News   Apr 17, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 324     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Some systems, like BART in SF, are very reluctant to give up the float they make on holding cash in their own purse.

Probably because they aren't exactly holding cash, but using it all to offset debt like short term loans at comparatively high interest. Just by itself BART has issued well over $1 billion in bonds outstanding.

Last edited:
I noticed new signs at Sherbourne Station saying finishes are being removed to allow for Presto installation. Guess it's one of the next batches of stations to be equipped.

Probably because they aren't exactly holding cash, but using it all to offset debt like short term loans at comparatively high interest. Just by itself BART has issued well over $1 billion in bonds outstanding.
BART is quite a unique beast. When it's working well, it's a great way to get around the bay. The trains are quite pricey though, as they're custom gauge and custom lots of things. Staff are also very expensive as they are ridiculously well-compensated with salary and benefits. A few years back they were discussing on going on strike for a raise when California was in its financial crisis. All state employees were being furloughed and lots of private employees had been laid off. The public basically told off the BART employees and they backed down on their strike plans.

So with the PRESTO streetcar pilot complete, we should be seeing a widespread installation of the readers on the CLRVs and ALRVs between now and December. My money is on October for when it'll begin, but the earlier the better. No new information for subway implementation, still "by the end 2016". The Bus pilot will begin this fall.
IMG_20150902_122635.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150902_122635.jpg
    IMG_20150902_122635.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 409
I'd think that if one wanted a transfer, one would go through the front doors!

Though based what I'm seeing at busy stops, most are boarding at the front doors anyway.

It's a tough call. Are they supposed to deploy all sorts of extra equipment for a few months during the transition? Or just use the current system, by having the operator hand out paper transfers.

I think you go for the cheap and easy, given it's only for a year or so. But I don't know what they are going to do.

I'd think that if one wanted a transfer, one would go through the front doors!

Though based what I'm seeing at busy stops, most are boarding at the front doors anyway.

It's a tough call. Are they supposed to deploy all sorts of extra equipment for a few months during the transition? Or just use the current system, by having the operator hand out paper transfers.

I think you go for the cheap and easy, given it's only for a year or so. But I don't know what they are going to do.
Since the fare checking machines have a long term use and would help with this transition....that is the first equipment I would have bought before roll out (and why I suggested they may be why there is no transfer issuer in that pic above.....but, I guess, that does not get you on the next vehicle if it happens to not have Presto).

I don't know either. It's a pain having to get a transfer when you use Presto, but on the other hand, I'd like to always be able to use Presto and not have to bring a token just in case I don't get the new streetcars.

I'm seeing increased all door boarding on the 509.

Transition phases are annoying.

Do you think requiring people to tap as they get on would increase dwell time?

Currently on the POP routes like 510 Spadina, you just get on all doors without needing to tap or show anything with a metropass or fare receipt from the machine at the stop.

As a rider I like that. It's the same with Muni in SF, you just get on the bus and don't have to do anything else.

Back