News   Apr 26, 2024
 321     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 298     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 486     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

That's an excellent link from W.K., just glancing through it for now, there's a lot to digest in there, but my immediate thought is like Drum's:

I've seen them in use in a number of jurisdictions, albeit I've got to check to make sure they are fully low floor before citing them. The fact that the Ottawa ones (and related) are Alstom indicates a German and/or French origin:

Pardon the lazy posting, short on time, but this is a great string to discuss further later:

- : Google search results (first three) for "alstom citadis low floor tram coupled into trains"

PS: From W.K.'s Seattle link:
[...][Double Link is based on the 48 m (158 ft) long 4-segment vehicles from Alstom that Ottawa’s OC Transpo picked for its new Confederation Line. Their downtown subway platforms are 120 m (400 ft) long just like Link’s, while their surface platforms are 90 m with provision for future expansion. Likewise, the vehicles can be expanded to 59 m (194 ft) by inserting an additional segment. Siemens, the builder of Link’s new vehicles, offer comparable products outside North America. Link’s sister vehicles in New Jersey have been retrofitted with extra segments, opening the possibility for the current Kinkisharyo fleet to be lengthened as well.][...]

Now that is intriguing....note also from the latter Google hit above:
"It is built on a tram-train concept which allows the trams to run even on rail-tracks"

This is a point being raised time and again, and Ottawa has received at least one major TC waiver for the O-Train...when does Metrolinx go to bat for the GTHA?
I roded Siemens 2nd longest one in Budapest in 2012 and it was 100% lowfloor.

Most cars being built these days are mostly 100% lowfloor, but been on 70% lowfloor and wasn't happy with it. Been on trams where the centre section was only lowfloor and lack space..

Alston has stated to me since 2005 that their cars have the ability to add or remove section to meet the need of a system overtime. They have never stated what the max length that tram can be expanded to since I never asked in the first place.

When I look at systems having 3 or 4 cars couple together, I see a lot of money being wasted when they could use 2 longer ones. TTC has done this when they they moved to the TR as one full train compare to the 6 T1-H's cars. At this time, Calgary, St Paul and a number others are expanding their existing platforms to hold 3-4 or more cars.

@steveintoronto The Wikipedia link is broken. Oh, and the Wikipedia URL should begin with:
Code:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
As posted... just click on it, it's a "hyperlink"
Alstom Citadis - Wikipedia

Checking all the links posted, they all work, just 'hover' over the title and click, not the subsidiary link detail.

Here's from the Railway Age linked article, and indeed, the Melbourne ones were the ones I was going to mention prior, but can now do so. I believe, IIRC, that Oz might even have an assembly agreement on them for their own market, but will double check that later.

Again, emphasis on not only 'dual-mode' (diesel/electric and electric AC/elect DC) models, but also how these meet rail reg specs in other jurisdictions. Again, one wonders: If the US can offer FRA waivers, why can't Canada? Bombardier build similar, as do Siemens and others.

And the GDP is in decline for manufacturing here, as is productivity and innovation. I'm just so shocked...
[...]
Citadis trams design and features
Citadis comes with 70% and 100% low-floor versions. The length can be extended from a coupled two-car to a maximum of seven-car sections.

Around 80% of the components are standardised while the exterior and interior can be modified as desired by the operator.

"Citadis is manufactured at Alstom's plants in La Rochelle in France and Barcelona in Spain."
The tram is available in 20, 30 and 40m lengths. The width varies from 2.3m to 2.65m. Depending on the number of sections, the tram can carry between 220 to 500 passengers each trip.

The bogies, sub-systems and traction are standardised technical components. Ergonomically designed seats and on-board surveillance and information system also form part of the basic features.

Two shock absorbers are installed in the front-end of the cab to protect the driver in case of accidents. The other common safety feature is the detector that monitors the driver's movements.

If the detector does not sense any movements in the driver's cabin or does not receive any response, the tram automatically comes to a halt.

Variations of Citadis' tram family
The Citadis family comprises of more than seven versions.

The Citadis 100, 301 and 401 types are the partial low-floor trams running in Poland, Orléans and Montpellier.

Citadis 301 and 401 run in Dublin as well. The length of the trams used in each of these cities is, however, different.

Citadis 202 is a designated C class and 100% low-floor tram operating in Melbourne, Australia. It is just 33cm above ground level and runs in two sections.

It is customised and has an integrated brake control with a sensor system that needs to be pressed every 30 seconds. If the action is not performed, then the tram comes to a halt.

Citadis 302 is the standard type and is mostly operated as a five-car section. Citadis 402 is a seven section tram running in Bordeaux, Dublin, Grenoble, Paris and Dublin. Citadis 403 has a modified end bogie specifically designed for the city of Strasbourg in France.

Citadis X-04 is a 100% low-floor, three-car tram. It is designed for central and east European cities, and is manufactured at Alstom's Konstal plant in Istanbul.

Citadis was introduced as Regio-Citadis in Germany. It is built on a tram-train concept which allows the trams to run even on rail-tracks. Regio-Citadis has a dual power engine that can run on both diesel and 600v DC. A hybrid version of Regio-Citadis operates on non-electrified lines too.

Citadis-Dualis is a variant of Regio-Citadis. It is designed to run at a top speed of 100km/h. It has more spacious interiors with modern designs and layout.
[...]
http://www.railway-technology.com/projects/citadis-trams/

Last edited:
Here's more detail, and this is not just indicative of Alstom, it's indicative of what technology now offers from a number of manufacturers:
[...]
Competitors to the Citadis include Bombardier Transportation's Flexity family, Siemens's Combino, Avenio, S70/Avanto trams and LRVs, CAF's Urbos, Škoda ForCity and other Škoda tramcars, AnsaldoBreda Sirio, TMK 2200 from Crotram and Kinki Sharyo LRVs.
[...]
Citadis types

The Citadis family includes both partial and fully low-floor trams and LRVs, in versions with three (20x), five (30x), seven (40x), and nine (50x) sections. It comprises the following standard variants:

Articulated models
Specialty models
  • Regio-Citadis – three sections, 70% low floor tram-train (Kassel, The Hague, Salzgitter)
  • Citadis Dualis – 42 m (137 ft 91⁄2 in) or 52 m (170 ft 71⁄4 in) long, 100% low-floor tram-train (operated by the SNCF,[4] see below)
  • Citadis Compact – 22 m (72 ft 21⁄8 in) long, 100% low floor (Aubagne, Avignon)[5]
  • Citadis Spirit – 100% low floor LRV designed for the North American market (Ottawa)[6]
Tram-trains
The “Regio-Citadis” variant is designed for tram-train operation, with trams running on mainline railway tracks; it is used on RegioTram Kassel and RandstadRail in and around The Hague. This train type can be built as a dual-voltage or electro-diesel vehicle with various configurations (diesel / 600 V DC, 600 V DC / 15 kV 162⁄3 Hz or 600 V DC / Bioenergy / diesel).

The Regio-Citadis model has now been superseded by "Citadis-Dualis", redesigned to operate on the same lines as regional trains (on the TER (Transport express régional) network in France) at up to 100 km/h (62 mph), compared to 70 km/h (43 mph) for the standard Citadis tram), and for stop spacings ranging from 0.5 to 5 km (0.31 to 3.11 mi). A total of 31 sets have been ordered (plus 169 on option[7]) by the SNCF at an average cost of 3.2 million per train set (about $4.94 million or £2.5 million).[8]
[...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alstom_Citadis

For use over a segregated right-of-way the longer articulated light rail vehicles, like the double-link LRV, would be most useful. Not possible for Toronto's downtown streetcars, because the 400+ people on board them will still have to wait for the left turning single occupant motor vehicle. (Sarcastic.)

For use over a segregated right-of-way the longer articulated light rail vehicles, like the double-link LRV, would be most useful. Not possible for Toronto's downtown streetcars, because the 400+ people on board them will still have to wait for the left turning single occupant motor vehicle. (Sarcastic.)
lol...What keeps resonating with me is "RER". To many of those in the GTHA, that seems at odds with the 'heaviness' GO rail is all about. And perhaps it's too easy for some of us to romanticize GO adopting European practices (not to mention California and other jurisdictions with FRA waivers)....except:
Alstom’s Citadis Spirit begins train dynamic testing in Ottawa
05/12/2016
20161205---Ottawa-testing---800x320.jpg

Alstom’s Citadis Spirit, a 100% low-floor light rail vehicle designed for North America, began dynamic testing on the O-Train Confederation Line in Ottawa, Ontario. Witnessing the train’s first tests were David McGuinty, Member of Parliament for Ottawa South, on behalf of the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, the Honourable Steven Del Duca, Provincial Minister of Transportation and Member of Provincial Parliament for Vaughan, City of Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson, and Angelo Guercioni, Managing Director for Alstom in Canada, as well as other dignitaries. Ottawa’s future light rail vehicles will be tested both at the Belfast Yard Storage and Maintenance Facility (Belfast Yard), as well as along four (4) km of test track.

During this phase of the project, the trains will undergo various tests, including dynamic testing at speeds of 80 km/h, and even up to 100 km/h. The dynamic tests that will take place on the test track will focus on traction and braking performance, train behaviour, as well as the comfort and performance of the bogies. Static testing will take place at Belfast Yard and will validate function performance, including HVAC, doors, lighting, passenger information and on board data systems. This phase of testing will run through to the end of March 2017, during which more than 50 test procedures will be completed. Upon completion of this first series of tests, more than a dozen tests will be conducted on a multiple unit train, i.e. two trains coupled together.

The commencement of dynamic testing marks the first 100% low floor vehicle to enter validation testing in Ontario and brings the Citadis Spirit one step closer to the start of commercial service in the City of Ottawa. This rigorous testing of the trains will ensure smooth and safe operation for both the operators and passengers alike,” said Angelo Guercioni, Managing Director for Alstom in Canada.

Alstom is supplying 34 Citadis Spirit light rail vehicles for the O-Train Confederation Line, and will maintain both the vehicles and the line’s infrastructure for a period of 30 years. This first phase of the O-Train Confederation Line comprises 13 stations along a 12.5-kilometre route, with 10 kilometres running at ground level and 2.5 kilometres underground. The O-Train Confederation Line is expected to begin full revenue service in 2018.

Thanks to its modular design, the Citadis Spirit provides for a very flexible manufacturing process. The Citadis Spirit is being assembled by a local workforce at Belfast Yard, creating over 100 jobs in the Ottawa area, with the support of an established supply chain of over 60 Canadian suppliers to meet the 25% Canadian content requirement. In addition to vehicle assembly in the Ottawa area, the Alstom manufacturing facility in Sorel-Tracy, Quebec is assembling the bogies for the Citadis Spirit.

The Citadis Spirit is based on Alstom’s Citadis range of light rail vehicles and builds upon the experience of more than 2,300 Citadis sold to 55 cities around the world. Customised for the needs of the North American market, including operation in temperatures as low as -38°C, the Citadis Spirit’s 100% low floor design offers easy accessibility from the street or the curb, and an interior layout that provides a safer and more enjoyable experience. Thanks to its modularity and full low floor, the vehicle can provide both light rail service, including urban service in cities running at grade and in mixed traffic, and suburban service on segregated rail infrastructure at speeds up to 100 km/h. The vehicle’s highly customizable exterior and interior styling options reflect cities’ unique identities, complimenting the urban environment with seamless integration.
http://www.alstom.com/press-centre/...pirit-begins-train-dynamic-testing-in-ottawa/

If it works in Ottawa....why not here? Perhaps it's a language barrier? Here's a thought: Bramalea to Union to start.

Last edited:
As noted in the comments to the Seattle article, if the OMSF bays and storage tracks are not provisioned from day one to accommodate future extension of the vehicles, that will deployed as a reason not to expand them. Metrolinx made a decision to go with 3x30m rather than 2x40+m for Crosstown. I don't recall Metrolinx publishing a specific rationale for that choice, but perhaps they did. Hopefully it wasn't based on that being the tram size BBD most wanted to build, given the screwed up tendering process where the uptown cars were deemed to be options from the significantly different downtown order.

As noted in the comments to the Seattle article, if the OMSF bays and storage tracks are not provisioned from day one to accommodate future extension of the vehicles, that will deployed as a reason not to expand them. Metrolinx made a decision to go with 3x30m rather than 2x40+m for Crosstown. I don't recall Metrolinx publishing a specific rationale for that choice, but perhaps they did. Hopefully it wasn't based on that being the tram size BBD most wanted to build, given the screwed up tendering process where the uptown cars were deemed to be options from the significantly different downtown order.
Metrolink had nothing to do with the tendering process they just bought what would have been the Transit City cars off of the TTC. I would guess they decided to go with the length they did because it would be the same as the existing network by the time it they were needed and the maintenance staff would be easily interchangeable between all of the car houses as they are now.

Edmonton was able to get cars with 7 sections versus 5 sections for Metrolinx, making me think there was a reason for Metrolinx ordering the way they did.
original

Note Metrolinx has no experience with trams and light rail. TTC has been studying them for a long time since they want them replaced. The Crosstown was a TTC thing till Queen's Park announced they'll pay for it with Metrolinx taking over the project. Metrolinx place the order with details from the TTC. At that time 30m cars the longest in North America. Ottawa didn't order theirs till 2013 which was picked by Alstom themselves. Bombardier picked the 7 car design themselves too for Edmonton. Had a consortium actually pick the length for the crosstown, maybe they would be longer.

Aren't the Crosstown LRT platforms 90 meters long, permitting 3 LRV consists? This will later allow a pair of 45 meter instead of three 30 meter LRVs. The used 30 meter LRVs can go to other LRT projects, as the 45 meter LRVs get delivered in a future cycle. Hamilton will need to expand their LRT fleet by 2041 when our city begins double-consist and 4-minute peak operations.

2018 will bring two LRT systems online (Ottawa and Kitchener-Waterloo), which will undoubtedly help Metrolinx plan/finish their LRT systems, all of which are coming online during the 2020s.

Interestingly, most of the systems are smaller and simpler than the Crosstown LRT, so ironically, the most complex Metrolinx LRT project is the one already under construction.

Last edited:
Aren't the Crosstown LRT platforms 90 meters long, permitting 3 LRV consists? This will later allow a pair of 45 meter instead of three 30 meter LRVs. The used 30 meter LRVs can go to other LRT projects, as the 45 meter LRVs get delivered in a future cycle. Hamilton will need to expand their LRT fleet by 2041 when our city begins double-consist and 4-minute peak operations.

2018 will bring two LRT systems online (Ottawa and Kitchener-Waterloo), which will undoubtedly help Metrolinx plan/finish their LRT systems, all of which are coming online during the 2020s.

Interestingly, most of the systems are smaller and simpler than the Crosstown LRT, so ironically, the most complex Metrolinx LRT project is the one already under construction.
The carhouse isn't designed for 45m LRVs.

The initial plan was to have 2x30m LRV trains operate on Eglinton. Finch and Sheppard was designed for 2x30m LRV trains too. The SRT replacement was designed for 4x30m trains. 45m LRVs don't fit in with the transit city plans. 45m is too short for Finch and 90m is too long.

Dublin was able to figure out how to run 40m trams on one line and 30m on the other, until ridership justified the upgrade. While it might have been convenient to plan Crosstown along with other lines (some of which not connected to Crosstown even in non-revenue trackage) in "blocks" of 30m trams, I don't think it necessarily *needed* to be so.

Sorry, this might not exactly fit with this thread, but as it is discussing Flexity Freedoms I thought I'd post anyways. Was looking at Los Angles' streetcar project and noticed that their renderings included Bombardier Flexity Freedoms, however in a 3-unit variant. I was wondering if anyone knew if Bombardier had an order from LA (I couldn't find anything online) or if this is just a placeholder? Also the renderings are interesting as they show what our future cars would look like if they were shorter (which I'm glad they're not).

la-me-california-commute-20150623

streetcar.0.jpg

Streetcar-Splash1-1280x600.png

Sorry, this might not exactly fit with this thread, but as it is discussing Flexity Freedoms I thought I'd post anyways. Was looking at Los Angles' streetcar project and noticed that their renderings included Bombardier Flexity Freedoms, however in a 3-unit variant. I was wondering if anyone knew if Bombardier had an order from LA (I couldn't find anything online) or if this is just a placeholder? Also the renderings are interesting as they show what our future cars would look like if they were shorter (which I'm glad they're not).

According to the LA Streetcar website (http://streetcar.la), the vehicle procurement process won't start until mid-2017, so I'm guessing it's just a placeholder. I'm now wondering if the Flexity Freedom 3d files are available somewhere for public download.

If you haven't seen it, here's the Flexity Freedom brochure from 2011 that describes the variants, such as the 20 m three-section model.

Attachments

• Bombardier Flexity Freedom Brochure 2011.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,692

Back