News   Apr 24, 2024
 873     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 599     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"In the Yonge & Front 1888 photo what is the "thing' hanging from the wiring/pole in foreground. It does not look like a streetlight."
DSC

Arc street lighting, John J Wright, 1905 - Torontonians as we see 'em, page 85; and elsewere.

Regards,
J T

More Church/Wellington:

1868:

churchwellington1868.jpg

1913:

churchwellington1913.jpg

1967:

PHOTO - TORONTO - CHURCH AND WELLINGTON - PCC TURNING - KING EDWARD LEFT BACKGROUND - 1967.jpg

Attachments

• churchwellington1868.jpg
    churchwellington1868.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 1,620
  • churchwellington1913.jpg
    churchwellington1913.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 1,610
  • PHOTO - TORONTO - CHURCH AND WELLINGTON - PCC TURNING - KING EDWARD LEFT BACKGROUND - 1967.jpg
    PHOTO - TORONTO - CHURCH AND WELLINGTON - PCC TURNING - KING EDWARD LEFT BACKGROUND - 1967.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 1,657
Here's an opportunity for someone in the neighbourhood to give us a "now" image of this building which, I believe, is still there.

Then………

McMillan Drugs Vaughan Rd. 1920.jpg

Attachments

• McMillan Drugs Vaughan Rd. 1920.jpg
    McMillan Drugs Vaughan Rd. 1920.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 1,449
'Flo's Diner'. Bellair, west side, just south of Cumberland. 1980s - ish.

Have I 'done' this one already? I can't remember.

I've always had a mental image of this old Toronto Archives picture in my head. A charming place that little diner. I never ate there but wished I had.

In the past when I posted here often I would take a picture of the Then picture and have it in my camera as a composing aid. That wasn't the case this time so my Now picture is a bit 'tighter' than it should be. Anyways, I would say the front door of Flo's and the front door of the condo that's here now occupy the same location...

s1465_fl0043_id0049_zpsyv9wh3nb.jpg

Now. October 16, 2015.

PA160254_zpsy6qj2xfx.jpg

Welcome back Mustapha, we've missed you!

I'm trying to visualize "Flo's" in that sign.

I can only see something that looks like "4Ds."

Welcome back Mustapha, we've missed you!

I'm trying to visualize "Flo's" in that sign.

I can only see something that looks like "4Ds."

Hey Goldie, thank you. I hope to be busier here in future.

The Archive's description for the Then photo is: "4D's / Flo's restaurant, 10 Bellair at Critchley Lane".

I went by the description; I hadn't even noticed the sign on the restaurant. I was busy looking at, and mourning the University Theatre, the rear portion which can be seen in the right distance.

The University Theatre: It will always be a mystery to me how the original façade was left standing for quite some time, only to be taken down and a simulacrum built in its place, which still exists.

The University Theatre: It will always be a mystery to me how the original façade was left standing for quite some time, only to be taken down and a simulacrum built in its place, which still exists.

Was the theatre facade actually taken down? I know that the Lothian Mews frontage was removed, never to come back...

Back