News   Apr 18, 2024
 562     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

That's nearly enough
The problem with large organizations is that they say they are doing a "trial" or "test" but have already planned the full roll-out and ordered everything so the trial/test is not really that at all. I really hope the TTC take customer comments on the gates at Main into account before moving ahead everywhere. (Similarly, they are apparently installing 3000 new surface stop signs. (See their Customer Charter). They tested some on the 94 bus a year or more ago and there were many useful comments, ideally they would run a new trial BEFORE ordering 3000 of these.

The problem with large organizations is that they say they are doing a "trial" or "test" but have already planned the full roll-out and ordered everything so the trial/test is not really that at all. I really hope the TTC take customer comments on the gates at Main into account before moving ahead everywhere. (Similarly, they are apparently installing 3000 new surface stop signs. (See their Customer Charter). They tested some on the 94 bus a year or more ago and there were many useful comments, ideally they would run a new trial BEFORE ordering 3000 of these.

There's a chance that the pilot for the signs meant ordering a small batch first, with an option to get more in the future. We do that with signage where I work when we are testing new things. It allows you to make minor changes before the entire batch is printed.The quote is based on the full order quantity, but the full quantity isn't actually ordered until the first batch comes in.

The gates are likely a different story, since they require a lot of manufacturing and parts, though I'm sure the contract likely has room for changes and that not all of the gates have been put together yet.

There's a chance that the pilot for the signs meant ordering a small batch first, with an option to get more in the future. We do that with signage where I work when we are testing new things. It allows you to make minor changes before the entire batch is printed.The quote is based on the full order quantity, but the full quantity isn't actually ordered until the first batch comes in.

Yes, they clearly DID order a few 'test' signs for the 94 bus route when they ran the trial on that route a year or more ago but there were MANY suggestions for improvements and my point is that it may be good to run another (short) trial with the revised Mark 2 signs before ordering 3000 of them. Ideally all will be OK with their latest iteration and they can simply move on with this but we have put up with the current signage for decades so getting it right is better than rushing ahead. The gates should be a general standard and I agree that they will PROBABLY be OK but there is no point in having trials if the manufacturing process is already in full-swing and can only be tweaked at high cost.

(Similarly, they are apparently installing 3000 new surface stop signs. (See their Customer Charter). They tested some on the 94 bus a year or more ago and there were many useful comments, ideally they would run a new trial BEFORE ordering 3000 of these.

Just a side note on this, I was tweeting with TTCDesign, and whoever is running the account said they are still finalizing design, and will be posting concept details soon.

You also don't load things onto Apple Pay; it's a payment system, so you buy things with it and it charges you accordingly (as EYTTCF said, currently the only option is AMEX) There isn't even a Presto app (boo!), so it's a long way away before we're likely to be able to load it anywhere other than a physical card.

Will it be possible to load transit passes onto credit cards and Apple Pay?

If I recall correctly from a previous but recent Metrolinx meeting, Robert Hollis (I think that's his name) said they're working to implement concessions, and pass products on debit and credit cards...

Last edited:
If I recall correctly from a previous but recent Metrolinx meeting, Robert Hollis (I think that's his name) said concession they're working to implement concessions, and pass products on debit and credit cards...
I'm not sure how they do that without creating extra processing costs - I'd have to think they'd be able to offer better pricing for those using Presto, than those using VISA or Interac. Though I guess that doesn't preclude them doing that ... after all, if you make a 12- month commitment now, you get about 10% off what you pay buying monthly.

I'm not sure how they do that without creating extra processing costs - I'd have to think they'd be able to offer better pricing for those using Presto, than those using VISA or Interac. Though I guess that doesn't preclude them doing that ... after all, if you make a 12- month commitment now, you get about 10% off what you pay buying monthly.

I wonder that too. I know when they were testing Visa/Mastercard contactless payments at a few downtown stations, I was charged $3 per trip, whereas using Presto card would only charge you $2.60. If they roll it out using the same model, I can't see them allowing for passes on anything but a Presto card.

Makes sense; you can buy a single trip (just as you would currently use cash) but integrating Presto itself is a whole other step.

It's definitely happening on streetcars, where the 2nd "leg" is the same route as the 1st "leg", within 2-hours (I have way too many examples of that! in last week!). Perhaps it's not happening when the 3rd "leg" is the same as the 2nd "leg".

Though why did 4th leg work? Perhaps that "0" data problem struck again.

Here's an example of 5 trips on January 19th. All on the 506. Trip 3 was only 55 minutes after Trip 2. And Trip 5 was 15 minutes after Trip 4. Not one transfer, so it's not letting you have two consecutive trips that start on the same route. The trips were eastbound, westbound, eastbound, westbound, and then eastbound.

It was indeed 5 separate trips.

View attachment 64865

Here's another example of a streetcar>subway>streetcar scenario. Based on @Megaton327's trip I thought I'd get the last leg counted a transfer, but unfortunately not.

I wonder if PRESTO knew that I was travelling WB, because I tapped on the east side of Yonge rather than the west, and applied the fare policy of not allowing trips that double back. Or am I wrong and can this be argued as one continuous trip?

504 EB, transfer SB on line 1 around the loop and up to King station, then a 504 WB.

23vxh8z.jpg

Back