News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 624     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Happy 45th Birthday New City Hall.

[Lapel pin; a recent score at St. Lawrence Antique Market]

DSCF3153.jpg

Mustapha: Good memory-I remember getting one of these pins back on one of my trips around 1980 in the same folder card!
They were sold as souvenirs at City Hall back then...
City Hall in my opinion was and still is one of the best modern buildings in Toronto...
LI MIKE

Thanks for the discussion regarding my query, very illuminating!

Re: Peter St looking south..... there's a quite blatant example of the old being better. That building at the back left with the raised middle is beautiful.

Still extant: only blocked from view by the mass of 111 Peter.

Also, the second building on the right with the thing on the roof impresses me more.

Still extant, too; but the cornice is gone...

Mustapha: Good memory-I remember getting one of these pins back on one of my trips around 1980 in the same folder card!
They were sold as souvenirs at City Hall back then...
City Hall in my opinion was and still is one of the best modern buildings in Toronto...
LI MIKE

LI MIKE, nice to know there are more than one of these pins out there, and treasured.

September 16 addition:

Then. I did Ossington awhile back. I missed this one; here you go everyone.

s0372_ss0033_it0745.jpg

Now. June 2010.

DSC_0314.jpg

While on the Danforth attempting the Winchester Drive photo (Historic photos from Toronto on this day), I discovered this wonderful old farm house off the beaten path.
The owner showed me his copy of the 1912 archive photo.

TNDanforthBowdenoldhouse1912.jpg

Church at Bowden St.

This view shows the original church structure (attached thumbnail).

Attachments

• Danforth Baptist Church.jpg
    Danforth Baptist Church.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 285
Goldie, there is a "Snider" farmhouse not too far from my place. It's on the west side of Duplex Ave between Lytton and Alexandra. Quite a grand looking place.

There is another farmhouse on Barbarry Pl just N of Sheppard; well looked after.

Both are like your discovery; a little hidden...

September 17 addition.

Then. "Fairbank Firehall. Area No. 1". Vaughan at Greyton Cres.

f1257_s1057_it4866.jpg

Now. July 2010.

CSC_0155.jpg

Having grown up in Cedarvale and attending Vaughan Rd C.I. way back in the Stone Age, I liked your Fairbank Firehall pic, Mustapha (back in the day when the Township of York elected Reeves, instead of Aldermen). I still remember driving with my dad on Eglinton West as a child and passing barns mixed in with car-dealerships.

Two pics of the Eglinton/Dufferin/Vaughan interesction in 1924:

eglinton2.jpg

eglinton.jpg

And a couple of weeks earlier further south on Oakwood:

oakwood.jpg

And:

oakwood2.jpg

Last edited:

Back