News   Apr 24, 2024
 963     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 623     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

The Dominion Bank at Danforth and Logan was photographed in 1930 because it had just been robbed.
TN Danforth-Logan Bank robbery 1930.jpg

TN Danforth-Logan bank 2017.jpg

Attachments

• TN Danforth-Logan Bank robbery 1930.jpg
    TN Danforth-Logan Bank robbery 1930.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 1,595
  • TN Danforth-Logan bank 2017.jpg
    TN Danforth-Logan bank 2017.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 1,307
Last edited:
"The Dominion Bank at Danforth and Logan was photographed in 1930 because it had just been robbed."
Prof Goldie.

OK Goldie, you caught me leaving The HIT with my LOOT!
(What now?)

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY 1931:
(Danforth Avenue.)

476 Stancer Pearl, Milliner.

478 Long & Hill Real Estate.
...... Lorgheed Edgar C, Sign Writer.
480 Dominion Bank.

Regards,
J T

Isn’t it odd that there’s a brick second floor on the building (furrier) next to the bank in 1930, yet it’s gone in the modern view and we can see an ?older? ?bay and gable? house behind? The ground floor is the same now as in 1930 (built onto the front of the house). The brick second floor must have been built onto the front as well, but there’s no evidence of that now. I googled my way around to the lane behind to see the back of the house which has many add-ons.

I suspect the 1930 building was torn down and a new house was built and then at some point the house had an addition up front to use for the store front...
regardless, it's strange that a house was built on Danforth in that era.....

It is strange that a house would be built there during the ‘30s, in an out-dated Victorian style, instead of a store with apartment above (like all the others along Danforth by then).

It is strange that a house would be built there during the ‘30s, in an out-dated Victorian style, instead of a store with apartment above (like all the others along Danforth by then).

I'd suggest that those "out-dated Victorian style" homes (behind the present-day markets) were built long before 1930 --- probably when building lots along Danforth were first introduced -c.1912?
And when the street became a viable business district, those home-owners added store fronts to their street frontage.
Those stores were probably altered and changed proprietors many times until today.
Certainly interesting that the old homes still remain.

Here's an example of some homes on Danforth that could have added stores to the property.
Caption indicates "350 Danforth, 1912"

350 Danforth 1912.jpg

Attachments

• 350 Danforth 1912.jpg
    350 Danforth 1912.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 955
Last edited:
Isn’t it odd that there’s a brick second floor on the building (furrier) next to the bank in 1930, yet it’s gone in the modern view and we can see an ?older? ?bay and gable? house behind? The ground floor is the same now as in 1930 (built onto the front of the house).

Actually, you'll notice that the ground floor *isn't* the same. The 1930 version abuts the bank; the present day version is separated by a grey-plywooded gap.

My suspicion is, the original front block vanished, perhaps due to fire (but sparing the original house behind), and was replaced by the present utilitarian single-floor cinderblock (as seen from the side) add-on.

Interesting to compare the original houses behind; the wood-sided one on the left looks more authentically Victorian-vernacular (one of the Danforth's oldest survivors?), while the one on the right seems to be transitioning into the Edwardian with its dark brick front, bay window and shingled inset front gable--only the vergeboard and (remarkably intact) finial linger as c19 vestiges...

There is, aside from MIGHT's, GOAD's, then again, are either to be totally trusted; no.

Regards,
J T

The 1912 photo Goldie posted is a gem. I suppose development along Danforth grew apace once the tracks were laid. Here’s a photo from 1913, looking east from Pape. North of Danforth still seems to be farmers’ fields; the 1915 annexation map shows streets laid out.
http://maps.library.utoronto.ca/datapub/digital/NG/historicTOmaps/1915-AnnexationDates.jpg
Here’s a google view from the alley behind those houses near Logan. I think it’s interesting to find old houses buried behind shops. There are some on the east side of Bayview, opposite Hillsdale. I see from the satellite view that there’s an alley behind the stores… I must drive along there to see what those houses look like from the back. Toronto is such an interesting city!

Attachments

• Alley view.jpg
    Alley view.jpg
    558.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 20121112-danforth-east-pape-1913-s0372_ss0020_it0008.jpg
    20121112-danforth-east-pape-1913-s0372_ss0020_it0008.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 167
i know Goldie will like this... several "then and now" pics of the Winchester St bridge, and the Belleville Subway, where Winchester Street went under the CP's Belleville Subdivision, a.k.a. Don Branch, as part of a longer thread on the Lower Don Trail... you should be able to just scroll down and see all the pics

https://twitter.com/rudydotca/status/891703810212626432

Kennedy Rd. in Scarborough, half-mile below Ellesmere (designated in archive as [correction] "after 1904")

TN Kennedt Rd. half-mile below Ellesmere-after1904.jpg

TN Kennedy half-mile below Ellesmere 2017.jpg

Attachments

• TN Kennedt Rd. half-mile below Ellesmere-after1904.jpg
    TN Kennedt Rd. half-mile below Ellesmere-after1904.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 945
  • TN Kennedy half-mile below Ellesmere 2017.jpg
    TN Kennedy half-mile below Ellesmere 2017.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 990
Last edited:

Attachments

• TN Bank of Toronto northwest corner of Wellington and Church 1868.jpg