News   Apr 22, 2024
 785     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 265     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 669     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

I wrote to Tory to tell him that many people do not think we pay too little tax and would actually pay more if iot was used for transit, affordable housing and other City priorities. I got this in reply!

"The Mayor expects the TTC, along with all other City programs, agencies and corporations, to take further efforts to reduce the budget and meet the Council directive. This will allow the City to spend money wisely and invest in the priorities of the city like transit, infrastructure and housing.

Sincerely,

Daniela Magisano
Special Assistant
Office of the Mayor"

So, the TTC cuts its budget so it can have more money?

I wrote to Tory to tell him that many people do not think we pay too little tax and would actually pay more if iot was used for transit, affordable housing and other City priorities. I got this in reply!

"The Mayor expects the TTC, along with all other City programs, agencies and corporations, to take further efforts to reduce the budget and meet the Council directive. This will allow the City to spend money wisely and invest in the priorities of the city like transit, infrastructure and housing.

Sincerely,

Daniela Magisano
Special Assistant
Office of the Mayor"

So Byford should close the Line 4 Sheppard Subway and Line 5 Scarborough RT (after 7 PM Monday to Friday, and all day Saturday and Sunday), as per orders of the Lord Mayor. The Lord Mayor's wish is Byford's command.

Then city council will put it back in, to get the priority for transit, that is needed.

So we should be going to our Councillors (plural), not the Mayor.

Last edited:

Yes. We've actually been through this shell game once with the last bus purchase under Tory which is coming out of the operating budget instead of the capital budget; capital from current was the term used and it was done specifically to avoid going over the cities debt limit.

So, TTC will trim the operating budget to free money (increase debt payments) to construct Smart Track.

Another (better) option is to increase revenue to pay for both new capital projects and operate the system.

Sincerely,

Daniela Magisano
Special Assistant
Office of the Mayor"

We need to cut funding for transit, to invest in transit.

Your City of Toronto budget cuts at work. From link.

Trinity Bellwoods tree at centre of fatal accident flagged as hazard two year ago, documents show

The Siberian elm was at risk for disease or decay if left untreated, according to an audit of trees done after the 2013 ice storm...

Right now, trees are pruned at least once every 15 years. The goal was to increase the frequency to every seven years by 2016 — a target that’s now been pushed back to 2023 because of budget pressures, the ice storm and the ash borer...

John Tory's "efficiencies" in action.

More crumbling TCHC units to close amid budget pressures: CEO

Screen shot 2016-08-20 at 12.19.17 PM.png

Last year, this community was slated for revival, one of three areas selected for co-ordinated and expedited repairs. Mayor John Tory was on hand in September to make the announcement. He called the closure of units due to lack of repairs “not an acceptable situation.”

With a council-approved budget direction led by Tory requiring all agencies and departments to find 2.6 per cent in savings, the housing corporation’s CEO Greg Spearn said inevitable cuts will mean cancelling quality-of-life improvements proposed by Tory’s own housing taskforce last year.

Hey at least Mayor Tory did make that announcement last September. That's the important part.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...units-to-close-amid-budget-pressures-ceo.html

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-08-20 at 12.19.17 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-08-20 at 12.19.17 PM.png
    384.5 KB · Views: 635
John Tory's "efficiencies" in action.

More crumbling TCHC units to close amid budget pressures: CEO

View attachment 83991

Hey at least Mayor Tory did make that announcement last September. That's the important part.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...units-to-close-amid-budget-pressures-ceo.html

Successive mayors have promised action on TCHC and by and large, failed to deliver.

To Miller's credit he got the ball rolling on some of the larger community revitalizations like Regent Park, but much of the housing stock continued to slide backwards, even during his term.

The reality for any Mayor (and council) is that some form of additional revenue is required to maintain and finance existing (and/or new) TCHC housing.

That revenue, in part, may be transfers from other levels of government, but there is no expectation of a windfall in that area.

It may be municipal taxes; but that means tolls and/or well above inflation property tax hikes, neither of which any council has shown a willingness to endorse.

One of the more logical is to raise floor rent levels in TCHC housing.

Before I get pounced on; the current entry rate, for someone on OW is often as low as $210 per month, because that's 30% of gross income.

The problem with that, is that the province allocates $415 for shelter (a ridiculously low amount that only public housing can fulfill, but I digress).

That means roughly up to $205 is being left on the table in some cases..........money that would flow from Queen's Park, not the low income tenant.

I see no reason for the City to do Queen's Park favours here.

Charge the maximum allowed in that scenario.

Few, if any, low income earners would earn less.

Where that rare case exists, the City could waive the normal minimum rent.

One of the reasons that we have so little new rental construction in this city (notwithstanding the recent uptick) is that shelter allowances are so low (and minimum wage) that the private sector can't possibly meet any demand for rental housing at the low end of the spectrum.

I happen to favour raising both min. wage and shelter allowance (over a few years) so that the amount for shelter is at least close to low-end, fair market value.

By doing that, you don't force people to move into public housing, or incur moving costs, if they were already in an affordable apartment.

You also have a lot more money to maintain public housing; and you have an incentive for landlords to build new to serve the upper-middle and middle income rental markets and use older stock to target those with lower-income situations.

That, at least to me, would seem sensible.

In the interim, I think TCHC should aggressively pursue community revitalization, similar to Regent Park, where the private sector can pick up a large portion of the tab, in exchange for some high-value land, while also creating a mixed-income community in the process.

That will be hard at some of the Suburban properties, but a plan for Moss Park and the areas of TCHC to east, when combined, should offer some good opportunities, as should the sites they own just west of the Beach neighbourhood by Queen/Coxwell.

The crumbling Toronto Community Housing is the result of fiscal conservatism and basic penny-pinching from administration, city council, Queens Park, Parliament Hill, and especially the electorate who demand that government save money at all cost, instead of saving lives at all cost.

You want to help? We'll have to increase the revenue sources. That's taxes.

Else we'll just put them out on the streets.
scrooge-1951-1.png

The crumbling Toronto Community Housing is the result of TCHC management paying themselves great wages instead of money flowing towards repairs plus the constant hiring of staff. I have checked their website under careers

Back