News   Apr 18, 2024
 340     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 730     1 

Markham Place Condos (VHL Developments) - Real Estate -

Gargamel

Member Bio
Reaction score
indeed this project's not pretty ... but I'm surprised how ON TIME construction is happening ... hey on the plus side at they DO have floor-to-ceiling windows (shown in the last photo above)

"ON TIME"? Man the occupancy date for phase one bldg was summer 2008 and for phase 2 was summer 2009. In addition, I have never seen a builder make so many changes to the original design. It does not seem to be fair. BTW is it usual to extend the occupancy date for more than a year and change the design substantially?

welcome to UT Gargamel ~

I take my comment back on the timing of this project ~ I guess to an outsider (non-purchaser) this project seemed to have rised quickly not realizing the headaches you've gone through ... could you share what changes VHL has also made to this project (in addition to exterior changes of course)

welcome to UT Gargamel ~

I take my comment back on the timing of this project ~ I guess to an outsider (non-purchaser) this project seemed to have rised quickly not realizing the headaches you've gone through ... could you share what changes VHL has also made to this project (in addition to exterior changes of course)

Thanks for your reply. I can not really say what is being changed in the interior. They pushed the occupancy date of bldg 2 to summer 2010 so I am looking to it still from the outside...:). I hope someone who bought a suite in the east bldg will share the information with us.

"ON TIME"? Man the occupancy date for phase one bldg was summer 2008 and for phase 2 was summer 2009. In addition, I have never seen a builder make so many changes to the original design. It does not seem to be fair. BTW is it usual to extend the occupancy date for more than a year and change the design substantially?

I guess I bought into the 2nd phase late as my OD has always been summer2010. I too thought they were ahead of schedule. I remember reading a Star article in 2006 about this project, I didn't think anything of the year as most projects are delayed at some point (looking@blossom across from the site). I THINK once an OD is set the builder can change it as long as you are notified 6mos in advance. When did you purchase?

Yes exterior design has significantly changed ex:colour. They're finishing the balancies now hopefully it will be spec to rendering. I'm concerned with the driveway entrance/exit it seems too tight considering the traffic expected from residence and patrons of the commer. building.

I guess I bought into the 2nd phase late as my OD has always been summer2010. I too thought they were ahead of schedule. I remember reading a Star article in 2006 about this project, I didn't think anything of the year as most projects are delayed at some point (looking@blossom across from the site). I THINK once an OD is set the builder can change it as long as you are notified 6mos in advance. When did you purchase?

Yes exterior design has significantly changed ex:colour. They're finishing the balancies now hopefully it will be spec to rendering. I'm concerned with the driveway entrance/exit it seems too tight considering the traffic expected from residence and patrons of the commer. building.

I bought in Jan 2008. That time the OD was set for summer 2009. Yes, I did get a notice that the OD for Phase II would be Spring 2010. But if look on the website they changed to summer 2010. With all these experiences, I am skeptical that it would be ready even for summer 2010. I would say fall 2010.

Nice! I'll be honest, I wasn't a fan of the off white colour but its shaping up nicely it'll look better once they take the paper of the windows.

I already picked my colour scheme and upgrades for phase 2 due next year I passed on the undermount sink, they were asking for too much. Apparently phase 1 occupancy is Dec 27 can't wait to check out the interior.

Phase I occupancy started in December. I was only able to see the lobby and elevators. The lobby looked smaller than expected but impressive. Its not completely finished so I expect it to look a lot better esp when they bring in the furniture(if they stick to plan :rolleyes:). I'll try to take a few pics next time :)

I got a notice letting e know that the tentative date of occupancy has been extended to OCT 1 2010. This is the second extension. The first one was from July 31 2009 to June 21 2010. What surprised me is that the phrase
"subject to our rights to further extend the Occupancy Date...". Are they allowed to extend more than 2x? This is the second one. I am confused because some ppl say that the max. a developer can extend is 2x. Can anyone clarify this for me? I am talking about the Phase II bldg.

Thanks,

can someone tell me what phase is 8 Rosebank? Phase 1 or 2? If it's phase 1, then what was the occupancy and register date? Thank you in advance.

Markham Place, Building B, 8 Rosebank Dr, M1B 0A1

it is phase ii and the occupancy date was originally summer 2009, then extended to June 20 2010, now again it is extended to OCT 1 2010. hopefully this is the last extension. That was what I was asking. This is the second extenxion and they are not allowed to extend anymore, right? 2x and that is it. but the paper I got says "subject to our rights to further extend the Occupancy Date..." which i do not understand why.

Last edited by a moderator:
actually i was looking around, and people started occupying 8 Rosebank, so that must be PHASE 1. 6 Rosebank should be occupancy around Oct 10, 2010. I found this info myself b/c a friend knows someone who rented out his unit out already at 8 Rosebank. I called the sales office numerous times and they seem to be non-existant. Their sales office is never opened, and there's a number that they want you to call but no one ever answers or return your call.

Yes, they do not pick up phone calls and they do not reply to messages either. They used to have their sales office open. Perhaps, they moved to the PHASE I bldg. I remember once being told to go there if I wanted to have a look at the finished suites. Or they just simply finished selling and they are not there anymore. Anyways, I did not like the letter they sent me because they already extended twice and I am not sure if I will be happy with another extension (third time). I think that is illegal also.

VHL customer service experience

Gents,

Let me share some facts I experienced with VHL on phase I. Initial occupancy date was August 2008. I’ve got letters of delay, first for 6 months, second another 6 months, then 3 more for 3 months each.I ended up with the interim occupancy on March 2010. From what I’m seeing they concentrate the work on the commercial building, so who is on phase II should expect the interim occupancy sometime one year from now. The contract is that you could go out only 2 years after the first interim occupancy date.
The worst part is that they are deliberatelly delay the land transfer and they asked for 12 months rent for the phase I.
Watch out for the PDI. The technique they use is like this. If the apartment is unfinished the PDI inspection is scheduled close to the occupancy date and far to the end month. If you are on rent and the work required it takes longer time you may give up something, sign the PDI and go to occupancy. Once they got your signature they don’t communicate with you. Always they are mentioning the TARION warranty but don’t forget this will delay further the repairs for another 5 months at least. Customer Service… you should forget about this. Good luck to all of us!

Follow markhamplace condos experience on twitter

Thanks for the info. It seems the situation is frustrating. How much is the rent? who decides the amount and how? How will this affect the mortgage? All these are topics of interest. :confused:

I have created a site on twitter so that we could share our experience with VHL developments (Markhamplace condos).

http://twitter.com/markhamplace

Last edited:
I ended up with the interim occupancy on March 2010.

wow march 2010? Back in November they told me occupancy started in phase I end of December, are you on the higher floors?

The worst part is that they are deliberatelly delay the land transfer and they asked for 12 months rent for the phase I

12 months phantom rent??? Even for purchasers of higher floors? And what happens to the RBC rates will they honour rates until closing which now seems more than likely to exceed the 18mos hold they're offering?

If the apartment is unfinished the PDI inspection is scheduled close to the occupancy date and far to the end month. If you are on rent and the work required it takes longer time you may give up something, sign the PDI and go to occupancy. Once they got your signature they don’t communicate with you.

thank you for the tips I'm definitely not signing the PDI until everything is to my liking I can wait for reparis if necessary but do I have to pay the phantom rent even while I'm waiting for repairs if the occupancy date has passed?

An agent told me they've increased the development levy fees and dumped it on purchasers. They wouldn't remove them completely but they agreed to cap mine I hope I'm in the clear.

How do you find the interior finishings and details? Are you happy with the workmanship and material?

Gargamel said:
I have created a site on twitter so that we could share our experience with VHL developments (Markhamplace condos). http://twitter.com/markhamplace

great idea maybe this is the push I needed to finally join twitter:D

Back