News   Mar 28, 2024
 48     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 153     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 242     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

But then it'll come crumbling down from erosion after the next really big rainstorm or two, and then we'll wonder what kind of message that sends about our city!
It would look no different than the disarray in our public realm. In other words, it would fit right in.

Hi Ut-ers. Lots to Google/research in the Then photo: the approximate date, Jewish newspapers, businesses, movies, Gotfridson fire trucks, even the location. Ha. Have fun. Don't stay late at work doing this.

1954.jpg
P2050614 - Copy.JPG

Attachments

• 1954.jpg
    1954.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 1,256
  • P2050614 - Copy.JPG
    P2050614 - Copy.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,296
Last edited:
Two pics of the Circle Theatre from the Ontario Archives (1945):

circletheatre1945.jpg
circletheatre2.jpg

Replying to thecharioteer's 6 year old post here with a early 80s era picture of the Circle Theatre. Just to sum up: This building was a theatre first, then a 'Power' supermarket, then a plumbing store. It no longer exists; there is a senior citizens home on the site now.

lochist-nd-067.jpg

Attachments

• lochist-nd-067.jpg
    lochist-nd-067.jpg
    641.5 KB · Views: 1,178
Demolition completed at the Guild Inn, Scarborough.
Restoration of remaining original structure and new additions for banquet facilities to begin soon - hopefully!

1996 view
TN Guild  July 1996.jpg

2016 view
TN Guild Feb-1-2016.jpg

Attachments

• TN Guild  July 1996.jpg
    TN Guild July 1996.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 973
  • TN Guild Feb-1-2016.jpg
    TN Guild Feb-1-2016.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 958
Replying to thecharioteer's 6 year old post here with a early 80s era picture of the Circle Theatre. Just to sum up: This building was a theatre first, then a 'Power' supermarket, then a plumbing store. It no longer exists; there is a senior citizens home on the site now.

View attachment 65975

Even to the end, it seems to have retained a North Toronto "smart" quality. (Wonder how much of the interior it retained t/w its final days)

Interesting how those hooks in the wall (once used to hold-up the marquee) are a dead-giveway.

lochist-nd-067.jpg

Thats how I located the old Cameo Cinema that was on Pape at Floyd.

Cameo-Pape at Floyd Ave.jpg

Attachments

• lochist-nd-067.jpg
    lochist-nd-067.jpg
    641.5 KB · Views: 1,116
  • Cameo-Pape at Floyd Ave.jpg
    Cameo-Pape at Floyd Ave.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 1,132
pictures-r-5373.jpg
P2050618.JPG

"Saint Patrick" in the Then picture being one of the historic segments of several small narrow streets widened and connected into the present continuous Dundas Street West. So we are looking at the east side of Spadina, north of Dundas, south of Saint Andrew Street.

This Then and Now pair perhaps isn't that meaningful but in looking at both I noticed and was surprised how:

a) In the Then picture the middle house is a semi-detached. All that space in 1864 Toronto and someone built a semi-detached here on the outskirts. I wonder how common it was to do that.

b) In the Now picture there are two houses peeking out over the hustle and bustle that is now Spadina Avenue. I like to see this; the sentinels of the past keeping watch over the present. [Hope this last sentence wasn't too tortured].

Attachments

• pictures-r-5373.jpg
    pictures-r-5373.jpg
    605 KB · Views: 1,203
  • P2050618.JPG
    P2050618.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,671
Last edited:
Even to the end, it seems to have retained a North Toronto "smart" quality. (Wonder how much of the interior it retained t/w its final days)

As a boy in the 60s this was our local neighbourhood supermarket (I grew up on Albertus Ave). Not being precocious or keen eyed of things historical/architectural at that age I only remember it as a supermarket.

You indirectly remind me; I have to make the trip out to see the former Runnymede Theatre/Chapters bookstore now Shoppers Drug Mart at Runnymede and Bloor and see what they've done to the place...

The now shot is hideous. What an ugly streetscape.

The street here doesn't beckon a stroll, but there are some cut-rate price businesses here. Banh mi sandwiches, several hair salons, a florist with the cheapest funeral floral arrangements in T.O., good but not great Chinese food on the cheap; it's all here.

The street here doesn't beckon a stroll, but there are some cut-rate price businesses here. Banh mi sandwiches, several hair salons, a florist with the cheapest funeral floral arrangements in T.O., good but not great Chinese food on the cheap; it's all here.

The banh mi place is not great, as I recall. A smaller selection than most and the sandwiches are small too, like super narrow buns for some reason.

Back