Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

Agreed. A setback would allow more significant height.

That I wouldn't mind... but for the love of God PLEASE don't tamper with the historic buildings. A setback backing onto the parkette would look quite nice.

It looks to me like something out of 1970's Japan. Curious. Tricked out right, it could be futuristic fun.

But - I don't think this is the location for it. It really treats the existing two buildings badly, especially 199 Yonge. I think all the buildings lose in this arrangement.
I think the facadectomy seems particularly harsh. The flayed front of 199 Yonge cemented to this background looks artlessly weird and forlorn, to me.

I had always pictured a galleria between the buildings, with the towers built above and behind the heritage buildings
I always pictured something like this too, with the tower shifted to the south two lots of the site, appropriately set back, not too tall, and (hopefully) ravishing to look at.

Last edited:
It's wild and bold and audacious. It would be the pride of London or Paris, favoured by rock gods and superstar DJs.

I say build it.

As and insider I know that this project has fallen through - there were issues with financing and the hotel pulled out, there are no plans at this point to do anything with the property.

While I certainly don't want these two heritage buildings to fall apart through neglect, I am glad that this proposal fell through. Maybe someday a tower behind these two buildings will be built, with or without an atrium between the two existing buildings. That would be the best option, I think.

There are no shortages of people willing to put forth ideas for this, specifically the theaters in the area, for some reason Parasuco is not open to discussing development at this moment as this location is not a priority.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This location would be perfect for a Simon's. A clean modern glass box connecting the two historic structures.

Some interior shots of 199 Yonge courtesy of Jonathan Castellino:

3593325705_e84b8989fd_b.jpg

3594136268_93e9beaea7_b.jpg

3593342391_1bceb765ab_z.jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This location would be perfect for a Simon's. A clean modern glass box connecting the two historic structures.

GREAT idea! i hate seeing these poor old buildings sitting empty and lifeless

Back