News   Apr 25, 2024
 260     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 387     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 582     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Not sure if mentioned but does TTC have someone audit transactions or is it that the bus syncs too slow?

What happens was, my wife tapped at STC, took 129 to steeles, got on bus #53 with a paper transfer and got off at kennedy. 3.5 hours later, wife tapped on bus #43, and tapped again at bus 190.

Looking at the transaction 7 days after, It notes the TAP at STC Station @ 2:23pm - $3 deducted.
Tap at Kennedy/Sheppard @6:04:50 - Transfer

And that was it. So she's obviously missing a return fare here.

3 weeks later, I look at the history again. It seems that either TTC synced very slow, or they had someone input an extra trip. There is a "tap" @ 5:33pm now with the location noted as "0" with a deduction of $3

Last edited:
Is the Presto card tax deductible? My two teenage kids use their Presto cards to get to and from high school. It's not cheap, at $2.05 x 20 trip a week = $41. At 190 school days a year x 4 trips = $779

The TTC suggests not https://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Passes/Tax_credits_for_transit_passes.jsp

The CRA is less clear https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-ag...ne-364-public-transit-amount/eligibility.html
It used to be under the Transit tax incentive plan or whatever it was called. It was scrapped because most people didn't either bother with it or qualify for it.

It could be claimed based on certain criteria, but it was eliminated effective June 2017

Attachments

• A854950E-E694-4ED6-8B97-7CBF24321EC7.jpeg
    A854950E-E694-4ED6-8B97-7CBF24321EC7.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 215
It used to be under the Transit tax incentive plan or whatever it was called. It was scrapped because most people didn't either bother with it or qualify for it.
that really is too bad....i exploited it every year back when i was in university.

https://www.prestocard.ca/en/about/tax-credit
presto's explanation is a bit clearer, but i guess its all for nothing since the libs scrapped it....

There's still a (very, very stupid) provincial transit credit for seniors. It's not just for heavy users - anyone 65 and up with a Presto card or ticket/token purchase receipt will be able to claim them, even if it's just one trip.

Way less restrictive than the previous federal credit. Seniors already get discounted fares so it's a nice double-dip for them.

Though coincidental. This is more about the Liberal re-election strategy.

It's not coincidental at all. The Liberals announced it in response to the federal government's tax credit cancellation.

Why not make it available to everyone? Who knows.....

Way less restrictive than the previous federal credit. Seniors already get discounted fares so it's a nice double-dip for them.
Seniors, being the last generation with DB pensions and affordable housing are among our richest demographic, yet they still get all the discounts without demonstrating need. I don't begrudge or envy their success or position, I'd rather they have the wealth than the government, but why would the government cancel transit tax credits for students and adults? Yes, I know, money....

Seniors, being the last generation with DB pensions and affordable housing are among our richest demographic, yet they still get all the discounts without demonstrating need. I don't begrudge or envy their success or position, I'd rather they have the wealth than the government, but why would the government cancel transit tax credits for students and adults? Yes, I know, money....

They don't keep much money by cancelling tax credits for students. You need to pay more than a trivial amount of taxes before that type of tax-break amounts to much. An income driven fare co-pay (as in, government funds fare payment directly) would probably be the best subsidy.

All that said, transit agencies aren't struggling to get ridership; they're struggling to support ridership growth. A stronger capital program and reduced subsidies is the best use of funds for improving transit.

Back