News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 409     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I boarded a bus with fare paid access to subway to go downtown.
I ran my errand, then boarded the 509 to Union. Counted as transfer :-D

There are a lot of ways to count an actual second trip as a transfer, provided it's not the same route or tapping to re-enter the subway, which is easy enough to get around, sometimes accidentally, sometimes intentionally.

On the other hand, there are many legit transfers that it will double charge, especially considering short turns (the policy is not well known to the general public, or operators), which are much more rare outside of Toronto, if they even occur outside of the TTC at all.

According to the 'train notices' section of http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/en/updates/servicestatus.aspx the TVM upgrades to enable Presto querying/loading/vending are progressing.

On May 31st, they started work at all LSW stations except St Catharines and Mimico.

On June 19th, they will be starting work at all Barrie Line stations except York University, Maple, and Allandale Waterfront.

These upgrades are said to take a few weeks for each cluster of stations, however I understand that the upgrade to any given machine, if not to all the machines at any given station, takes no more than a day.

Some machines were already upgraded at Ajax, Oakville, Pearson Airport UPX, Union York Concourse, Union GO Bus Terminal, and Square One GO Bus Terminal. 100% of the machines will eventually be upgraded with Presto querying and loading, though only some will vend cards.

A few interesting bits of info:
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/board_agenda/20170628/20170628_BoardMtg_PRESTO_Report_EN.pdf

TTC is now the #1 presto customer, having more transactions than GO. Of course, as we know, presto is still far from fully deployed on TTC.

A July update for TTC will include Express Bus support and a Daily fare cap. For some reason I thought a TTC daily fare cap was already in place?

From the "Coming soon" section, it looks like the second generation of vending machines is required for the single-trip tickets. There is no mention of what they'll do with the current vending machines deployed on TTC.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/board_agenda/20170628/20170628_BoardMtg_PRESTO_Report_EN.pdf

TTC is now the #1 presto customer, having more transactions than GO. Of course, as we know, presto is still far from fully deployed on TTC.

A July update for TTC will include Express Bus support and a Daily fare cap. For some reason I thought a TTC daily fare cap was already in place?

From the "Coming soon" section, it looks like the second generation of vending machines is required for the single-trip tickets. There is no mention of what they'll do with the current vending machines deployed on TTC.

they can probably sell it or give it to the other TAs in the GTA. Has there been a prototype created for the new units yet and is there a schedule of deployment?

Last I heard the current reload machines were being converted into streetcar machines.

Last I heard the current reload machines were being converted into streetcar machines.

My understanding is that the current reload kiosks were actually the LFLRV onboard/offboard ticket vending machines, however the bombardier delays meant we didn't need nearly as many this soon, so Metrolinx decided to repurpose many of them into Presto reload kiosks for TTC, GO, and UPX. The plan was never for them to be permanent as in fact they were never supposed to exist.

I believe late 2017/early 2018 the TTC will start rolling out the permanent machines, which will include 1) single ride ticket vending, 2) Presto card vending, and 3) Presto card reload/querying like the current machines. The current machines will indeed go back to being ticket vending machines on the LFLRVs as they are delivered.

Similarly, GO is upgrading their long-existing ticket vending machines to also reload, and in some cases vend, Presto cards, at *all* GO stations. They will have no more need for the current reload machines once that is complete (those were only installed at Union, Bloor, Weston, and Pearson anyways, and I know that at least Union already has presto-enabled GO TVMs).

Well, I bought a Presto card today so I'm no longer a Presto virgin. I bought the card at a Shopper's Drug Mart and I used it right away. My first experience was satisfying although it seemed like it was over far too quickly. Such is life.

I have a question. I took the subway to Spadina and wanted to take the 510 Spadina. Before boarding the streetcar I asked a TTC employee if I needed to tap again once I got on the streetcar and she said I did not need to tap again. This doesn't make sense to me based on what I've read on the TTC's website and based on the fact that each fare machine on the Flexities has a reader that indicates that Presto users should tap there to obtain POP. I didn't tap today as I had a paper transfer in my pocket.

So, do I tap again when boarding a streetcar while still within the TTC fare zone (e.g. Spadina station) or don't I? o_O

They never make you tap at the Union loop. Otherwise, yes, tap when transferring from streetcar to streetcar or bus to streetcar.

They never make you tap at the Union loop. Otherwise, yes, tap when transferring from streetcar to streetcar or bus to streetcar.

Okay, fair enough. But what about transferring from the subway to a streetcar?

What about at Broadview station where the streetcar loading platforms are at street level and open to public access as opposed to Spadina and Union which are located within the subway stations?

.. and based on the fact that each fare machine on the Flexities has a reader that indicates that Presto users should tap there to obtain POP.
That doesn't even work any more. That's from last year, when you were supposed to get a transfer when you used Presto. That is no longer necessary, and disabled on most machines.

It's like a bus. If you are in the fare-paid area (Main, Dundas, etc.), don't tap (though shouldn't be any harm if you do - but why risk it). If there's no fare paid area (Queen, King, Dundas, Jane (for buses), Dufferin (for buses), you tap.

What about at Broadview station where the streetcar loading platforms are at street level and open to public access as opposed to Spadina and Union which are located within the subway stations?
You treat Broadview like Spadina and Union (and Main, Dundas, Bathurst, St. Clair, etc.), because you don't actually leave the fare-paid area, even though on a different floor.

The answer to tapping on streetcars and buses in the station is kind of a gary area right now. In theory you are supposed to do it as once Tap outs are put in place on the new fare gates you will need to tap onto a bus or streetcar everywhere as it will show the system you are exiting it or transferring. The reason for tapping onto buses and streetcars in the station is not everyone will get off of one in asation so it's your tap off.

Just a note if you tap on a bus or streetcar inside of atsion it will register as transfer. The only time you shouldn't tao on a bus or streetcar is if you are short tuned and get on one on the same route. Like for example if you get off of the 510 streetcar ant Queens Quay and get on another 510. If you get on a 509 you should tap though

It's illegal to walk into the bus/streetcar platforms without going through the station entrance. The only exceptions are some of the former zone two stations in the west end where the bus platforms are outside the fare paid area.

Hopefully trash them since they don't work half the time. Tried reloading at Islington the other day and both machines weren't working.

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 2.09.27 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 2.09.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 2.09.27 PM.png
    61 KB · Views: 214

Back