News   Apr 26, 2024
 529     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 387     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 580     0 

Mississauga Celebration Square Redevelopment (CS&P Architects) COMPLETE

I must've missed it earlier, but a redesign of City Centre is almost as good as the civic square overhaul! Especially the treacherous portion east of Kariya Drive that curves around the Square One parkade.

I believe it's only the portion in front of city hall that is being redesigned.

Thanks for the update - this is excellent news! I was getting a little worried on Wednesday when I watched them remove all the benches, tables, chairs, etc. from both squares...now that makes more sense.

Sept 1

IMG_sept-01-09-0123.jpg

IMG_sept-01-09-0124.jpg

IMG_sept-01-09-0128.jpg

IMG_sept-01-09-0121.jpg

IMG_sept-01-09-0103.jpg

IMG_sept-01-09-0104.jpg

IMG_sept-01-09-0105.jpg

Shouldn't this be moved to Projects and Construction now?

Thanks for the 'before' photos, Drum. That's exactly what I was thinking of doing.

They already removed the parking meters from CCD (which were just installed).

It's a shame we will be losing some very nice mature trees - we don't have enough of those in the MCC.

Here are the renders from January (not sure if the plans have changed):

civicsquare1.jpg

civicsquare2.jpg

civicsquare3.jpg

I walked around there a little this weekend... if they're going to elevate all grade to meet the square in front of City Hall,then it could be as much as 10' above Burnhamthorpe, meaning a higher wall behind the current fountains that run along the front - or is the war memorial being moved?

I'm thinking if they plan to add a permanent stage, then framing the entire front with a more ornate wall/stairs/pillars sort of thing would make for a more "grand" entrance. The sloped lawns on the east side of the block (on either side of the parking entrance) could be removed and a more elaborate fountain (or Cenotaph) could be situated at the corner where those odd buffalo statues currently sit.

Additionally - if the green peaked roof will remain along the east side of the skating rink, it should continue onto the south side to tie in the 2 spaces visually. The last thing they should do is mix in even more architectural styles. Use the same brick, same pillars, and same proportions as existing elements at the front of City Hall. This will help unify the space.

The waterfall/memorial is being removed. The new stage will be built there, with the 'media wall' behind it.

I am curious to see how they will play with the grades...the entire site is the roof of a parking garage, so there's only so much you can do...

The waterfall/memorial is being removed. The new stage will be built there, with the 'media wall' behind it.

I am curious to see how they will play with the grades...the entire site is the roof of a parking garage, so there's only so much you can do...
Exactly.

I think leaving the grade as is can work, as can a media wall - though the backside (facing Burnhamthorpe) has to be planned properly and not become an even worse barrier/eyesore from the street.

*Mods: Can this please be moved to projects and construction, and perhaps renamed?*

Wasting no time on this...fences are up and the entire area is closed off to traffic and pedestrians.

09092009888.jpg

09092009889.jpg

Wasting no time on this...fences are up and the entire area is closed off to traffic and pedestrians.

Wow, no kidding! I live in the area and pass by city hall every morning and even I hadn't seen the fences until now.

Wow, no kidding! I live in the area and pass by city hall every morning and even I hadn't seen the fences until now.
Most of it was put out last night after the work day ended. I had some dinner at SQ1 and then decided to walk around city hall again, for feel of the square, and had to sneak around the fencing a little bit.

I have some serious reservations about what they're doing if the January renderings are accurate. I don't have time to do some layouts of my own at the moment, but really think they will miss a golden opportunity with federal funds = free money to do something good.

Apparently final design work is not yet done...so the renderings will change.

They've hired the contractor, closed the area, erected the fences...but don't quite have the design ready...

Apparently final design work is not yet done...so the renderings will change.

They've hired the contractor, closed the area, erected the fences...but don't quite have the design ready...
I find that a little odd - but it would certainly qualify as shovel-ready ;)

Perhaps we should have a little contest of our own? Not on the scale of the Pedestrian Bridge Charrette, but it never hurts to see what people would do or would like to see.

I might have some time to play this weekend, but need a new 3D rendering program that is simple an easy. I've heard Sketchup is good - any opinions?

Back