News   Apr 25, 2024
 361     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Delaying FWLRT by a few months wasn't political - it was because Metrolinx wanted to make LRVs part of the tender as to try to break away from Bombardier.
If they can break away from Bombardier and if they can find another manufacturer will to work with them. I think if any of them have any sense they are watching what is going on and may just back off because they don't want to end up in the same mess as Metrolinx is just proving they don't know what they are doing, when they mess up and want someone else to take the blame.

This is going to be built. RFP will close in the fall, with construction early 2018. No matter the election results, this will be beyond the "point of no return".

The good thing about the AFP / P3 process is that it makes it very difficult for new governments to cancel the contracts (that is, so expensive to cancel that it makes no sense).

Can the same be said for the Hamilton LRT?

Hamilton is going to be closer. The RFP iirc isn't scheduled to close until summer 2018. If anything happens that delays that, you are in trouble.

Of course whoever wins the election would have to move damn quickly to cut it post election if it does get delayed.

The Hurontario LRT should be fine though.

^I dont want to sway things too much off-topic, but with Hamilton the politicians there are completely willing to drag things out as long as possible with the LRT so it wouldnt surprise me at all that it would be cancelled if the PCs are brought into power.

From the Finch West LRT Extension Business Case Analysis Executive Summary, at this link, this paragraph from the summary report caught my eye:

Air travellers at Pearson Airport using transit to access the airport are also excluded from the ridership model (given they currently form a very low proportion). Given the modest number of air travellers originating from the Finch corridor and the low transit share, even with LRT, such travellers are not expected to have a material impact on the case for the LRT extension.​
Guess the number of people using UPX and the 192 Airport Rocket (which serves the southern half of Toronto) wasn't taken into consideration for the northern half of Toronto.

This is the same drivel that comes from all planning reports. Experts study and then form an opinion. At the end of the day. It's still an opinion. Recently the Globe interviewed a pair of retired TTC (I believe) managers. Their words made more sense than all the planning drivel I have read. But at the end, the kicker of their words was that no planner is ever around to take responsibility for what was written so virtually anything can and does get written.

From the Finch West LRT Extension Business Case Analysis Executive Summary, at this link, this paragraph from the summary report caught my eye:

Air travellers at Pearson Airport using transit to access the airport are also excluded from the ridership model (given they currently form a very low proportion). Given the modest number of air travellers originating from the Finch corridor and the low transit share, even with LRT, such travellers are not expected to have a material impact on the case for the LRT extension.​
Guess the number of people using UPX and the 192 Airport Rocket (which serves the southern half of Toronto) wasn't taken into consideration for the northern half of Toronto.
UPX is kind of in an odd spot as a lot of the ridership is now from poel from the mid point sations rather then from the airport if you actually ride it to the airport it's mostly empty after Weston station. As for the 12 Airport Rocket it's mostly staff commuting with a few passengers using it as well, it's not as convenient as the TTC makes it out to be, but it's still more convenient than the express bus to the Toronto Zoo was from Scarborough Town Centre.

UPX is kind of in an odd spot as a lot of the ridership is now from poel from the mid point sations rather then from the airport if you actually ride it to the airport it's mostly empty after Weston station.
You sure? I landed at Pearson about 4:00 PM on a Wednesday a few weeks ago. I was quite surprised in how full the airport train was - every pair of seats seemed to have 1-2 people in, until I got right to the back of the second (last) car - and at that point, as there was 4 of us, I think they all did.

The train left Pearson about 5 PM; some people came on at Weston and Bloor, but not as many as I'd have thought. No one standing. I suppose there are some peak runs inbound in the AM and outbound in the PM that might be dominated by commuters - but I don't think it's the norm. There was certainly a crowd waiting when we arrived at Pearson.

Personally, I think there should be higher fares for the Union-Pearson for times when taking GO is an option.

UPX is kind of in an odd spot as a lot of the ridership is now from poel from the mid point sations rather then from the airport if you actually ride it to the airport it's mostly empty after Weston station. As for the 12 Airport Rocket it's mostly staff commuting with a few passengers using it as well, it's not as convenient as the TTC makes it out to be, but it's still more convenient than the express bus to the Toronto Zoo was from Scarborough Town Centre.
Airport peak time is different than commuter rush hour time. It depends on the time of the day. Unless ML releases ridership during different times of the day, it's hard to say if people are using UPX or not. I highly doubt this will happen as it will show 5-10 riders on certain periods that will lead to a massive media backlash. 5-6pm is definitely a peak for both commuters and the airport. They have lineups at Union at those times where they'll check fares before boarding.

Great shot tweeted out here of the utility relocation. While it's not track construction it is still nice to see. Hopefully the project survives the next provincial election.
2r0bp4E

This is my interpretation of the Finch LRT in all phases extended to the Finch subway station in North York Centre and to Pearson.
It's three different files into one, so that's why it is irregular shape lol.
1pvzub.png

It'll need to serve the announced Woodbine racetrack land development

Back