News   Apr 24, 2024
 885     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 602     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I still wish this was going to the airport. We need a local connection that does not $ 17 a ride

We have one already.

Actually, we have several.

Isn't it going to be the typical red and white TTC look?

Nope. The paint scheme hasn't been finalized as yet, but apparently it won't be far from the graphics that they've been giving us so far.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Nope. The paint scheme hasn't been finalized as yet, but apparently it won't be far from the graphics that they've been giving us so far.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I'm happy that a subway/LRT project is far enough along that we can debate the paint scheme. From the graphics on the construction hoarding and all the promotional materials (plus the fact that the contracts have a requirement for a consistent branding) I'm pretty sure that they're going to go with the green colour scheme for the Eglinton Crosstown. It's kind of like how when the province gifted the SRT they gave it a special blue branding. And the UPX gets its own branding. Really, the province enjoys logos and branding things.

What I'm really more curious about is if there will be platform screen doors for the underground section, given that Metrolinx has stated that it will be operating on ATC in that section.

It's kind of like how when the province gifted the SRT they gave it a special blue branding. And the UPX gets its own branding. Really, the province enjoys logos and branding things.

They're better at it than the TTC, however I would rather have some consistency. It would be fine if it was just a colour variation but UPX, SRT, TTC, GO and now Eglinton all have wildly different liveries when we should be working towards integrating them into one coherent system in both operation, fares and even something as seemingly minor as livery.

I'm happy that a subway/LRT project is far enough along that we can debate the paint scheme. From the graphics on the construction hoarding and all the promotional materials (plus the fact that the contracts have a requirement for a consistent branding) I'm pretty sure that they're going to go with the green colour scheme for the Eglinton Crosstown. It's kind of like how when the province gifted the SRT they gave it a special blue branding. And the UPX gets its own branding. Really, the province enjoys logos and branding things.

What I'm really more curious about is if there will be platform screen doors for the underground section, given that Metrolinx has stated that it will be operating on ATC in that section.

Do you have any pictures of the blue SRT branding? All the photos I've seen have shown the current livery.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/07/a_brief_history_of_the_scarborough_rt/

Would be nice to see/hear about the station designs soon.

I'm not sure if I'm recalling this correctly, but wasn't there an issue in like Ford's first month where there was a tender called for Crosstown station art (or design?). And due to the administration's demands for fiscal (ir)responsibility, the tender was canceled?

I would've assumed that it's far too early for Metrolinx to decide on colour schemes and therefore the green vehicle renderings are just green because that's Metrolinx's colour.

I sent the video to a friend and the livery issues immediately became apparent. Conversation wen't something like:

Him: It's cool, but this has a different fare than the rest of the TTC?
Me: No it's a TTC line.
Him: But the trains aren't red.
Me: Yeah, but they're run by the TTC. The fare is the same.
Him: So I can transfer to and from this with my Metropass?
Me: Yes.
Him: Oh, so does this mean that I can use my Metropass on YRT and GO now?
Me: No. Those are different systems.
Him: But their colours aren't red either.
Me: I know I know. You just gotta remember that Eglinton, Finch and Sheppard are TTC fares.
Him: Oh, so it's more than just Eglinton with screwed up colours? How the hell are people supposed to know they're different systems when they have the colours all mixed up?
Me: Just gotta know I guess.
Him: So it's just Eglinton, Finch and Sheppard for now?
Me: For now.
Him: Whoever did this is an idiot.

Seems overly exaggerated. Both Brampton and Mississauga use different colour buses for different parts of the fleet, with no issues.

Was your friend confused when the streetcars used to be maroon while the buses were red? Does he have problems in Scarborough with the blue RT trains? Was he confused when some of our subway trains were red, and some were silver?

I would've assumed that it's far too early for Metrolinx to decide on colour schemes and therefore the green vehicle renderings are just green because that's Metrolinx's colour.

Nope, actually that's something that doesn't require a contract or building anything...picking colors is as simple as picking colors...no need to wait until the whole line is done before picking the color scheme...they don't even have to wait for the first brochure to be done...or the first 3d video...in fact the color scheme could be picked even before the line was designed or route chosen....

Some would even suggest that the color scheme for Toronto routes was chosen a long time ago...and it was red...and the majority of color scheme decisions since that point were also red...there have been a few times when the government of Ontario has tried to change the color scheme to green or puke green...why they did this is mainly to mark their own territory - not to provide a consistent system or help people from outside of the city understand the system...sometimes even the TTC has chosen to pick weird colors (like blue) - even after the color scheme was for a long time red for no logical reason....this shouldn't prevent anyone though from picking a color scheme early in a process so that everyone stays on the same page...and we don't end up with a line with green vehicles, red stations, and yellow signs...

Design is important...it should be done early...and it should be stuck to...militarily if need be...Steve Jobs was notorious for going into factories and not being happy with the colors of the walls in the factory and having them redo it...why...because design matters...

Seems overly exaggerated. Both Brampton and Mississauga use different colour buses for different parts of the fleet, with no issues.

Was your friend confused when the streetcars used to be maroon while the buses were red? Does he have problems in Scarborough with the blue RT trains? Was he confused when some of our subway trains were red, and some were silver?

He may be an idiot.

I think part of the confusion was the complete lack of any TTC branding.

Back