News   Apr 23, 2024
 228     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 981     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 300     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

I assumed that since ML put it out it was a comparison of the versions that they have contracted to buy from the two suppliers though.

It was a comparison of those particular versions, sure. But that's by no means that only versions available.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It was a comparison of those particular versions, sure. But that's by no means that only versions available.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
when I posted it I, honestly, thought that the poster was looking for a comparison of the units purchased....and since I had just seen that table on twitter I pasted it in here....if they were looking for a comparison of all the various versions...then I apologize for misunderstanding.

when I posted it I, honestly, thought that the poster was looking for a comparison of the units purchased....and since I had just seen that table on twitter I pasted it in here....if they were looking for a comparison of all the various versions...then I apologize for misunderstanding.

I don't think that it's really a misunderstanding, and an apology isn't required. Think of this more as a clarification, or maybe rather an expansion.

Way too many people get caught up in seeing what has just arrived, or offered, and don't realize that this is just one particular set of values that are available. For instance, the Alstom Citadis that Metrolinx is purchasing is capable of running at 100km/h. That's this particular version - more are limited to 75km/h. And both Bombardier and Siemens offer competing products that are also capable of those same speeds, even though the version that we happened to purchase isn't.

So while a comparison of what two types of LRT is useful and welcome, it's also prudent to be aware that they are by no means a be-all, end-all either.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I don't think that it's really a misunderstanding, and an apology isn't required. Think of this more as a clarification, or maybe rather an expansion.

Way too many people get caught up in seeing what has just arrived, or offered, and don't realize that this is just one particular set of values that are available. For instance, the Alstom Citadis that Metrolinx is purchasing is capable of running at 100km/h. That's this particular version - more are limited to 75km/h. And both Bombardier and Siemens offer competing products that are also capable of those same speeds, even though the version that we happened to purchase isn't.

So while a comparison of what two types of LRT is useful and welcome, it's also prudent to be aware that they are by no means a be-all, end-all either.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
It is an interesting point....when I read that table that I subsequently posted here my first thought was "wow, they are bigger, faster and the cost per passenger is lower..........why'd they not get purchased in the first place"......

....what you seem to pointing out (I think) is that it is a bit of a false comparison because BBD could have matched (or got closer to) those results if ML had ordered different a different variant at the onset.

That, kinda, suggests that the ML politicking continues....that they not only went to Alstom and said "we need a back up plan/vehicle" we need one to look good on paper/twitter.

The comparison that matters more is Citadis Spirit vs the original ML tender spec. In other words, did ML do its diligence to be certain that this product will meet their needs as well, or better, than the Flexity.

Buying the model that is currently in production in Ontario sounds sensible, as there will be expertise close at hand should problems arise. However, we don't know yet what tradeoffs ML may have accepted versus its original design.

The fact that so many flavours are available is a good thing, in the sense that (in a perfect world) the flavour selected is the best one for the job. But that depends on whether ML did a prudent comparison, versus just asking "what do you have in stock?".

When one is buying an automobile, the car on the lot that the dealer wants to flog is seldom the one that one really wants.

- Paul

It is an interesting point....when I read that table that I subsequently posted here my first thought was "wow, they are bigger, faster and the cost per passenger is lower..........why'd they not get purchased in the first place"......

....what you seem to pointing out (I think) is that it is a bit of a false comparison because BBD could have matched (or got closer to) those results if ML had ordered different a different variant at the onset.

That, kinda, suggests that the ML politicking continues....that they not only went to Alstom and said "we need a back up plan/vehicle" we need one to look good on paper/twitter.

You've got it. The 100 foot length of the Flexity Freedoms is what was originally envisioned as a good building block length for all of the lines. Low ridership during the evenings or weekends? Run one car. Busy during the rush hours? Run two cars. Ridership growth over the years? Time for a third car.

The Citadis Spirits at almost 150 feet make it much harder to build up trains of appropriate lengths for the various lines, not to mention all of the changes that will be necessary to the maintenance facilities to handle them. Hell, I've been talking with a friend at TTC's Planning Department, and they haven't even seen any data about whether the Alstom cars will fit in the tunnels of the Crosstown. (He's really not concerned that they won't - it's more that they had to go through weeks and weeks of design process to ensure that the Bombardier cars would, and that hasn't happened yet with the new cars.)

There is a very serious reek of desperation coming from Metrolinx's headquarters right now...

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

“Bombardier is right now producing vehicles for the Region of Waterloo that are identical to those that will be used on the Eglinton Crosstown. All 14 of those vehicles will be delivered to Waterloo by the end of the year.”

That's a year late — assuming no further delays — which has postponed the opening of the line. Funny they forgot to mention that.
The delays seem to mainly because of Metrolinx as it seem that Bomber struck a deal with Water loo to deliver them outside of the Metrolinx order.

Hell, I've been talking with a friend at TTC's Planning Department, and they haven't even seen any data about whether the Alstom cars will fit in the tunnels of the Crosstown. (He's really not concerned that they won't - it's more that they had to go through weeks and weeks of design process to ensure that the Bombardier cars would, and that hasn't happened yet with the new cars.)

There is a very serious reek of desperation coming from Metrolinx's headquarters right now...
Which is why Metrolinx has no business doing this if they don't know what they are doing.

Fun news regarding Bombardier:

AMT (Agence Métropolitaine de transport) gave the contract to a Chinese company, China Railway Rolling Stock Corporation, instead of Bombardier for commuter trains.

https://www.lesaffaires.com/bourse/...bombardier-echappe-le-contrat-de-l-amt/594936

Bombardier reaction? Humility? Nope, try anger lol!!!

https://www.lesaffaires.com/bourse/...ontrat-a-la-chine-bombardier-en-colere/594943

Here's some background to BBD hoisting themselves on their own petard:
[...]
Bombardier, the sole bidder for the project when the call for tenders was put out in December 2015, told the AMT it was unable to provide the cars within the AMT’s 24-month deadline.
[...]
http://globalnews.ca/news/2705983/m...ancels-double-decker-commuter-train-contract/

See also:
http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/amt-quietly-dumps-order-for-bombardier-trains-1.2905849

Almost a year ago to the day...

You've got it. The 100 foot length of the Flexity Freedoms is what was originally envisioned as a good building block length for all of the lines. Low ridership during the evenings or weekends? Run one car. Busy during the rush hours? Run two cars. Ridership growth over the years? Time for a third car.

The Citadis Spirits at almost 150 feet make it much harder to build up trains of appropriate lengths for the various lines, not to mention all of the changes that will be necessary to the maintenance facilities to handle them. Hell, I've been talking with a friend at TTC's Planning Department, and they haven't even seen any data about whether the Alstom cars will fit in the tunnels of the Crosstown. (He's really not concerned that they won't - it's more that they had to go through weeks and weeks of design process to ensure that the Bombardier cars would, and that hasn't happened yet with the new cars.)

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
I don't think their length is that concerning for the Crosstown. Large vehicles mean wider headway with the TTC. They do it with their artic buses, ALRVs and Flexity cars. For a small system like The ION, Hamilton B-Line and maybe Hurontario on weekends, they'll have a lot of trouble with larger vehicles. They'll going to be too unoccupied and they can't stretch the headways wider without making the line very unattractive.

Today on Eglinton from Keele to Laird, they run at least 2-3 buses every 10 minutes at all regular service hours or 80-120 riders. A train with just one Alstom LRV @ 10 minutes during late night would provide the same seating capacity. It's just east of Don Mills, the line would be over service if it does not attract any new riders nor does it divert any riders from Line 2.

iON Phase II, Eglinton East, Eglinton West, O-Train Phase II. Don't think there will be any shortage of projects for these vehicles to be shifted to.
iON Phase II won't take any Alstom trains. Phase I platforms are already built to Flexity Freedom specifications. the ION system can absorb some of the excess Flexity Freedoms through system growth when needed (first projected service growth is for 2021).

I don't think their length is that concerning for the Crosstown. Large vehicles mean wider headway with the TTC. They do it with their artic buses, ALRVs and Flexity cars. For a small system like The ION, Hamilton B-Line and maybe Hurontario on weekends, they'll have a lot of trouble with larger vehicles. They'll going to be too unoccupied and they can't stretch the headways wider without making the line very unattractive.

The length is absolutely concerning. And not just from the obvious standpoint of the dynamic loading gauge of the vehicles in the tunnels - the maintenance facilities may have to be redesigned to allow for a longer vehicle and their longer wheelbase. And for service too - the original service designs planned that much of the service will be provided by 2-car trains, with 1-car trains being used at night on weekends. A 2-car train of Citadis Spirits is not the same length or capacity as a 2-car train of Flexity Freedoms, and thus all of those plans that they'd come up with now need to be rethought because of the increase in size of the equipment and the corresponding decrease in fleet size.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

the maintenance facilities may have to be redesigned to allow for a longer vehicle and their longer wheelbase.

Absolutely. The OMSF for Ion is purpose built to the Flexities, with in-floor jacks matching their bogie spacing and hard-points to permit a fast bogie swap for maintenance. I believe it was similar with the spacing of equipment in the re-sanding facility. To handle both a Flexity and Citadis would take either a more complicated OMSF design, or a larger one with parallel train-specific sections. Either way the costs go up. At least none of the other OMSFs have started construction yet...

Absolutely. The OMSF for Ion is purpose built to the Flexities, with in-floor jacks matching their bogie spacing and hard-points to permit a fast bogie swap for maintenance. I believe it was similar with the spacing of equipment in the re-sanding facility. To handle both a Flexity and Citadis would take either a more complicated OMSF design, or a larger one with parallel train-specific sections. Either way the costs go up. At least none of the other OMSFs have started construction yet...
The one question I have, will ION curves be able to handle Citadis cars in the first place? The OMSF will be an issue for ION at this time for Citadis cars. Only need one car from day one until ridership grows to the point you need the 2nd car.

As people say, Metrolinx has no tracks to store cars on, let alone test them, it possible to ship one Citadis car to ION for testing in the rail corridor, but maintenance and changes to the car will/could be an issue.

If a plant is to be built in the Toronto area, Metrolinx Obico lands would be a good site as it has access to Metrolinx track as well storage tracks in the Canpa Sub . To move the cars from the plant to the Crosstown Yard, you build a special coupler on both ends of an locomotive to allow the loco to do run around to deal with change of direction at Bathurst and Crosstown yard. This allow 2-4 cars to be move at night from the plant to the yard or what every X cars will be move at a time.

Anyway, nice to hear the news after getting home from my shorten holiday and confirms what I was told a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Back