News   Apr 24, 2024
 423     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 459     0 

Mississauga City Centre (Downtown)

khris

Member Bio
Reaction score
I figured it would be good to have a thread for this area, since a lot of conversations happen about the City Centre in other threads, where it could take place here instead.

The first thing I wanted to ask about, is this parking lot. It's entrance is on the south side of Sussex Centre, to the east of the condos, which are 265 and 285 Enfield Place. It is a pay parking lot in the daytime on the weekdays. It looks like it was meant to be another condo, but then they decided not to build it. It's kind of awkward looking, with exposed parking structure from the rest of the condos.
Anyway, here is a photo to show what I'm talking about, and a link to a map that shows it's location.

3642803669_39c3a7654c_o.jpg

Map

I figured it would be good to have a thread for this area, since a lot of conversations happen about the City Centre in other threads, where it could take place here instead.

The first thing I wanted to ask about, is this parking lot. It's entrance is on the south side of Sussex Centre, to the east of the condos, which are 265 and 285 Enfield Place. It is a pay parking lot in the daytime on the weekdays. It looks like it was meant to be another condo, but then they decided not to build it. It's kind of awkward looking, with exposed parking structure from the rest of the condos.
Anyway, here is a photo to show what I'm talking about, and a link to a map that shows it's location.
%20%20place%20mississauga%20ontario&encType=1]Map[/url]

My guess is that it is indeed a relic of the Crash of 91, and that the developer cancelled the project. The surrounding condos are from the late 80s wave of condo building in the city center.

Mississauga City Centre

I noticed this weekend that there's a great deal of construction going on in the far northeast Square One parking lot across from the new LCBO.

Any idea what project that might be? More big box development or BRT related?

Edit: Looks like either more big box or utility work.

Last edited:
Huge line up of movie trailers the whole length of Kariya Drive this morning. Maybe they're filming part of Scott Pilgrim in the park?

Dunno where else to post this, but there will be a public meeting regarding the annexation of Milton land to Mississauga (from Ninth Line to the 407).

3928317348_b8eaa49a6c_o.jpg

Definitely not the right thread for that. This is City Centre, not a Mississauga general thread. Like posting something about Rexdale in a thread devoted to the Annex.

The latest issue of spacing has a nice article about MCC. It actually sounded like the planners in Mississauga "get it" to some extent. Especially since they seem to realize that Square One is a huge impediment to building the urban downtown they envision.

The latest issue of spacing has a nice article about MCC. It actually sounded like the planners in Mississauga "get it" to some extent. Especially since they seem to realize that Square One is a huge impediment to building the urban downtown they envision.
Is there an online version you can link to, or just print?

Sorry it was in print only. Most of the issue was devoted to remaking the 'burbs.

If it was from some print giant or something I might not feel bad about scanning it, but Spacing barely breaks even, I'm sure. I looked here and it only lists a couple of locations in the 905. But I picked it up at an Indigo that isn't actually listed there. Maybe your local Chapters/Indigo will carry it.

Sorry it was in print only. Most of the issue was devoted to remaking the 'burbs.

If it was from some print giant or something I might not feel bad about scanning it, but Spacing barely breaks even, I'm sure. I looked here and it only lists a couple of locations in the 905. But I picked it up at an Indigo that isn't actually listed there. Maybe your local Chapters/Indigo will carry it.
Thanks threnody - I'll have a peek at Chapters (in MCC no less).

On the topic of remaking the MCC 'downtown' - I was wondering if you could give some feedback on this concept.
http://urbantoronto.ca/showpost.php?p=314851&postcount=58
It's very rough and would need some style injected, but the basic points are what I was trying to convey...

posted at the City of Mississauga website - looks like Sheridan College at MCC is getting closer to being a reality.....

Council Adopts Resolution to Proceed With Land Purchase in The City Centre

Sep 30, 2009

City Council today adopted a resolution to proceed with the purchase of 3.46 hectares (8.5 acres) of land located to the north of the Living Arts Centre, and to proceed with negotiations with Sheridan College to lease property from the City for their new Mississauga campus.

"Council has taken additional time to ensure that all matters pertaining to negotiations for the land acquisition have been addressed," stated Ward 4 Councillor Frank Dale following an in-camera session of Council. "We are satisfied that the land purchase is a fair deal and in the best interest of the citizens of Mississauga. We look forward to concluding the transaction on October 1, and to finalizing our negotiations with Sheridan College."

The City's new Strategic Plan adopted by Council in May 2009, followed a comprehensive public engagement process which identified the far-reaching benefits of attracting a post secondary school to Mississauga's downtown to achieving the City's strategic goals and vision for the city.

"Through our Strategic Plan and Action Plan, the City of Mississauga is committed to retaining youth, building connected communities, and developing talent to meet the employment needs of businesses located in Mississauga," said Councillor Dale. "The arrival of Sheridan College in our city is an exciting addition to our vision of a vibrant downtown."

"The purchase of land is a sound investment in Mississauga's future. With this initiative, the City has delivered on its commitment to attract another post secondary school to Mississauga, just four months after approving our new Strategic Plan," said City Manager Janice Baker. "Following the conclusion of lease agreement negotiations, project details will be released in the weeks ahead as they are presented to General Committee and Council for approval."

As Canada's sixth largest city, Mississauga is home to 730,000 residents and 55,000 businesses, including 61 Fortune 500 companies with Canadian head offices or major divisional head offices. A diverse, progressive and award-winning municipality located on the shores of Lake Ontario in the heart of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), Mississauga prides itself on enhancing its citizens' quality of life by providing superior services, revitalizing its infrastructure and conserving the environment. Mississauga's commitment to innovation, operational excellence and fiscal responsibility reflects the City's motto: "Leading Today for Tomorrow."

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/home;jsessionid=WT1U33GUFQBNJTRPH3XD5XWOF25W4PW0?paf_gear_id=9700020&itemId=2700043&returnUrl=%2Fportal%2Fhome%3Bjsessionid%3DWT1U33GUFQBNJTRPH3XD5XWOF25W4PW0

It would have been nice as green space (MCC needs it) but at least it'll get more pedestrian traffic going and might encourage more ground level retail to develop.

Perhaps the few others chunks of land left over might not all turn up under concrete but I'm not holding my breath. MCC does have a few nice green spaces, but needs more.

Back