• Senlac
  • Bathurst Manor (Name of the area)
  • Faywood
  • Sheppard West
Still think that by 2041 we could see discussions arise for

West

• Keele & Wilson
  • Jane & Wilson
  • Highway 400 (lots of land at Bartor & Clayson for parking to relieve traffic on the highways)
East

Still think politics will push the subway farther east
  • Consumers (LRT has to be dug anyways, might as well make it a smaller subway tunnel)
  • Victoria Park (at the very least)

You forgot to place an infill station at Willowdale, but other than that good list.

I was under the impression that locals at Willowdale didnt want a station

Population demographics change all the time. Who knows how many of those NIMBYs from circa 1995, when the subway was first being built, still even live in that neighbourhood. And it's not like transit options are even all that great in that area anyway with most people having to walk a kilometre in either direction to get to the nearest reliable transit because the 85A and 98 are so infrequent. It'd probably be looked at as a godsend by the younger, working age commuter crowd percentage of the locals to open up a new subway stop there.

With the Sheppard Line's ridership expected to drop significantly with the introduction of the Relief Line, I'm not interested in spending any more money on Sheppard Line, and certainly not to add low ridership infill stations.

Second of all, how much would adding this station cost? A normal station usually costs around $200 to $300 Million. We're probably looking at least twice that cost to add Willowdale, since it's being retrofitted in. Think of all the transit we could buy for $400 Million to $600 Million - that's half of the Crosstown West/East LRTs, maybe a kilometre or two of subway, or several dozens of LRVs that (which the TTC needs to meet an expanding network and growing demand). Willowdale is the absolute last place we should be spending that money.

I was under the impression that locals at Willowdale didnt want a station

I bet you'd get the same at Senlac. Can't build a transit system that way.

We have a lot of streets with an East or West. But few streets with a North or South. More likely to get something like Lower Jarvis or Lower Parliament.

Toronto's street network was built with Yonge as the central "spine" of the network and each (major) street that came off Yonge was given an East or West designation. As the subway was built and the Spadina line extended Northward, the W designation was as much a practice of naming the subway station after the cross street as it was a differentiation between duplicate station names.

On the N/S axis there isn't a central street as we have with Yonge. The closest we have are the Lower "X" street names where a street has been extended South of Front on the infill land, and those streets do not have subway service.

Toronto's street network was built with Yonge as the central "spine" of the network and each (major) street that came off Yonge was given an East or West designation. As the subway was built and the Spadina line extended Northward, the W designation was as much a practice of naming the subway station after the cross street as it was a differentiation between duplicate station names.

On the N/S axis there isn't a central street as we have with Yonge. The closest we have are the Lower "X" street names where a street has been extended South of Front on the infill land, and those streets do not have subway service.
Just call Bloor-Danforth the "central" E/W street as it is the first rapid transit (subway) to go E/W. I know the TTC and Metrolinx will never do this, but Bloor can keep being the "central" N/S designation, Sheppard can be North and Queen can be South (as they are both subways). Another way is to have completely unique station/stop names, where the only way to know where you are is to know your geography well, or just memorize the map/name to intersection/poi location. Having some unique station names while others are street/intersection-based is confusing to "the average GTA citizen", but IMO is the best way. Just don't have 4+ word long station names (Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station is OK and Aga Khan Park & Museum Stop is too much).

I think that's a bit backards. Queen was the baseline from which the grid system was laid.

With the Sheppard Line's ridership expected to drop significantly with the introduction of the Relief Line, I'm not interested in spending any more money on Sheppard Line, and certainly not to add low ridership infill stations...
By that logic, I guess line 5 between Don Mills and Yonge, and line 2 between Pape and Yonge will also see ridership dropped significantly.

By that logic, I guess line 5 between Don Mills and Yonge, and line 2 between Pape and Yonge will also see ridership dropped significantly.
They would - the line 2 drop has long been part of the assumption of the DRL.

And it should push the peak-point on Line 2 from west of Sherbourne, to east of Pape. However, if you look at the current ridership, Line 2 east of Pape is still overloaded at times.

On Line 5 the 2013 modelling showed that for the full line (to Pearson), the peak-point in AM was westbound between Mount Pleasant and Yonge, at 6,000 passengers per hour. However not far behind is eastbound between Oakwood and Eglinton West, which is 5,750. So at worst, the peak-point ridership would drop by 250.

They would - the line 2 drop has long been part of the assumption of the DRL.

And it should push the peak-point on Line 2 from west of Sherbourne, to east of Pape. However, if you look at the current ridership, Line 2 east of Pape is still overloaded at times.

On Line 5 the 2013 modelling showed that for the full line (to Pearson), the peak-point in AM was westbound between Mount Pleasant and Yonge, at 6,000 passengers per hour. However not far behind is eastbound between Oakwood and Eglinton West, which is 5,750. So at worst, the peak-point ridership would drop by 250.
That is why I have never supported the DRL for Pape and it should go north on Coxwell or about to connect to Don Mills as a straight line. Its is also why I don't support the DRL going to Dundas West Station, but to Jane and then north on Jane.

Regardless where they connect to line 2, ridership will increase to where it is today over time since not everyone want to go to the core of the city in the first place.

Just call Bloor-Danforth the "central" E/W street as it is the first rapid transit (subway) to go E/W. I know the TTC and Metrolinx will never do this, but Bloor can keep being the "central" N/S designation, Sheppard can be North and Queen can be South (as they are both subways). Another way is to have completely unique station/stop names, where the only way to know where you are is to know your geography well, or just memorize the map/name to intersection/poi location. Having some unique station names while others are street/intersection-based is confusing to "the average GTA citizen", but IMO is the best way. Just don't have 4+ word long station names (Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station is OK and Aga Khan Park & Museum Stop is too much).

I'd prefer either have multiple stations with the same name or hyphenate, like they already did for Bloor-Yonge and Sheppard-Yonge.

Still drives me crazy that they aren't renaming Eglinton to Eglinton-Yonge with the Crosstown under construction.

Try over 10,000 units. The LCBO Lands alone are expected to house around 10,000 people. You have Tridel's complex of 5 buildings, a college campus, significant employment space of several million square feet, thousands of condo units in One Yonge, LCBO Lands, Daniels Lakeshore, 215 Lake Shore, Tridel's Lower Donlands, the next waterfront Toronto phase which is looking for a development partner right now, etc.

Today the the East Bayfront has a school, office, and condo. By the time the LRT is built, it will have far, far more. You cannot underestimate the growth of residential, employment, and institutional uses in the area. It is critically important a proper transit link is constructed.
There is even talk of building a new francophone university in the East Bayfront now.

Back