News   Apr 19, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 558     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 932     3 

Midtown Toronto

If Toronto's northern boundary ends at Steeles, it does seem logical to refer to the area south of Bloor as "Downtown", the area south of Lawrence as "Midtown", and everything south of Steeles as "Uptown", especially as major nodes are now developing at Eglinton and Sheppard and other major intersections along Yonge, slowly erasing or retreating the suburban feel. The terms are just general, and give everyone an idea of where you are talking about. Not sure why that is contentious or controversial, other than as a threat to sentimentality.

If Toronto's northern boundary ends at Steeles, it does seem logical to refer to the area south of Bloor as "Downtown", the area south of Lawrence as "Midtown", and everything south of Steeles as "Uptown", especially as major nodes are now developing at Eglinton and Sheppard and other major intersections along Yonge, slowly erasing or retreating the suburban feel. The terms are just general, and give everyone an idea of where you are talking about. Not sure why that is contentious or controversial, other than as a threat to sentimentality.

It's not that its contentious or controversial, but rather than the terms midtown and uptown are generally meaningless because they mean different things to different people. You've expressed an opinion - there are a number of different ones which are just as logical. And please don't condescend -- people can have different opinions based on grounds other than sentimentality.

I think the name of North Toronto Collegiate Institute should be immediately changed to Central Toronto Collegiate Institute. Stop being sentimental and living in the past!

Last edited:
I'm keeping this post in the 1 Eglinton Ave E thread updated: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/21100-1-Eglinton-Ave-E-(68s)?p=962168#post962168

We are seeing approximately 20 buildings under construction, development or application stage in the Midtown area, with potential for more what with the Eglinton Bus Bays and few remaining parking spots in the area. With the construction of the Eglinton Crosstown, development will only spread and intensify east and west of Yonge.

With Yonge+Eglinton looking to become a very high density node at the intersection of two subway lines, and with intensification in all directions throughout Midtown, are we beginning to see the makings of a Midtown Core that can complement the Downtown Core?

I was waiting anxiously for the annual Y+E Growth Watch post in the homepage, pleasantly shocked to see it come first!

Seems like a lot of buildings might be topped out this year, including the Madison, 101 Erskine and Minto30Roe, with E Condos likely not far behind.

Anyway, I've also recently began keeping the OP of this thread updated, check it out and report any errors/oversights. :)

To hard-core Torontonians, downtown is south of Dundas, and midtown is Bloor/Yonge area, and Uptown is Yonge/Eglinton - Yonge/Lawrence. This is based on the old City of Toronto boundaries. With amalgamation, downtown is really Yorkville and points south, mid-town is Yonge/Davisville to Yonge Lawrence (midway between Lawrence and York Mills). Many now consider North York Centre are Uptown. They have a very narrow view, since it's mainly based on a small north/south slice of the city along Yonge. The terms originate from Manhattan, where they make sense since it's a thin island that is stretches mostly in a north-south direction. For Toronto, it doesn't make sense. Is Uptown only NYCC or is Scarborough Centre also Uptown? I'm not a big fan of these terms except for downtown. To me the others are just monickers that can mean very different things to many people. I don't think Newmarket will ever be considered Uptown, but some people consider Thornhill as uptown. To me they will always be suburbs. That's just my opinion, others will differ.

My view is that areas should be called by their names. North York Centre is not uptown, it's North York Centre. Midtown is Yonge/Eglinton, or Davisville village or Lawrence village areas.

With amalgamation, downtown is really Yorkville and points south, mid-town is Yonge/Davisville to Yonge Lawrence (midway between Lawrence and York Mills). Many now consider North York Centre are Uptown. They have a very narrow view, since it's mainly based on a small north/south slice of the city along Yonge. The terms originate from Manhattan, where they make sense since it's a thin island that is stretches mostly in a north-south direction. For Toronto, it doesn't make sense.
Being a bit of a devil's advocate here, but I think the "Manhattan"-form of Toronto is a bit more apt than some realize. For instance, think of our stable single-family residential neighbourhoods that begin fairly consistently a few blocks east and west of Yonge as Toronto's East and Hudson Rivers. These areas can't effectively be changed, with the exception of a few key avenues. The development of Toronto's spine has actually been quite Manhattanesque because of it as it forces development in a fairly linear corridor along the #1 subway line. Whether we choose to call these areas Downtown, Midtown or Uptown is ripe for debate though.

It's all relative. If you spend all your time south of Bloor, then Bloor doesn't seem like downtown. But given it's a short walk from Bloor to Dundas, and there are subway stations everywhere, Bloor seems very downtown.

To hard-core Torontonians, downtown is south of Dundas,
So the World's Biggest Bookstore, the Toronto bus terminal, and Ryerson aren't downtown? I think this definition is past it's best-before date. We don't call Toronto's streetcar suburbs (Gerrard/Coxwell, Roncesvalles, etc.) the suburbs anymore.

Times change, names change. It is something that has been happening since humans began building cities. People need to get over it.

There are an increasing number of retail stores shuttered recently on the Yonge Street strip north of Eglinton. Anyone have any insight into whether it is lack of demand which is killing them off versus their rents are being jacked up in advance of the expected density to make room for higher paying tenants? Are retail rents rising, falling or flat in this area?

There are an increasing number of retail stores shuttered recently on the Yonge Street strip north of Eglinton. Anyone have any insight into whether it is lack of demand which is killing them off versus their rents are being jacked up in advance of the expected density to make room for higher paying tenants? Are retail rents rising, falling or flat in this area?

I'm curious about this too but I think its just the normal eb and flow of retail in and out of the area, I'm fairly sure the rental rates are pretty steep but would be curious if they go up or down as well !

What else has closed down besides Vita Sociale?

Back