News   Mar 28, 2024
 609     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 438     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 768     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

but it now means even if theyre going for sheppard subway extension they will now have to find another 330m plus a few billion more......

No, if they move to Sheppard:
  • They have to do the EA, design and engineering and get the project shovel ready
  • Once shovel ready, they can submit it to the new Federal government infrastructure program to get 50% of the capital cost covered by Ottawa, leaving the balance to the province and the city
  • So you're looking at billions instead of $330M under the old agreement

Presumably moving it from Sheppard to Finch is just a swap, to release the Fed money sooner than later.

Right. We saw this with Toronto waterfront spending too, where the federal government requested (forcefully) that their money be spent early.

The federal government doesn't like having that liability of a contractual future spending commitment on the books. It's effectively a debt to be paid and reduces budget flexibility if a recession or something else hits.

The province, which is struggling to make their budget goals, has no issues with delaying spending.

I learned on twitter that the Harper-era "commitments" don't exist so all money would come out of new Trudeau-ear funds. This depletes total money available for other projects.

So once shovel ready, wouldn't the Scarborough subway also be eligible to the 50% Ottawa investment?

No, if they move to Sheppard:
  • They have to do the EA, design and engineering and get the project shovel ready
  • Once shovel ready, they can submit it to the new Federal government infrastructure program to get 50% of the capital cost covered by Ottawa, leaving the balance to the province and the city
  • So you're looking at billions instead of $330M under the old agreement
They already did an EA years ago.

That's true. But the EA will have to go back for review in a few years.

According to this link (Section 2.7), a review is required if 10 years have passed since the EA was completed and construction hasn't begun. If major changes in the study area have occurred since the EA, Metrolinx will need to go through an addendum process which takes almost as long as a regular EA process.

Hopefully if there are any changes, they won't be significant enough to delay the project even further.

This also opens the door even more with the LRT or subway debate for Sheppard. I hope everyone is ready for next round and the ongoing saga.

This also opens the door even more with the LRT or subway debate for Sheppard. I hope everyone is ready for next round and the ongoing saga.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I'm hoping the debate over new revenue tools will bust this open. When it becomes apparent that we can't raise enough money for all our transit 'wants' - the public may accept a few new tax measures, but not enough - people will start looking at the projects we are over-spending on, and ask "why are they getting all the money? Can their project be done for less?". At that point LRT will suddenly become very popular, as at that point it will be LRT or nothing. I expect a public backlash against the Scarborough Subway to surface eventually, although by then it may be too late.

If it sounds like Transit City deja vu - it is. The financial reality was quite evident to David Miller - his demise was not pushing the money perspective enough. Ford got away with "subways, subways, subways" because no one could pin him down on how to fund them.

- Paul

How is this necessary and consistent with a project that is "fully funded"? Puts paid to all that claptrap about fully funded Transit City LRTs. Otherwise fine.

My jaw is on the floor about the funding though.

It's $25 Million for auxiliary work related to the FWLRT. It's doesn't mean that the City didn't have the funds available, but rather that the federal contribution means that the City can use the $25 Million for other things.

It's $25 Million for auxiliary work related to the FWLRT. It's doesn't mean that the City didn't have the funds available, but rather that the federal contribution means that the City can use the $25 Million for other things.

This is a good day. No need to take away from that.

Between the armchair professionals and the architects and engineers here, this is a precise and wise crowd at Urbantoronto.

Either you are sick, or you are well.
Either you are alive or you are dead.
Either you are pregnant or you are not.

There is no middle ground on any of these.

Likewise, either something is fully funded or it is not.

And if it is, then I am assuming they planned and funded moving the sewer already. Thanks Dalton and Kathleen.

Justin, no need to get involved here on FWLRT. There is a whole subway waiting for 6 or 8 billion dollars. Kathleen has left that one open.

Back