News   Apr 24, 2024
 320     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 379     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 732     1 

GTHA Transit Fare Integration

This is nothing but great news and hopefully it will expand to 100% price decrease for transfers and not the 50%.

This is what will help make RER a real success. GO have so many potential Toronto riders that cannot use the service due to the price. It is not coincidence that GO fares are drastically higher on a per-km basis for Torontonians and Toronto has fewer GO Rail patrons than just Mississauga despite Toronto having much higher frequencies, all 7 lines, and home to Union.

To bad Toronto doesn't join QP in paying for the other $18 million {which is pennies in the Toronto budget} so there is 100% fare integration and watch GO rail ridership soar overnight.

This is nothing but great news and hopefully it will expand to 100% price decrease for transfers and not the 50%.

This is what will help make RER a real success. GO have so many potential Toronto riders that cannot use the service due to the price. It is not coincidence that GO fares are drastically higher on a per-km basis for Torontonians and Toronto has fewer GO Rail patrons than just Mississauga despite Toronto having much higher frequencies, all 7 lines, and home to Union.

To bad Toronto doesn't join QP in paying for the other $18 million {which is pennies in the Toronto budget} so there is 100% fare integration and watch GO rail ridership soar overnight.

Wow, didn't see this coming.

So much so, I haven't even been reading this thread. Imagine my surprise when I picked up the Star at the front door - it's the main headline!

I can see how it works, for those that pay-as-you go. But I wonder if those with a TTC pass would get the discount.

Hmm, and I wonder how it would work with GO refunds for late trips. And the deeply discounted 3-hour return. Potentially, you might be in a situation where you can make money taking transit (assuming all the trains are late).

I can see how it works, for those that pay-as-you go. But I wonder if those with a TTC pass would get the discount.

Hmm, and I wonder how it would work with GO refunds for late trips. And the deeply discounted 3-hour return. Potentially, you might be in a situation where you can make money taking transit (assuming all the trains are late).

All good questions. I doubt there is any new code/logic for this so whatever existing cofare's do in these cases is probably what will happen with a TTC fare.

IIRC, Mississauga monthly pass customers do not receive a discounted GO fare on transferring but a quick look around hasn't found anything official stating that's intentional.

Not realy Go Transit is still more expensive then the TTC so I don't relly see this doing much for someone that uses the TTC, now if they announced that you could board a Go train with TTC fare in the city of Toronto then I would be excited about that, but I don't ever see that happening.

Tory says this $1.50 charge is a good step in the right direction towards SmartTrack. I suppose this likely means this will be the extent of SmartTrack fare integration

IIRC, Mississauga monthly pass customers do not receive a discounted GO fare on transferring but a quick look around hasn't found anything official stating that's intentional.

no one gets a discounted GO fare in any of the agreements that I know of....the fare that is discounted/subsidized/"insert own terminology here" is the local transit fare.

So pass holders are unaffected as they would not be paying a fare when they transfer anyway.....what will be impacted is the decision about buying a pass or not.

eg. A worker at QP who lives in Oakville takes GO to Union every day and buys a monthly metropass to take the subway from Union to QP.....they do this because 5X2X$3X4.3 = $129 and a metropass is$134 (on the monthly pass) so buying that pass basically covers their "regular" commute usage and all/any other TTC use is covered at $5/mth. replace the $3 in that equation with $1.50 and the math changes enough that the person using GO to TTC as part of their regular commute probably does not buy the pass.

Tory says this $1.50 charge is a good step in the right direction towards SmartTrack. I suppose this likely means this will be the extent of SmartTrack fare integration

He's got to keep the fantasy alive!

Yup I don't really see how $1.50 change in price is going to shift how people in Toronto get around. The biggest problem I see with smart track/rer is the location of the current rail lines, they only benefit a few people that live near to them.

Yup I don't really see how $1.50 change in price is going to shift how people in Toronto get around. The biggest problem I see with smart track/rer is the location of the current rail lines, they only benefit a few people that live near to them.

Silly rationale. Subways and LRT's also only benefit a few people that live near the station. You also are assuming that the bus routes will not change to move people towards high order transit stations (actually this should have been a precondition of the $1.50 discount).

It will be interesting to see if there is an increase in subway ridership (and the 509 streetcar). Will people that walk up to Queen or down to Queens Quay on rainy/snowy days pay the $1.50 to go 2 stops?

Silly rationale. Subways and LRT's also only benefit a few people that live near the station. You also are assuming that the bus routes will not change to move people towards high order transit stations (actually this should have been a precondition of the $1.50 discount).

It will be interesting to see if there is an increase in subway ridership (and the 509 streetcar). Will people that walk up to Queen or down to Queens Quay on rainy/snowy days pay the $1.50 to go 2 stops?
More people live near subway stations plus more bus and streetcar routes serve TTC stations because more people that live in Toronto use them. I don't think we will ever see people change how they commute inside of Toronto no matter how many extra go train stops that we don't need.

no one gets a discounted GO fare in any of the agreements that I know of....the fare that is discounted/subsidized/"insert own terminology here" is the local transit fare.

Queen’s Park are the ones absorbing the difference though, with the current agreement with the local transit agencies as well as in this new deal with the TTC, so while it may look differently when you tap your Presto, the discounted fare is technically the Go fare. The municipalities do collect their full fare amount.

Back