News   Apr 25, 2024
 347     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

Would Bombardier dare bid on LA project with the current mess it has in the Great White North as well Trump saying built in the USA 100% to keep job there????

It had a mess with Minneapolis cars built in the famous Mexico Plant and never got a contract on more for its expansion as well in the USA since then.

Since the thread is Flexity Freedoms, I'll leave buses for another thread. The real question is if we buy buses annually, why is it so hard to wrap our minds around another 60 (the official number required) or 120 legacy streetcar system vehicles. If you want to exclude Bombardier, fine, but while you can buy buses and take delivery in six months, buying a rail vehicle likely comes with a 36 month lead time. Even if we asked Bombardier to do the job, these vehicles are coming in 2020. Time to get on this. Or we should forget about rebuilding the Queensway ROW and a gazillion km of track and just build a bus ROW because we are about to have nothing to run on 30% of the track.

The Queensway ROW would be using the Flexity Outlooks, the first 30 we have here already.

The Flexity Freedom prototype (test car) had been sent to Kingston (the one in Ontario, not Jamaica) for trials. See link (dated Nov 28, 2016). This model will be used for Eglinton Crosstown, Finch West, Waterloo Region's ION, etc..

Bombardier sends Eglinton Crosstown, Finch West LRT test car to Kingston, Ont. for trials
Metrolinx said Bombardier should have delivered test vehicle in 2014

toronto-bombardier-lrt.jpeg

The Queensway ROW would be using the Flexity Outlooks, the first 30 we have here already.

The Flexity Freedom prototype (test car) had been sent to Kingston (the one in Ontario, not Jamaica) for trials. See link (dated Nov 28, 2016). This model will be used for Eglinton Crosstown, Finch West, Waterloo Region's ION, etc..

Bombardier sends Eglinton Crosstown, Finch West LRT test car to Kingston, Ont. for trials
Metrolinx said Bombardier should have delivered test vehicle in 2014

toronto-bombardier-lrt.jpeg
I'm just curious as to what Metrolinks was planing on doing with it for four years?

I'm just curious as to what Metrolinks was planing on doing with it for four years?

Running them on Sheppard East when that was a thing. IIRC, Bombardiers delivery schedule was set when Sheppard East and SRT replacement were to open in mid 2015.

Running them on Sheppard East when that was a thing. IIRC, Bombardiers delivery schedule was set when Sheppard East and SRT replacement were to open in mid 2015.
Yes but that doesn't exist so what were they planning to do with them now have them collect dust well they waited for ion to be ready?

Yes but that doesn't exist so what were they planning to do with them now have them collect dust well they waited for ion to be ready?

Not much (approve of vehicle design, try to break them, staff training for both drivers and mechanics) but those are the dates in the contract so technically Bombardier is very late. Internally, Bombardier clearly looked at what Metrolinx was going to do with the vehicles and decided to prioritize TTC and Waterloo instead.

I highly doubt Eglinton or Finch will open late due to vehicle shortage.

Not much (approve of vehicle design, try to break them, staff training for both drivers and mechanics) but those are the dates in the contract so technically Bombardier is very late. Internally, Bombardier clearly looked at what Metrolinx was going to do with the vehicles and decided to prioritize TTC and Waterloo instead.
that's what I was thinking when I saw the comment from metrolinks. I think they are just too new to the transit realm and have basically to this point only dealing with an established company (go transit) and not with a project of their own.

Receive first prototype vehicle in 2014.
Identify issues and tweaks for the prototype in 2015. All season testing.
Begin production of KW's ION vehicles in 2016. Thanks to sufficient lead time, only 1 production line necessary.
Begin production of Metrolinx vehicles in 2018.

You got to love these corporate lawyers...
All they do is sue the life out of eachother and reap the monetary gains from a lifetime of litigation

You think BBD should have just accepted Metrolinx' threat to cancel the contract? Not tell "their side of the story"?

I think here in TO we are a little too familiar with their side of the story - and now we have to spend additional taxpayer resources in more ways than one to hear it from the firm again. If only they spent more time doing actual work and ensuring quality...

AoD

Back