulevard outside Renforth Station
107 Malton Express
109 Meadowvale Express Travel along the Mississauga Transitway, servicing all 12 stations
These service improvements expand Mississauga Transitway service on the Renforth Station platform as well as on-street bus bays along Commerce Boulevard and Skymark Avenue.

Route 35 will remain on detour until Dec 18 at which time it will stay 100% on Eglinton and stopping at Renforth terminal

Only 4 artics left from 2008 order and will be retire this year, with the rest retired in 2017 and the earliest any NFI artic's been retied to date. Some New Nova Buses 60's on site and no idea when they will see service. Drivers have to be train on them first.

Due to the full replacements of all EZ buses 0700-0900, the 2003 buses due to retire will hang around for another year or 2.

Fares
Some fares will change on Jan. 29, 2018
empty.gif

Consider switching to PRESTO when you board a MiWay bus as of January 29, 2018 and you can avoid paying more for your ride.

Most of MiWay’s fares including PRESTO fares will be frozen as of January 29, 2018, with the exception of cash fares and paper tickets.

MiWay tickets will only be available for purchase at the City Centre Transit Terminal and at MiWay ticket agents.

Learn more at miway.ca/fares.

Cash fare goes up $.25 ($3.75) and $.10 for tickets.

empty.gif

Accessibility
New Priority Seating Pilot Program
empty.gif

MiWay has begun installing new decals on the inside of its newest orange MiLocal buses to remind customers that the Priority Seating area at the front of each bus is reserved for persons with disabilities.

As part of this pilot program the decals will be installed on MiWay’s newest buses as they are delivered in 2018 and prepared for service.

Back