News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 563     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 854     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

How many cars does a TGV train have, Nfitz?

Many seem to have 10 carriages. Despite sharing a bogie (was that called a Jacob Bogie?), they are fully independent and may be re-arranged or even run individually though 10 individual carriages will require additional bogies. Carriages (car is the short form) has 4 wheels and moves which despite the shared bogie the TGV has many 4 wheeled cars; wheels are attached in a shared manner but they each get 4.

Flexity modules have somewhat less self-sufficiency as an individual component.

Last edited:
How many cars does a TGV train have, Nfitz?
It depends on a number of things and all are not the same length. What do you call it when there are 3 trains making up one train that can have 21 cars on it using a 9 car, 5 car and 7 car train??

This applies to other train systems that vary from 5 to 11 cars that I have seen. As for trams, as noted they are modules and range from 2 to 9 sections or 31m to 56m long.

Sounds good. I'm hoping to get photos of the first train as it is being delivered to Waterloo region!

So I'm standing at Bombardier's Millhaven testing facility, watching crews erect OCS catenary on the high-speed test track they built for Toronto's TR MOVIA sets... And can also see a monorail on the beam, and they're also shunting Kuala Lumpur ALRT MK 3 sets around on the LIM test track!

Pics a bit later.

So I'm standing at Bombardier's Millhaven testing facility, watching crews erect OCS catenary on the high-speed test track they built for Toronto's TR MOVIA sets... And can also see a monorail on the beam, and they're also shunting Kuala Lumpur ALRT MK 3 sets around on the LIM test track!

Pics a bit later.

I'm surprised they're regauging the straight track and not using the ICTS track for LRT vehicle testing, but interesting either way.

It looks like they have 3 rails on the L-shaped "TR" test track. Probably standard gauge then Toronto gauge.

Here are some photos from Bombardier's Millhaven test facility!

IMG_6322 (Large).JPG

Here's the Western end of the "L" shaped "TR/Movia" test track. Crews were busy installing OCS/Catenary poles, presumably for FLEXITY Freedom high-speed testing!

IMG_6326 (Large).JPG
Here's the Southern end of the Monorail test track, with the OCS/Catenary poles being constructed in the background for the TR/Movia test track.

IMG_6330 (Large).JPG
ICTS/ALRT Test Loop and control tower, with a Kuala Lumpur MK III train being towed out of the shops.

IMG_6331 (Large).JPG
Another MK III vehicle destined for Kuala Lumpur.

IMG_6334 (Large).JPG

Out back, unfortunately it looks like vandals got to the prototype MK III train. The ICTS/ALRT test loop guideway is in the background.

Attachments

• IMG_6322 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6322 (Large).JPG
    358.9 KB · Views: 1,426
  • IMG_6326 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6326 (Large).JPG
    351.2 KB · Views: 1,468
  • IMG_6330 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6330 (Large).JPG
    441.3 KB · Views: 1,906
  • IMG_6331 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6331 (Large).JPG
    357.3 KB · Views: 1,529
  • IMG_6334 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6334 (Large).JPG
    371.2 KB · Views: 1,493
It looks like they have 3 rails on the L-shaped "TR" test track. Probably standard gauge then Toronto gauge.

Can't do it that way. The difference in gauge is only 2 inches - a little bit more than the width of the wheel flange. It could still be Toronto gauge - or standard gauge, for that matter - but the other would have to be something with a bit more difference in gauge.

Dan
Toronto, Ont

Ah, okay - it might have been the third-rail power supply I was seeing (lots of snow and wasn't really looking at the rails - I was looking up!). I seem to recall reading at some point they can physically move one of the rails to "regauge" the whole test track.

Back