Minto Midtown Condos (Minto) - Real Estate -

S

sarobal

Hello all,

I am thinking about purchasing a unit in Quantum II (the North Tower) to live in; possibly a one bedroom + den, and possibly on one of the higher floors (36-42) where the ceiling heights are greater. I REALLY LOVE the location, project, and unit I am looking at, and there seems to be much less selection in this area of the city than most others. However, with all this speculation about the condo market softening and even a possible bubble bursting, I am a bit nervous...this is a big investment for me. Is this location/project/unit a good investment? Any major concerns about the effect of the market softening on these units? Does anyone forsee any major problems with resale in the future? Any thoughts? Any advice? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

IMO this neighbourhood is one of the better ones in which to be buying a condo, just because the supply of competing properties is limited. There actualy aren't a lot of condos around Yonge and Eglinton, considering that it's a fairly dense neighbourhood. There is likely to be limited future supply, as sites which are suitable for building large condos are not plentiful in the area. Other than Merton Street, it's hard to think of where new condos would go in the whole area of Yonge / Eglinton down to Yonge / St. Clair. There are few if any vacant sites, and few if any underutilized properties crying out to be redeveloped.

Also, the neighbourhood itself is an attractive, upper-middle income area which isn't likely to deteoriorate any time soon. The subway and many amenities are nearby. What's not to like here?

Nice location, established builder, and LEED-certified to boot. Incidentally, David Crombie (former mayor and waterfront trail champion) bought a unit.

There is likely to be limited future supply, as sites which are suitable for building large condos are not plentiful in the area. Other than Merton Street, it's hard to think of where new condos would go in the whole area of Yonge / Eglinton down to Yonge / St. Clair. There are few if any vacant sites, and few if any underutilized properties crying out to be redeveloped.

Aside from the entire TTC yards across the street which are scheduled to come down with massive density taking its place.

There are dozens of properties between St. Clair and Eglinton perfect for condos.

Starting just south of St. Clair, you find yourself in a large tower in the park apartment community. Moving north, the southwest corner of Yonge and St. Clair is completely underutilized with 2 storey retail buildings. Just north of St. Clair is a large Green P parking lot, which currently has a zoning change sign proposing several 30+ floor condos.

The entire Greenwin community east of Davisville station is block after block of towers in the park, while smaller parking lots scatter the Yonge strip up to Eglinton. Yonge and Eglinton is another tower in the park community, with at least 4 condo proposals on the south side of Eglinton between Yonge and Mt. Pleasant.

Yonge itself tends to be built out, however the neighbourhoods just east and west of Yonge are saturated with towers in the park, ideal for adding a couple new towers here and there.

Chuck, with all respect there has been very little history in Toronto of the "tower in the park" neighbourhoods, dating mainly from the 1960s, being intensified or redeveloped. Many of the lawn areas between and around the buildings actually have parking garages under them, and in any case I don't think many of these properties would actually have the space for new buildings of any size to be crammed in. People want a reasonable amount of spacing between buildings.

As for parking lots, most of them are located a bit off Yonge, but closely adjacent to low-rise residential streets, where opposition to new high-rise towers would be strong. Not to mention that small businesses along Yonge really want to keep those "green P" lots, which are important to their well-being.

I agree with you that the SW corner of Yonge and St. Clair would be quite suitable for a new development. It's a great location, especially if you could back on to St. Michael's Cemetery. Land ownership here is fragmented, and a challenging land assembly would be needed, but maybe someone will be able to do it.

Chuck, with all respect there has been very little history in Toronto of the "tower in the park" neighbourhoods, dating mainly from the 1960s, being intensified or redeveloped.

How can there be much history for redeveloping towers in the park when the sites themselves are barely 30 or 40 years old? Still, I can easily think of a half dozen examples and more are on the way.

Plus add in the noise from future condo developments in the area; surely that could affect future resale values? Then factor in the possibility of better designed, greener buildings in the future. A few Peter Clewes highrises in this area would make Minto Midtown look unsophisticated. I would add that overall the area is nice to live in: but for resale value, an old house just can't be beat or if you go condo, try to buy in a smaller (50-100 units max) boutique building. I think many of those parking lots and tower in parks could handle some 6-10 storey buildings--even 6 storey walkup townhouses with a bit of retail on the ground floor.

I can name at least 5 towers in the park that are soon to be no more at Yonge and Eglinton. You don't see that anywhere else in midtown because demand hasn't quite reached the critical point at Davisville or St. Clair.

Minto Quantum

Hi there!
I'm trying to find out some information on the new Minto Condos at Yonge and Eglinton (2181 Yonge). I am looking to find the rest of the suite names. So far I know that they are likely all bright stars and so far I have: Polaris, borealis, capella, hydra, jupiter, Lynx, mercury, neptune, Northstar, orion, pegasus, saturn, vega and suites 3701-3802. I know it seems a bit odd but if anyone knows the names of these suites it would be really helpful to me.
Thanks so much.

Hi there!
I'm trying to find out some information on the new Minto Condos at Yonge and Eglinton (2181 Yonge). I am looking to find the rest of the suite names. So far I know that they are likely all bright stars and so far I have: Polaris, borealis, capella, hydra, jupiter, Lynx, mercury, neptune, Northstar, orion, pegasus, saturn, vega and suites 3701-3802. I know it seems a bit odd but if anyone knows the names of these suites it would be really helpful to me.
Thanks so much.

Maybe those two are asteroids:

3701: Purkyne

3802: Dornburg

:D durr durr durr.

Back