News   Apr 18, 2024
 472     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.6K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

You have to tap to pay; I find tapping when getting on is faster than depositing a fare, at least once people figure out where to tap! Of course, it's not going to be faster than people who have a MetroPass and don't have to deposit a fare or tap.

There's no indication that those with passes or valid transfers would have to tap to enter. And for now such things aren't even possible. So only those who are getting the $2.80 deducted from their card are tapping. So I don't see any change to dwell time.

I suppose on buses where everyone has to file past the operator might be different ... but the extra half-second for those with transfers or passes to stop, might well outweigh the fare disputes, etc., when using change.

TTC inspectors do have the Presto card checking machines already. It's the same customized smartphone as the UP express staff use. I was travelling with someone who paid with Presto and didn't take a paper transfer, fare inspectors boarded mid-route, she gave one of them her Presto card. He had no problem with that and immediately took out the Presto smartphone. However, he had some technical difficulties with it and couldn't get it up and running, and of course in that situation he just said fine and moved on to the next person, no issues--could even have asked her to go to the transfer machine and print one to verify on the spot, and didn't.

Good luck trying that when getting off the 509/510 at Union during Ex crowds -- they've taken to having a number of officers there checking transfers, and they want to see transfers!

I don't get PRESTO for Torontonians themselves.

Let's say a Metropass is $130 and because I ride the TTC about 100 times a month is it more than worth it. Now let's say I ditched my Metropass for PRESTO and "tapped" in like they want everyone to and I still use the TTC 100 times a month. Would this mean that PRESTO would stop charging me any fare once I hit the price of a Metropass at $130?

Good luck trying that when getting off the 509/510 at Union during Ex crowds -- they've taken to having a number of officers there checking transfers, and they want to see transfers!

Its true, they gave me a "wtf" face when I showed them my presto card, assuming that they had the inspection devices. This happened to me at Spadina Stn as well.

I'm a Torontonian who doesn't use a Metropass because I take the TTC about once a week. For me, Presto is great (when I can use it) because I don't have to worry about having a token.

I don't get PRESTO for Torontonians themselves.

Let's say a Metropass is $130 and because I ride the TTC about 100 times a month is it more than worth it. Now let's say I ditched my Metropass for PRESTO and "tapped" in like they want everyone to and I still use the TTC 100 times a month. Would this mean that PRESTO would stop charging me any fare once I hit the price of a Metropass at $130?

There's no monthly cap present at least for the TTC at the moment. You'll be charged even if youve went over $130 in a month. In other words, you'll be paying more than for the price of a metropass with PRESTO.

Initially, PRESTO was implemented on the TTC merely for convenience for GO and 905 commuters, as a token alternative. Hence why it was first implemented at stations where connection to other transit agencies was present. For example, Finch=YRT/VIVA, Union=GO.

There's no monthly cap present at least for the TTC at the moment. You'll be charged even if youve went over $130 in a month. In other words, you'll be paying more than for the price of a metropass with PRESTO.
Isn't that just a function of the fact that they have not formulated a Presto pricing plan yet? Every other system that uses Presto has some sort of capping mechanism and/or ability to load passes to the card.

TTC can be criticized for not having their plan in place yet (maybe) but they also have not been pushing/encouraging Metropass holders to convert to Presto....presumably the two things (a pricing plan and a conversion push) will come at roughly the same time.

Isn't that just a function of the fact that they have not formulated a Presto pricing plan yet? Every other system that uses Presto has some sort of capping mechanism and/or ability to load passes to the card.

TTC can be criticized for not having their plan in place yet (maybe) but they also have not been pushing/encouraging Metropass holders to convert to Presto....presumably the two things (a pricing plan and a conversion push) will come at roughly the same time.

Other transit authorities have had the capping system post-pilot testing, they planned a fare structure and implemented it at the same time as their rollout progressed. The TTC does not have this mechanism as they're looking for other fare structure solutions and opportunities, this report will come in the fall which it will determine the TTC's future fare structure as PRESTO is an opportunity to change. Then TTC can promote the perks of switching to PRESTO, which at the moment is "paying the lowest fare".

Frankly, it doesn't matter what they want. A Presto card is POP under TTC By-law no. 1, and if they don't feel like taking out their inspection device, that's their problem.

Frankly, it doesn't matter what they want. A Presto card is POP under TTC By-law no. 1, and if they don't feel like taking out their inspection device, that's their problem.
If one takes By-law 1 literally, you violate it by taking a transfer after tapping into a subway station using Presto.

Got a PRESTO question. So, let's say that I have no default trip set. I tap on the GO Train at wherever along Lakeshore West or Lakeshore East, and take it to Union Station. After exiting at Union station, I forget to tap off, and tap into the TTC subway station. Will PRESTO charge me to the end of the line for forgetting to tap off? I believe that it used to do this ... but my memory might be hazy

Got a PRESTO question. So, let's say that I have no default trip set. I tap on the GO Train at wherever along Lakeshore West or Lakeshore East, and take it to Union Station. After exiting at Union station, I forget to tap off, and tap into the TTC subway station. Will PRESTO charge me to the end of the line for forgetting to tap off? I believe that it used to do this ... but my memory might be hazy

You'll be charged to the end if the line when you next tap at a GO Transit device regardless if you tapped on at Union TTC. The only way to close a GO Trip is to tap off.

Which then becomes a problem for hundreds of people when you hold up the line arguing with them about it. I'm not going to be that person who pisses off rush hour crowds over a point of principle. Far easier to just grab a transfer until they get it all sorted out.

Back