News   Apr 24, 2024
 109     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 269     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 593     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Presto Card? Why? When we have TTCConnect. See link.

A new E-Ticketing option will be available early July to make taking the TTC easier for customers. You will be able to purchase either a Single Day Pass or Group Pass using the TTCconnect app on your iOS or android device.​

It's kind of an stupid system. Relies on TTC operators looking at your smartphone screen every time, no way to verify it's an guarantee purchased ticket, other than the screen changing colour when you tap it. Despite is faults, Presto cards have the advantage of NFC to verify valid fares and to move passengers quickly through the door and turnstiles. I get the idea is for users want it all in the phone, but Apple doesn't allow third-party apps access to the NFC and the use of QR Codes as payment/proof-of-purchase debate of its pros and cons can take up an entire thread.

It's kind of an stupid system. Relies on TTC operators looking at your smartphone screen every time, no way to verify it's an guarantee purchased ticket, other than the screen changing colour when you tap it. Despite is faults, Presto cards have the advantage of NFC to verify valid fares and to move passengers quickly through the door and turnstiles. I get the idea is for users want it all in the phone, but Apple doesn't allow third-party apps access to the NFC and the use of QR Codes as payment/proof-of-purchase debate of its pros and cons can take up an entire thread.

My thinking is it's only for the pan am game to help with poel buying day passes so there aren't long lines at the collectors booths. I'm only thinking that because all the adds I've seen for it on the subway mention the Pan Am Games in them as well. My guess is once presto comes in they are going to get rid of it compactly or maybe even before that.

And NFC chips in Android phones continue to be a mostly useless add on outside of the US. :(

No

And how is that any different than the current system of using paper passes?

The operator doesn't verify every day pass isn't simply a printout. Its no different than that. Upon closer inspection the operator would be able to see if its simply an image or if it is an actual pass.

It's beyond most people's capabilities to print a fake day pass. Especially since they're scratch-off.

It's beyond most people's capabilities to print a fake day pass. Especially since they're scratch-off.

Yes, but is a collector really going to notice from behind a booth? They barely even look at them to begin with. It's more of an honour system than anything.

And how is that any different than the current system of using paper passes?

The operator doesn't verify every day pass isn't simply a printout. Its no different than that. Upon closer inspection the operator would be able to see if its simply an image or if it is an actual pass.

You highlighted why they're ending the paper passes. It shouldn't operate in the same manner as paper passes, because if your just creating a app that has the same security features as a paper pass, then why create the app at all? Besides, I can create the same app in Android and the TTC Operator wouldn't no the difference. They should have least have the app generate an QR Code that the TTC Operator can scan to verify with it central system that the e-ticket is valid and paid for.

Looking at the PDF a few pages back, am I the only one who thinks the TTC is overly optimistic about being able to drop fare collectors entirely? In recent years I've been to both Montreal and New York, and they both have fare collectors despite being on a smart card system. Likewise GO is 100% Presto, yet they have fare collectors at their stations. They are useful for when cards need servicing, or if someone is paying with cash.

One thing of interest is that it mentions rear door Presto setup on buses. Is the TTC really moving towards a 100% POP fare structure? I can understand it on streetcars and certain key bus routes (ie: the 19X Rocket routes), but on lesser used routes it seems far less cost efficient since either people will sneak on or they will be having to pay a special constable to check buses with few riders.

One thing of interest is that it mentions rear door Presto setup on buses. Is the TTC really moving towards a 100% POP fare structure? I can understand it on streetcars and certain key bus routes (ie: the 19X Rocket routes), but on lesser used routes it seems far less cost efficient since either people will sneak on or they will be having to pay a special constable to check buses with few riders.

I imagine for a low use bus route, the driver probably just wouldn't need to open the rear doors at all. Since it's low use, it's not too much time for the driver to check POP.

Looking at the PDF a few pages back, am I the only one who thinks the TTC is overly optimistic about being able to drop fare collectors entirely? In recent years I've been to both Montreal and New York, and they both have fare collectors despite being on a smart card system. Likewise GO is 100% Presto, yet they have fare collectors at their stations. They are useful for when cards need servicing, or if someone is paying with cash.
What I get is they will go with something similar to GO's model. There will be station attendant, just not "at the gate" as is TTC's current set up.

I imagine for a low use bus route, the driver probably just wouldn't need to open the rear doors at all. Since it's low use, it's not too much time for the driver to check POP.
Though I'm not aware of any plans to use POP on any bus routes, beyond the buses replacing streetcars (the 504 shuttle, etc.).

The app's limited function stinks of something bought off the shelf rather than designed to actual TTC/Torontonian requirements just to meet a Pan Am deadline. So many things being rammed into the GTA transit system half assed - god help us if David Peterson and the others pleading with the IOC to like us get their way and we have nine more years of hasty decisions.

And no, I'm not *just* saying this out of rage that another Toronto municipal app (after Green P) has come out without Blackberry support because its American developer couldn't be bothered and the city didn't consider it critical to back a significant regional employer.

I haven't used the Green P app yet - but can't Blackberry (or Windows) users simply use the website from their mobile? https://parkgreenp.com/park/ I thought a specialized app was only necessary for more more limited devices that can't handle just using the website.

If you are an average person who lives in Toronto and takes the TTC to and from work in the downtown, while driving in the evenings and weekends, the Presto Card will be cheaper than any adult metro passes that you can buy.

Paying two $2.80 fares a day 5 days a week on a presto is $29.50 cheaper per month than a full priced adult metro pass, $12.50 cheaper than a max discount VIP metro pass, and also has a tax return advantage over using tokens as Presto charges qualify for transit tax rebates whereas tokens do not.

and it's convinent just in case you need to take transit to the 905 or need to travel to Pearson on the UPX.

Lastly, you can use your rewards credit card to top up your presto card to earn points and the auto reload function means you never need to worry about buying transit passes again. Ever.

Ps if you are lazy like me, the NFC in the presto card is strong enough to scan through a wallet, so you don't even need two hands to pay your fare

Why do you think an average person drives during the weekend and don't use transit? It is still a lot more convenient and probably cheaper to take transit when they come to downtown. And that $12.5 is probably worth it.

I think what they should do is to to scrap monthly passes and put a maximum charge amount equivalent to the monthly pass so that the system keeps deducting fare for each trip until the cap is reached. Essentially one can have a monthly pass without having to buy one. London does that on a daily basis. Not sure if TTC will be sane enough to do that, or will keep maximizing profits.

Back