News   Apr 19, 2024
 181     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 854     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8K     2 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Mustapha: Thanks for the Tivoli pics. A very dim memory of mine remembers that the theatre was unusual in that one entered at the top level and descended into the theatre (but I may be wrong). I think I saw West Side Story there.

Two other pics, which if one dates them from the movies on the marquees are from 1921 and 1948 respectively:

allentheatre1919.jpg

tivoli.jpg
Is that a water tower over the Allen Theatre?

Toronto Harbour Commission Building in 1919
TN Harbour Com. Bldg. 1919.jpg

Same building on same site today
TN Harbour Com. Bldg. - Google 2017.jpg

Google street view

Attachments

• TN Harbour Com. Bldg. 1919.jpg
    TN Harbour Com. Bldg. 1919.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 666
  • TN Harbour Com. Bldg. - Google 2017.jpg
    TN Harbour Com. Bldg. - Google 2017.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 636
View from the CN Tower:

1981:

view.jpg

2017 (thanks to Logan):

viewfromcntower2017.jpg

Attachments

• view.jpg
    view.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 828
  • viewfromcntower2017.jpg
    viewfromcntower2017.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 959
November 16 addition.

Then. Church and Yonge, looking SE. Nov. 1959

Note the "Austin" sign. I guess British cars were a big deal in 1950s Toronto.

s0372_ss0100_it0443.jpg

Now. October 2010.

CSC_0053.jpg

Old car I saw last week parked on a lot on Queen street east.

DSC_0073.jpg

Rear of same. Note dealership where it was sold - on Bay street - just a couple of blocks from our "Austin" dealership.

DSC_0072.jpg

CSC_0074.jpg
I see a uniformed gas station attendant.

November 23 addition.

The corner news stands are gone now. I remember when my father worked at the Toronto Star in the 60's there were 5, yes 5 editions a day!

Then. NE corner King and Bay Sep 11, 1953.

s0372_ss0058_it2412b.jpg

Now. November 2010.

DSCF3327.jpg

kingwest3.jpg

Charioteer: This looks to be a late 50s era pic of Downtown Toronto noting the cars visible in the parking lot and I also noticed the older Canadian flags flying...
It is hard to believe that at one point the original Commerce Court Building was the tallest building in the British Commonwealth of Nations...LI MIKE
That's the Toronto Star building in the centre, inspiration for Clark Kents Daily Planet building. My father worked on the King St side of the 7th floor. I watched the TD buildings slowly obliterate the view of the waterfront.

January 11 addition.

So, our Goldie happens to be at the SE corner of King and York street in 1969 with a camera handy. He took this picture of the demolition rubble of Rossin House. He posts it here at UT back on December 25 2009.

Thank goodness for the internet. If it didn't exist, Goldie would still be showing the hardcopy to his coffee shop friends; right Goldie? :)

goldiespictureofasafeinRossinhousedemolition1970.jpg

Online conversation ensues, such as:

Today, January 10 2010 I had a camera handy and came across this in the lobby of 229 Yonge street.

DSC_0016-1.jpg

How very interesting that the company - L. D. Caulk - that owned it, is still trading.

http://www.caulk.com/
Nice mosaic floor too.

January 21 addition.

Then. Yonge looking SE. Shuter street can be made out in the right distance. The wonderful old office building on the right, 229 Yonge, is the old Ryrie building.

http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/english/on-line-exhibits/architecture/record-ryrie.aspx

193-2.jpg

Now. November 2010. I recently posted a picture in this thread of the old safe which resides in the lobby. You can visit and view it - the lobby entrance is behind the silver gray car in the Now picture.

DSC_0036.jpg
One Minute Lunch! Way before today's fast "food". Bet it was real.

What the heck, I can't pass up an opportunity for clothing advice. :)

Just a reminder to the men here who will be buying a suit soon.

Firstly: Suit fabrics come in different weights. You can sense some are thicker and heavier when you feel the cloth in the store. Ask yourself if you could wear any suit that you like the looks of in a heat wave. Don't buy on looks alone.

The downside of a lighter weight fabric is that you may be a bit colder in the winter, but I would rather be comfortable in the heat. In the winter you can always add a heavier overcoat.

Secondly: Black suits are sold everywhere and are the go-to colour for most men, especially for those who need or want only one suit. I've seen them worn at weddings, funerals and on business so I know they are popular. The better choice is the deepest navy blue. It's still correct for all occasions. Even for funerals. You're going to have to trust me on this.

Thirdly: Pinstripes are for daytime business wear only. Chalkstripes if you are a "Goodfella" or can carry off a bowler hat.
My father wore summer suits, and heavier wool winter suits. This was in the 50's to 70's. Summer was also the time for short sleeve business shirts under the suit jacket.

Back