News   Apr 25, 2024
 61     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

GTHA Transit Fare Integration

Or conversely, get York Region to pay for that fare as a yearly subsidy to the TTC? Since it really isn't that much anyways.

York Region wasn't willing to do that when they were contracting TTC to run their buses. They're not going to start now.

Or conversely, get York Region to pay for that fare as a yearly subsidy to the TTC? Since it really isn't that much anyways.

But in all seriousness, I think what really need to happen is some degree of regional revenue pool to facilitate cross-boundary integration.

FWIW, I agree.
I think RER is really going to force their hand as there has to be some fare logic between the various modes. The only way to do it fairly is to have the province (Metrolinx, presumably) have a funding pool to off-set the subsidies of whatever system they come up with. Of course, it should also be funded regionally. Now, if there was only an appetite for road tolls and someone with the political stones to push for them...

But in all seriousness, I think what really need to happen is some degree of regional revenue pool to facilitate cross-boundary integration.

AoD

You might be joking, but I'm not sure I understand what's wrong with that idea.

I totally agree that a fare zone system like Vancouver's is ideal although admittedly it was far easier to implement and run because most of the zone boundaries are delineated by water.

In terms of fare integration Metrolinx, which seems to be doing everything within it's power to make the decisive decision to kick the can down the road, should start with first things first...........integration between local transit systems and GO. Remember that the number of people crossing boundaries on buses is going to decline substantially as ridership grows due to RER and the {hypothetical} opening of the Spadina extension.

As RER begins to offer bus comparable frequencies in the 905, many more people will opt for it as opposed to bus-to-bus transfers from one city to the next. This means the first, and most important step, is fare integration with GO/RER and local systems. Transit system transfer from one city to another will be complicated but system to GO is pretty easy and could be implemented within a few months. All they have to do is offer 100% discount on GO fares from the fare you just bought to get to the station.

So taking Weston as an example. Currently taking the bus to get to the station and going to Union costs $5 plus TTC but if fare integration was complete it would be $5 minus TTC. All of a sudden the fare from the Weston area drops from $8 to $3.....a big savings. Of course the travelling public would love it but it is also very politically palatable as it wouldn't cost the local systems like the TTC a cent as the GO fares would stay exactly the same. The 905 systems would also like it as it not only wouldn't cost them a cent but would probably increase ridership as their trip to Union is made significantly cheaper resulting in fewer people parking or going Kiss n Ride and more taking transit to get to their nearest GO station.

I totally agree that a fare zone system like Vancouver's is ideal although admittedly it was far easier to implement and run because most of the zone boundaries are delineated by water.

In terms of fare integration Metrolinx, which seems to be doing everything within it's power to make the decisive decision to kick the can down the road, should start with first things first...........integration between local transit systems and GO. Remember that the number of people crossing boundaries on buses is going to decline substantially as ridership grows due to RER and the {hypothetical} opening of the Spadina extension.

Local transit to Spadina extension is not a local-GO transfer though.

As RER begins to offer bus comparable frequencies in the 905, many more people will opt for it as opposed to bus-to-bus transfers from one city to the next. This means the first, and most important step, is fare integration with GO/RER and local systems. Transit system transfer from one city to another will be complicated but system to GO is pretty easy and could be implemented within a few months. All they have to do is offer 100% discount on GO fares from the fare you just bought to get to the station.

So taking Weston as an example. Currently taking the bus to get to the station and going to Union costs $5 plus TTC but if fare integration was complete it would be $5 minus TTC. All of a sudden the fare from the Weston area drops from $8 to $3.....a big savings. Of course the travelling public would love it but it is also very politically palatable as it wouldn't cost the local systems like the TTC a cent as the GO fares would stay exactly the same. The 905 systems would also like it as it not only wouldn't cost them a cent but would probably increase ridership as their trip to Union is made significantly cheaper resulting in fewer people parking or going Kiss n Ride and more taking transit to get to their nearest GO station.

Using your formula does the Weston fare not drop to $5 as opposed to the $3 you note.

None of this, however, accounts for the fact that what you are proposing is, stated another way, a fare reduction....some system somewhere on each trip is getting less money.

This fare integration thing has been going on forever, yet still this is all they can tell us:

Read.

"We are uncertain how to proceed given that most of the solutions are politically unpalatable and involve paying more for better service. While that is logical and necessary, the politics of the situation remain dicey."

If this keeps on going nowhere, I suggest the federal government step in and impose fare integration onto the GTHA. Is this even an option though (or possible)?

Back