midtown and uptown Toronto

Where are midtown and uptown?

• midtown is Bloor to Yonge Blvd., uptown is North York Centre

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • midtown is Bloor to Yonge Blvd., there is no uptown

• midtown is CPR/Rosedale Valley to Yonge Blvd., uptown is North York Centre

• midtown is CPR/Rosedale Valley to Eglinton, uptown is Eglinton to Yonge Blvd.

• midtown is CPR/Rosedale Valley to Yonge Blvd., there is no uptown

• midtown is around Yorkville, uptown is CPR/Rosedale Valley to Yonge Blvd.

• Total voters
I recall we had a fairly lively discussion in the Midtown thread of the neighborhood node section. It's all about perspective! What we've discovered is that midtown and uptown mean very different things to many different people.

For me, I think Bloor to St. Clair (or the Beltline) is midtown and beyond that is North Toronto (synonymous with uptown). My reasons are as follows:

- North of St. Clair was the last part of the Old City to develop, mostly after 1920

- It's north of anything else in the old city (St. Clair is basically the limit for the west end)

- Beyond the big apartment clusters, Davisville (the biggest neighborhood in this area) seems to have more in common with neighborhoods north of Eglinton (like Bedford Park) than anything south of St. Clair

- Most people do have a general sense of what you mean by "North Toronto", even as these old identities do fade away

However I can see why the St. Clair to Eglinton zone is seen as something different than "core" North Toronto north of Eglinton though. It's definitely more urban.

If "midtown" is supposed to be a section rather than a neighborhood and Yonge and Davisville or Eglinton is supposed to be the heart of it, then what is the area between "downtown" and "midtown" called? Few think of Summerhill, Rathnelly etc. as being "downtown."

"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes and yet another inconclusive debate at Urban Toronto on the location of midtown versus uptown ."

- Benjamin Franklin, in a letter to Jean-Baptiste Le Roy (13 November 1789)

ETA: Not meant to be critical. Just gentle teasing.

St. Paul's is Midtown. :)

Yonge and Eglinton is the heart of it.

Google approves!

Uptown is a question mark. Going by the evolution of the city, it would make sense for it to be NYCC today. However, I am not sure what that leaves Yonge-Bloor, Yorkville perhaps?

Back